Contribute
Register

Install Guide : Intel Haswell NUC Core i5 (D54250WYK) V4 (Yosemite 10.10.4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, that is an awesome guide to install Yosemite on my NUC. Unfortunately, I cannot get to the OSX Installer screen.

I have done all the steps precisely (including copying the updated kernel for 10.10.5 from zip in the comments), but get stuck in the console output after entering

-v UseKernelCache=No GraphicsEnabler=No IGPEnabler=Yes IGPlatformID=0D220003 maxmem=4096

My configuration:

NUC5I7RYH (USB 3.0, Intel Core i7-5557U)

Ram Memory: 2 x Kingston ValueRAM (1x, 8GB, DDR3L-1600 (PC3-12800), SODIMM 204)
SSD / Hard Drive: Samsung 850 EVO (500GB, M.2 2280)
Wifi/Bluetooth card or devices: SanDisk Cruzer Fit CZ33 32GB USB 2.0 Low-Profile Flash Drive- SDCZ33-032G-B35
Make & Model of display: Philips HWS8220Q
Display connection type i.e HDMI or DisplayPort: DisplayPort
Whether you are using an adaptor cable or not: Apple HDMI-DisplayPort converter
If it is a boot related error, a clear and legible screenshot:

20150908125333.jpg

But mostly I got this:

20150908130022.jpg

And with -x I get this:

20150908130208.jpg

And with -v UseKernelCache=No this:

20150908130644.jpg

Your help is much appreciated!

Thanks, that is an awesome guide to install Yosemite on my NUC. Unfortunately, I cannot get to the OSX Installer screen.

I have done all the steps precisely (including copying the updated kernel for 10.10.5 from zip in the comments), but get stuck in the console output after entering

-v UseKernelCache=No GraphicsEnabler=No IGPEnabler=Yes IGPlatformID=0D220003 maxmem=4096

My configuration:

NUC5I7RYH (USB 3.0, Intel Core i7-5557U)

Always read carefully.

This guide is for Haswell NUC. You have a Broadwell NUC.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...42-guide-10-11-intel-broadwell-nuc-2-0-a.html

First of all, thanks for the great guide! It worked perfectly for me starting with 10.10.5 from scratch aside from I needed to add -no-zp to my boot flags or I would get kernel panics.

I am having some issues with secondary monitor graphics having a black bar down the side of the monitor. (See attached screenshot). Also the same problem as this guy is/was having: http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/159830-dual-monitor-black-bar.html

It is proper resolution, however it is some sort of rendering issue. It shows up on the boot loader screen as well.

Troubleshooting I have done:
- in bios switched between AUTO, Primary: DP Secondary: HDMI (and vise versa) - problem just moves to other monitor
- changed from 1GB IGD memory to 512mb
- swapped hardware to 3 different NUCs all with the same result (different ram, SSD, motherboard, power supply)
- Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist set to 2560x1440x32
- Extra/Themes/Default/theme.plist set to 2560x1440
- Tried 3 sets of NUC hardware/power supply/dif ram/dif SSD
- Tried swapping dual monitors to different models with same resolutions (Acer + Acer and Benq + Benq)
- Tried 2 different models of monitor at the same time (one Benq one Acer)
- Tried 30" Dell U3011 2560x1600 + 32" Acer 2560x1440 no luck
- Tried 20" Dell E-Series 1600x900 mDP-to-VGA + 32" Acer 2560x1440 and problem changed, black bar on 32" went vertical and appeared zoomed in (not native 2560x1440)
- Swapping the primary display in bios moves the problem to the opposite display/cable
- Tried installing an old version of this guide with Yosemite 10.10.2, exact same problem

One thing that fixes the problem is powering up the machine with only 1 monitor connected. Then after logging in, plug the 2nd display in and it works perfectly (until you reboot or power off, then the black bar shows up).

Hardware:
D54250WYK Intel NUC
16gb GSKILL DDR3L (using Chimera 4.0.1 instead of 4.1.0)
Samsung mSATA EVO 850 250gb
2x Acer 32" B326HUL @ 2560x1440 60hz (Also tried switching to 2x Benq 32" BL3200PH @ 2560x1440 and one of each model, same problem)
One monitor is Displayport to MiniDisplayport cable (swapped cables no change)
One monitor uses HDMI to miniHDMI cable (swapped cables no change)

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• black_bar.jpg
    black_bar.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 109
First of all, thanks for the great guide! It worked perfectly for me starting with 10.10.5 from scratch aside from I needed to add -no-zp to my boot flags or I would get kernel panics.

