Contribute
Register

Installation of Yosemite with UniBeast 6 from Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you installing Clover to the HDD UEFI only or are you installing Legacy mode? If installing Legacy mode, select also to install Clover to ESP for ATI GPUs.

The situation looks like this:
1. I used Unibeast 6 to create a bootable thumb drive with Yosemite on it. With this step I selected in Unibeast Legacy mode.
2. Installed Yosemite on my HDD via booting from the created bootable thumb drive with Clover as bootloader on it.
3. (As shown in the pictures above) After the installation (and only after that) the selection of "RECOVERY" appeared. So you had to do first the installation of Yosemite on the empty HDD to tickle Clover to show the "RECOVERY" option.
(Needed it because:...)
4. I went for "RECOVERY" at the BootScreen of Clover and installed over Yosemite the Time Machine Backup of Lion from my BackUP HDD, to get all my programs with licenses restored.
5. Again at the boot screen of Clover, I chose the option "EXTERNAL" to install now Yosemite over Lion on my HDD again.
Finally I've got with this process all my Programs licensed running on a new HDD and using Yosemite.

To finish the process to get the system running as a standalone I did run MultiBeast 7.5.0 and installed (besides several other things) Chimera v4.1.0 as bootloader. It's not clear for me to where MultiBeast installs its files. Some of it I found in the folder EXTRA.
But I don't know to which directory Chimera went.
-> HDD UEFI? I am using only OS X, nothing else. The HDD is a completely fresh one ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005T3GRLY/?tag=tonymacx86com-20 ). No Win7 Win10... or Linux on it.

Finally, I went for a restart as told in the guide, but got the "boot0: error".

Last edited:
The situation looks like this:
1. I used Unibeast 6 to create a bootable thumb drive with Yosemite on it. With this step I selected in Unibeast Legacy mode.
2. Installed Yosemite on my HDD via booting from the created bootable thumb drive with clover as Bootlader on it.
3. (As shown in the pictures above) After the installation (and only after that) the selection of "RECOVERY" appeared. So you had to do first the installation of Yosemite on the empty HDD to tickle Clover to show the "RECOVERY" option.
(Needed it because:...)
4. I went for "RECOVERY" at the BootScreen of Clover and installed over Yosemite on my HDD the Time Machine Backup of Lion from my BackUP HDD to get all my programs with licenses restored.
5. Again at the Bootscreen of Clover, I chose the option "EXTERNAL" to install again Yosemite over Lion on my HDD.
Finally I've got with this process all my Programs licensed running on a new HDD and using Yosemite.

To finish the process an get the system running as a standalone I did run MultiBeast 7.5.0 and installed besides several things Chimera v4.1.0 as bootloader. It's not clear for me to where MultiBeast installs its things. Some of it I found in the folder EXTRA.
But I don't know to which directory Chimera went.
-> HDD UEFI? I am using only OSX nothing else. The HDD is a completely fresh one ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005T3GRLY/?tag=tonymacx86com-20 ). No Win7 10... or Linux on it.

Finally, I went for a restart as told in the guide, but got the "boot0: error".

Your hdd is too big for OS X to comprehend.

Read here....

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/boot0-error-the-official-guide.65706/

Your hdd is too big for OS X to comprehend.

Read here....

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/boot0-error-the-official-guide.65706/

@CaptainKernelPanic:
Thank you for this hint. I have tried it in an earlier step and sadly in my case it did not help.

@Adrian B:
Thank you also for helping. I have tested your links. In the 2nd one, where you execute "STEP 2: Prepare Bootable USB Drive" POINT no.12 "Type the following, enter password and hit enter. This command completely erases the USB, then creates native OS X installer media from the Install OS X Yosemite Application."
... does fail, cause of the situation that my Yosemite version isn't valid any more (after I had copied it back into the applications folder).

Reading once more over all the advice, coming from all of you guys, I saw a last chance in doing this (had misunderstood Going Bald the last time):
Apple changed to validation codes for all of the download versions of OS X in January of this year. Attempting to install a version with an app you downloaded before then will not work.
If you have downloaded the app before it should still be available from the App Store - look under the Purchased items tab.
What is your System Definition? You cannot download Sierra using MacPro3,1, the default of MultiBeast for all these years. You can try changing it to iMac14,2 and see if that works.

