Contribute
Register

Installed, but booting to a black screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine seems to be fixed. I think it was a Multibeast setting in particular, and then some tweaking of the BIOS. Unfortunately I don't remember exactly what I set in Multibeast that made the difference, but it may have been setting Intel HD6xx to on in the Customize menu. And I think Intel Graphics Fixup was set to on as well. After that I had a reboot issue at the BIOS stage where I'd have to F12 into BIOS boot settings each time to start off the Hackintosh SSD, but then I did some fiddling with the BIOS boot priority settings.

I now seem to be able to reboot successfully to the SSD every time.

In your case, if you haven't done this already, I'd probably start again by erasing the USB stick and rebuilding Unibeast on it. I think it can help sometimes. Even better, if you have an alternative stick to try out, put Unibeast on that. As you may have already noticed from this thread, this is about as technical as I get. Someone else may have more detailed advice for things you can try and structured troubleshooting, but trying a fresh build/different stick can be surprisingly effective, it may just get you past the "no entry" circle and installing the OS. If not, I'd imagine there's something in the BIOS that isn't set correctly - probably the boot settings on the Power tab.

Hi Stackshoe

I have a similar issue but, in my case, I'm able to install the Hackintosh, my issue is after I shut it down or restart it it's not entering the system just reboot after screen logo appear

Mine seems to be fixed. I think it was a Multibeast setting in particular, and then some tweaking of the BIOS. Unfortunately I don't remember exactly what I set in Multibeast that made the difference, but it may have been setting Intel HD6xx to on in the Customize menu. And I think Intel Graphics Fixup was set to on as well. After that I had a reboot issue at the BIOS stage where I'd have to F12 into BIOS boot settings each time to start off the Hackintosh SSD, but then I did some fiddling with the BIOS boot priority settings.

In your case, if you haven't done this already, I'd probably start again by erasing the USB stick and rebuilding Unibeast on it. I think it can help sometimes. Even better, if you have an alternative stick to try out, put Unibeast on that. As you may have already noticed from this thread, this is about as technical as I get. Someone else may have more detailed advice for things you can try and structured troubleshooting, but trying a fresh build/different stick can be surprisingly effective, it may just get you past the "no entry" circle and installing the OS. If not, I'd imagine there's something in the BIOS that isn't set correctly - probably the boot settings on the Power tab.

Two questions:

When you created the boot do you get the HFS file?

For the BIOS settings, i assume you only found 3 from that list we mentioned earlier like i did, can you remember what else did you change?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-01 at 7.43.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-01 at 7.43.57 AM.png
    69.9 KB · Views: 65

And one thing i noticed when i download High Sierra from the app store a few days ago it is version 13.5.04 is that the same version you are booting on the usb or did you get an older version 10.13.3?

Offhand, I can't really remember what I set in BIOS that wasn't already specified in the Installation section on this site. The three settings you've been asking about are neither visible in the BIOS nor mentioned in the motherboard manual, so you can safely disregard them. Make sure your other BIOS settings are still as specified (XMP to Profile 1 etc).

I assume that if you look in the BIOS menus for boot configuration (in the Power tab I think) your SSD shows up. If it doesn't, you'd need to check the SATA cable at each end to confirm that it's properly connected, and then go back to the BIOS to see that it is listed.

As I've already said, I think it's worth starting with a fresh build of Unibeast on your USB stick, and even a different USB stick if you have one available. It's what I always do when things don't seem to be going to plan. It's very little extra trouble, and helps eliminate a possible (even if not probable) source of the problem.

I used the latest available version of Unibeast, and downloaded the OS direct from the App store on Friday. My version is 13.5.04.

With my install attempts, there was never really any problem getting the OS installed onto the SSD. I could also do the Mac setup routine, choosing a name for my user account and selecting the region etc. The problem seemed to be after that, and I'm not sure if it was connected to the Multibeast settings I made, or was just happening anyway. I never had your "No entry" issue; after the install, I was booting to the Clover screen and getting 4 or 5 things showing up: the External, the HFS you mentioned, the SSD for High Sierra, a Recovery partition, and I think one more, something like Boot High Sierra from Preboot File.

If in your install you can get as far as booting from the USB stick and arrive at the Utilities screen, I think you should erase your SSD, set it in the same way you set your USB stick for the Unibeast build (Mac OS Extended (Journaled), and GUID Partition Map), then after it's been wiped, do the install again and see if you can get further along than you have so far. You should be arriving eventually back, after some installation and an automatic restart, back at the Clover screen, and be able to select your SSD to boot from. Then I think it will do more installation (automatically) and another reboot and then you can do your Apple settings. This is all from memory, and I did this so many times it's more not less confused in my head...You'll probably have to select the SSD to boot from each time you arrive back at the Clover screen.

Anyway, if you get that far, eventually you'll be able to move on to the Multibeast installation, and I think you should try the settings I suggested a couple of posts back.

No guarantees your problem will be sorted, but that's about all I've got. Bear in mind that I had considerably more difficulty with this build than I have done in the past. After much time struggling with it, I was within a hair's breadth of throwing in the towel and installing Ubuntu instead (it's for HTPC, so to be honest, there's no real advantage to running a Hackintosh for it), but on my last go-round I seemed to hit on the right settings.

