Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4 F5
CPU
i7-2700K
Graphics
GTX 960
Mac
  1. MacBook
Hello everyone,

I tried to solve this problem on my own, but I can't find a solution. So I need to ask you for help.

My problem is in Yosemite, running still on an external USB thumb by using UniBeast 6 (Clover):
-> 1. the "sand clock" = "colored luck wheel" appears...
-> 2. some seconds later my monitor goes black but stays on.

For a deeper look into it, I want to give you a shortened overview:
To upgrade to the next level, I opened my App Store an tried to download Sierra. As soon as I pressed the download button the App Store told me that I would not have the right HW for the OSX SW.
So I thought well this is wired and finally decided to install Yosemite on my system which I had downloaded on it long time ago (September 2014). But I never got to the point where it was necessary to upgrade in the past. So I copied Yosemite to my external HDD and deleted it from the application folder.
Today, I dropped Yosemite back again into the application folder to use it for UniBeast. But as I tried to create a bootable USB by using UniBeast 5, a restriction popped up that it would not let me do it, because it said something like "it would need a valid version of OSX 10.10". On the same step I was asked to download Yosemite again which was not possible for me, because of the described situation above. I found out that UniBeast is checking some how if its a legal version. But that only works if it does always stay in the application folder. So probably I screwed this up by deleting it from the application folder.

So I tried my luck with UniBeast 6 which uses Clover as bootloader. And "tada..." yes it worked. (https://www.tonymacx86.com/resources/unibeast-6-2-0.314/)

But now, here is the problem I run into (system is runing (still) with Clover booting from the USB drive):
- I installed Yosemite on one of my new HDD Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001.
- Finally, I entered Yosemite and the system settings to adjust my mouse, was done with that, wanted to do something else and all of a sudden:
-> 1. the "sand clock" = "colored luck wheel" appeared...
-> 2. some seconds later my monitor went orange with stripes in it... so...

... I restarted the system. Did boot again from the USB using Clover. Entered Yosemite, opended MultiBeast 7.5. and as I was trying to set things up in it for later use in the system, it happened again:
-> 1. the "sand clock" = "colored luck wheel" appeared
-> 2. but this time some seconds later my monitor went black and did stay on.

Then I tried something else.
I did a hard restart and I chose the option drive "Recovery" on the boot screen of Clover, cause I needed to use Time Machine (which you can find in the "Recovery" drive of clover) to create a recovery on my 1st of 2 new HDD ST3000DM001 to check if I could create a clone of my actually working LION system from my 3rd HDD (1TB).
After running the Time Machine process with Clover I found out that it did its job, but there was no Audio, USB 3.0 and it would not boot as expected before on its own. I still would need to run it by using the USB thumb with Clover on it.
So I did research on that issue and I found and watched this Video of "how to get an Hac running again by using Time Machine":

Finally, I did not follow this path any longer, cause I got the wish to get my "old system" upgraded to run it with Yosemite.
Why? Because I do not like to go through the license process of all my (legal used) programs again.

Problem:
So here is the Situation. By now, I installed Yosemite over the Lion system which I did backup with Time Machine on my new HDD. And in this setup I also get:
-> 1. the "sand clock" = "colored luck wheel" appears.
-> 2. some seconds later my monitor goes black but says on

Does anyone know this problem and do you have an idea what I can do to get the problem fixed.

Thank you for helping me out.

Kind regards

Apple changed to validation codes for all of the download versions of OS X in January of this year. Attempting to install a version with an app you downloaded before then will not work.
If you have downloaded the app before it should still be available from the App Store - look under the Purchased items tab.
What is your System Definition? You cannot download Sierra using MacPro3,1, the default of MultiBeast for all these years. You can try changing it to iMac14,2 and see if that works.

What is your System Definition? You cannot download Sierra using MacPro3,1, the default of MultiBeast for all these years. You can try changing it to iMac14,2 and see if that works.

Hi, my system is defined as an iMac12,2.
Do you have any ideas of my problem below?