And actually, that worked in the case of purchasing a valid OS X version ("MacOSX Sierra"). For that I figured that my system would work as iMac12,1 while it would run on OS X 10.7.3 :) (haven't tried iMac14,2 yet). So I change under Lion from MacPro3,1 to iMac12,1 (Lion is running on a HDD 1TB Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003)

So lately, I went through the Installation Guide of Sierra (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ierra-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.200564/) by using as planed and mentioned a new HDD 3TB Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001.

I am now almost done with the installation. Have set up the system in MultiBeast as a iMac12,1 so that I can restore later on my programs and licenses via Time Machine (cause otherwise TimeMachine would not let me do so, it would tell me that the BackUps came from another MacOSX).
So the HDD already boots as standalone with Clover as bootloader, but now I keep getting a black screen after the Apple Logo.
So in "Options" of Clover bootscreen I've set the boot flag "-v" to get a hint where it hangs (see picture below): P1080204small.jpg

Do you have any advice / ideas?

Last edited:

Solved this problem (problem was: see picture below). Reason was that Clover is set by default to an "iMac 14,2" and my Sierra configuration was set to iMac 12,1 (came with the Time Machine backup (Lion)). After setting the configuration at the bootscreen of Clover -> Options -> SMBIOS -> "Product Name" and "Board Version" to "iMac 12,1", everything started as expected.

So this problem is solved:
View attachment 228768

=> Now, system is set up as "iMac 14,2".

Look at the config.plist - in the Graphics section are you injecting ATI / nVidia / Intel? For Radeon card nVidia and Intel should be = no. ATI (may show as AMD) for a fully supported card should be = no. If having problems or if you were using GE=Yes with Chimera/Chameleon boot loader, try setting it to Inject ATI = Yes.

Well, I keep getting the black screen (or a frozen window) issue:
All of a sudden while I am doing things or even nothing either the screen goes black or all of the windows freeze at their spot.
In case of the frozen window situation, the "spinning colored wheel (luck wheel)" would appear. After a while the arrow comes back but all of the windows and everything else does stay frozen. A while later you would get the spinning wheel again and a short time later the system would do a restart on its own. Since that time, the automatic selection start of Sierra(HDD) in Clover is offline. ([Edit] Solved "AutoBootFunction": The config.plist (located in the EFI partition) had to be edit under Boot -> Default Boot Volume from name "Lion" to "Sierra HDD".)​

So far I tried "Inject ATI" as "YES" and "NO" -> no difference in solving the problem. In Lion I used GE = YES.

Here some pictures. Maybe you see something on them that needs to be changed or that I missed by now...

Setup of MultiBeast:
P1080212screenshot edit.jpg

In this case Inject ATI [+] (=active):
P1080246small.jpg P1080249small.jpg

P1080247small.jpg P1080248small.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

InjectATI [] "not active":
P1080250screenshot Inject ATI not active - edit.jpg

Last edited:
If you are now booting with Clover have you deleted/archived the /Extra folder from root of your installation? I am seeing Chimera in your installed software and I should not be seeing it if you are using Clover. Why so many entries for Clover and Chimera?

If you are now booting with Clover have you deleted/archived the /Extra folder from root of your installation? I am seeing Chimera in your installed software and I should not be seeing it if you are using Clover. Why so many entries for Clover and Chimera?

I used this link to clean up the TimeMachine (Lion)-BackUp: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/how-to-backup-and-remove-chimera-and-any-related-files.174317/

So yes, I am using the version of Clover which came with the latest MultiBeast version (for Sierra) an did the cleanup as told in the link above. The "Extra folder" is now in a separate folder directory (called: OSX Sierra_Yosemite Build/.../Lion_Files/Extra) and is deleted from the original directory.
Maybe I missed some extra ".kext" which were not listed in the link after point "7. Copy any additional kexts installed by MultiBeast into Yosemite Files. These include:..."

[EDIT]
Here pictures of my BIOS settings, maybe you see there something that should be set different:
P1080263small.jpg P1080264small.jpg

P1080265small.jpg P1080266small.jpg

* How can I find out if my system runs in 64-Bit Mode? BIOS is set at HPTE Mode to 64-bit mode (see last picture above)(to run programs in 64-Bit mode)
* Under which directory can I find Chimera?
* How can I change the number of entries of both? (In case of Clover: I guess they come by default. Did nothing to it. Only followed the Installation Guide of Sierra)

I have opened up a new thread, because I think this should belong to the Forum of "Sierra Desktop Support". To follow it see here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...top-after-full-installation-of-sierra.212216/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back