Offhand, I can't really remember what I set in BIOS that wasn't already specified in the Installation section on this site. The three settings you've been asking about are neither visible in the BIOS nor mentioned in the motherboard manual, so you can safely disregard them. Make sure your other BIOS settings are still as specified (XMP to Profile 1 etc).

I assume that if you look in the BIOS menus for boot configuration (in the Power tab I think) your SSD shows up. If it doesn't, you'd need to check the SATA cable at each end to confirm that it's properly connected, and then go back to the BIOS to see that it is listed.

As I've already said, I think it's worth starting with a fresh build of Unibeast on your USB stick, and even a different USB stick if you have one available. It's what I always do when things don't seem to be going to plan. It's very little extra trouble, and helps eliminate a possible (even if not probable) source of the problem.

I used the latest available version of Unibeast, and downloaded the OS direct from the App store on Friday. My version is 13.5.04.

With my install attempts, there was never really any problem getting the OS installed onto the SSD. I could also do the Mac setup routine, choosing a name for my user account and selecting the region etc. The problem seemed to be after that, and I'm not sure if it was connected to the Multibeast settings I made, or was just happening anyway. I never had your "No entry" issue; after the install, I was booting to the Clover screen and getting 4 or 5 things showing up: the External, the HFS you mentioned, the SSD for High Sierra, a Recovery partition, and I think one more, something like Boot High Sierra from Preboot File.

If in your install you can get as far as booting from the USB stick and arrive at the Utilities screen, I think you should erase your SSD, set it in the same way you set your USB stick for the Unibeast build (Mac OS Extended (Journaled), and GUID Partition Map), then after it's been wiped, do the install again and see if you can get further along than you have so far. You should be arriving eventually back, after some installation and an automatic restart, back at the Clover screen, and be able to select your SSD to boot from. Then I think it will do more installation (automatically) and another reboot and then you can do your Apple settings. This is all from memory, and I did this so many times it's more not less confused in my head...You'll probably have to select the SSD to boot from each time you arrive back at the Clover screen.

Anyway, if you get that far, eventually you'll be able to move on to the Multibeast installation, and I think you should try the settings I suggested a couple of posts back.

No guarantees your problem will be sorted, but that's about all I've got. Bear in mind that I had considerably more difficulty with this build than I have done in the past. After much time struggling with it, I was within a hair's breadth of throwing in the towel and installing Ubuntu instead (it's for HTPC, so to be honest, there's no real advantage to running a Hackintosh for it), but on my last go-round I seemed to hit on the right settings.

I assume you purchase the Samsung SSD 250 GB? Is this connected properly do i need to plug the other connection to the SSD too? Im very close to finally installing it. Can you show how you have it plugged in into your motherboard?

Attachments

• IMG_0122.JPG
    IMG_0122.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 66
Last edited:
I assume you purchase the Samsung SSD 250 GB?

No, Transcend 240GB. Carefully selected on the grounds that it was cheaper. And my belief, correct or otherwise, that it doesn't make much difference which SSD is installed.

Your SATA cable looks correctly connected, but you see that massive empty space next to it with the pins? Your power cable's missing. There should be a cable among those available from the power supply that will plug right in there.

If you've been trying to put an OS on an unpowered SSD, that's why installation is aborting. The circle warning you're getting is a giveaway, it suggests (I believe) either no device, device incorrectly connected, or problem with BIOS settings for the device. In your case, incomplete connection.

You plug that pup in. I'd say you're about to make some progress with the installation.

If you install the OS and get to the Apple setup screens, I think you'll need to select the "no internet" option to proceed to the end of the setup. You can sort out internet later. Note that in the buyer's guide

https://www.tonymacx86.com/posts/1771939/edit

it is stated that the built in wifi won't work under Mac OS. I'm adding a PCI-based board to my system to get wifi internet, but I haven't installed it yet.

Last edited:
No, Transcend 240GB. Carefully selected on the grounds that it was cheaper. And my belief, correct or otherwise, that it doesn't make much difference which SSD is installed.

Your SATA cable looks correctly connected, but you see that massive empty space next to it with the pins? Your power cable's missing. There should be a cable among those available from the power supply that will plug right in there.

If you've been trying to put an OS on an unpowered SSD, that's why installation is aborting. The circle warning you're getting is a giveaway, it suggests (I believe) either no device, device incorrectly connected, or problem with BIOS settings for the device. In your case, incomplete connection.

You plug that pup in. I'd say you're about to make some progress with the installation.

I got it to work. The only issue i have is i ran multi beast and restarted the thing, now i goes to the clover settings and computer goes into what seems sleep mode (monitor goes black). I try to reinstall the who process again but i cant run the boot of my usb cause then halfway loading it just goes black.

Last edited:
I got it to work. The only issue i have is i ran multi beast and restarted the thing, now i goes to the clover settings and computer goes into what seems sleep mode (monitor goes black). I try to reinstall the who process again but i cant run the boot of my usb cause then halfway loading it just goes black.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back