Problem:
So here is the Situation. By now, I installed Yosemite over the Lion system which I did backup with Time Machine on my new HDD. And in this setup I also get:
-> 1. the "sand clock" = "colored luck wheel" appears.
-> 2. some seconds later my monitor goes black but says on

Something new happened. After a fresh restart from the last crash Yosemite told me that "a graphics problem did appear". So it seams like my problem might has to do with my Sapphire Radeon HD 6850. Any ideas on that how to solve it? :)

Something new happened. After a fresh restart from the last crash Yosemite told me that "a graphics problem did appear". So it seams like my problem might has to do with my Sapphire Radeon HD 6850. Any ideas on that how to solve it? :)
HD6850 should be natively supported - what frame buffer are you using? See the Post Installation->Graphics section for frame buffer vs AMD GPU

HD6850 should be natively supported - what frame buffer are you using? See the Post Installation->Graphics section for frame buffer vs AMD GPU

I guess you mean with Post Installation using MultiBeasts option of "Graphics", then I can say that I used non of it by now, cause of the fact that my monitor does keep turning black as soon as I try to set things up in MultiBeast.

If I go to System Information in OS X the system does tell me under Graphics >>AMD Radeon HD 6xxx 1024 MB<<
Should I delete any files (e. g. in the "Extra"-folder) and restart before I open MultiBeast?

Thank you for your help so far!:thumbup:

Last edited:
Hi Going Bald,
do you have any advice for me about the question above?

Or maybe should I buy another graphics card?
If yes, which one would you recommend so that it definitely works with Yosemite and Lion, and the performance is good enough for a later 4k resolution. At the moment I prefer to use DVI ports, cause of my monitor (Dell U3011) and being save with getting an output signal from the graphics card while the system runs Lion as a backup. But for later use it could also work with HDMI ports.

Hi Going Bald,
do you have any advice for me about the question above?

Or maybe should I buy another graphics card?
If yes, which one would you recommend so that it definitely works with Yosemite and Lion, and the performance is good enough for a later 4k resolution. At the moment I prefer to use DVI ports, cause of my monitor (Dell U3011) and being save with getting an output signal from the graphics card while the system runs Lion as a backup. But for later use it could also work with HDMI ports.
Look at the config.plist - in the Graphics section are you injecting ATI / nVidia / Intel? For Radeon card nVidia and Intel should be = no. ATI (may show as AMD) for a fully supported card should be = no. If having problems or if you were using GE=Yes with Chimera/Chameleon boot loader, try setting it to Inject ATI = Yes.

Look at the config.plist - in the Graphics section are you injecting ATI / nVidia / Intel? For Radeon card nVidia and Intel should be = no. ATI (may show as AMD) for a fully supported card should be = no. If having problems or if you were using GE=Yes with Chimera/Chameleon boot loader, try setting it to Inject ATI = Yes.

I guess you mean the config.plist from this post: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/how-to-install-os-x-yosemite-using-clover.144426/

I am using the thumb drive with "UniBeast 6" on it to boot on my HDD to get the system started. I figured by now two things which brought me so far that I was able now to run MultiBeast and get things installed. :)

1. I opended up MultiBeast. After I got described problem of the black screen above I went for a hard power off.
Did start up the machine by booting into the thumb drive again (Clover), chose first of all in "Clover boot screen" the button Options, went to "Graphics Injector menu" and set InjectATI: [+].

P1080158.jpg P1080159.jpg P1080163.jpg
Did exit the options and entered the HFS (HDD) with Yosemite on it.
Cause of the fact that "reopen windows while logging back in" was chosen before, Yosemite did load every last opened window. So MultiBeast was open again.
2. So I tried again to set things up and this time I had luck to get everything through till I was able to install things on the last step.

But this must have been luck, because after a new restart with the same procedure, to see if I had forgotten anything, my monitor went black again.
This is also a wired behavior, each single time I restart my system I have to plugin my thumb drive to a different USB 2.0 port, otherwise it would not be recognized from my BIOS.

Anyway. Now, I run into the situation of the "boot0: error" and found this: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/boot0-error-the-official-guide.65706/

But first, to get rid of the error I checked my BIOS settings to make sure that the HDD would be the one from which the system did try to boot from. There was everything fine. So I set back BIOS to the conditions before, to be able to boot from the thumb drive again.
To follow the instruction of the official guide of "Boot0 Error" and because of the story that I can't use UniBeast, I did reach "Terminal" by choosing "RECOVERY" in the bootloader screen of Clover (see picture above). As in the guide tolled, I did unmount my HDD "Lion" first and went then for the next step.

But here I get the following feedback - "No such file or directory":
P1080168small.jpg

Same if I write "dd if=/Volumes/Lion/usr/...", coming form this guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/boot0-error-the-official-guide.53295/

So do you have an advice for me what else I could try?
Maybe, could you give me a detailed guide, so that I don't need to ask that often.
Thank you :)

Last edited:
Are you installing Clover to the HDD UEFI only or are you installing Legacy mode? If installing Legacy mode, select also to install Clover to ESP for ATI GPUs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back