I am having some issues with secondary monitor graphics having a black bar down the side of the monitor. (See attached screenshot). Also the same problem as this guy is/was having: http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/159830-dual-monitor-black-bar.html

It is proper resolution, however it is some sort of rendering issue. It shows up on the boot loader screen as well.

Troubleshooting I have done:
- in bios switched between AUTO, Primary: DP Secondary: HDMI (and vise versa) - problem just moves to other monitor
- changed from 1GB IGD memory to 512mb
- swapped hardware to 3 different NUCs all with the same result (different ram, SSD, motherboard, power supply)
- Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist set to 2560x1440x32
- Extra/Themes/Default/theme.plist set to 2560x1440
- Tried 3 sets of NUC hardware/power supply/dif ram/dif SSD
- Tried swapping dual monitors to different models with same resolutions (Acer + Acer and Benq + Benq)
- Tried 2 different models of monitor at the same time (one Benq one Acer)
- Tried 30" Dell U3011 2560x1600 + 32" Acer 2560x1440 no luck
- Tried 20" Dell E-Series 1600x900 mDP-to-VGA + 32" Acer 2560x1440 and problem changed, black bar on 32" went vertical and appeared zoomed in (not native 2560x1440)
- Swapping the primary display in bios moves the problem to the opposite display/cable
- Tried installing an old version of this guide with Yosemite 10.10.2, exact same problem

One thing that fixes the problem is powering up the machine with only 1 monitor connected. Then after logging in, plug the 2nd display in and it works perfectly (until you reboot or power off, then the black bar shows up).

Hardware:
D54250WYK Intel NUC
16gb GSKILL DDR3L (using Chimera 4.0.1 instead of 4.1.0)
Samsung mSATA EVO 850 250gb
2x Acer 32" B326HUL @ 2560x1440 60hz (Also tried switching to 2x Benq 32" BL3200PH @ 2560x1440 and one of each model, same problem)
One monitor is Displayport to MiniDisplayport cable (swapped cables no change)
One monitor uses HDMI to miniHDMI cable (swapped cables no change)

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!

I have never run my NUC with 2 x monitors, since I have desktop computers with much more powerful graphics available.

One thing that does immediately spring to mind about this is the HDMI on this model NUC, and whether it is capable of pushing 2560 x 1440 or not; the only HDMI display I have here is a 1920 x 1200 model which of course works.

I would suggest looking at the HDMI spec for the NUC, that may reveal a possible reason why.

I have never run my NUC with 2 x monitors, since I have desktop computers with much more powerful graphics available.

One thing that does immediately spring to mind about this is the HDMI on this model NUC, and whether it is capable of pushing 2560 x 1440 or not; the only HDMI display I have here is a 1920 x 1200 model which of course works.

I would suggest looking at the HDMI spec for the NUC, that may reveal a possible reason why.

Thanks for the suggestion, but according to Intel it should do 3840x2160 @ 30hz and 2560x1440 @ 60hz. It does do it too if you wait to plug the 2nd monitor in until you boot into the OS, then it works as expected....

Thanks for the suggestion, but according to Intel it should do 3840x2160 @ 30hz and 2560x1440 @ 60hz. It does do it too if you wait to plug the 2nd monitor in until you boot into the OS, then it works as expected....

If you look at system profiler when the black bar/line is shown, what does it report for the 2 displays, a screenshot would be helpful...

If you look at system profiler when the black bar/line is shown, what does it report for the 2 displays, a screenshot would be helpful...

It shows the DisplayPort 2560x1440 @ 59Hz (which works properly) and the HDMI (with black bar present) 2560x1440 @ 60Hz. See attached screenshot.

Out of curiosity I tried a few other things as well:

1.) If I boot it up with only DP and plugged in, and then plug the HDMI in after reaching the desktop it still shows the identical specs in system profiler (without black bar present, 100% functional)

2.) I used SwitchResX to set the HDMI manually to 59Hz and it still behaves the same on boot (with black bar) and goes away if I just wait to plug the screen in until boot

3.) I took a screenshot with command+shift+3 with the black bar present, and the screenshot does indeed show the desktop background behind the black bar (almost like it doesn't know the black bar is present)

4.) The black bar is present right from the Chameleon and Clover bootloaders if I have both screens plugged in on power up (I have tried multiple machines and bootloaders). If I turn on the NUC with only DP connected and then wait to plug in the HDMI display until it is sitting at the bootloader screen, the HDMI just goes black when you connect it almost like it isn't detected, however once the machine reaches the password prompt the DP screen turns off for a second or two and then both screens turn back on at full resolution (same as if you waited until you are at the desktop to plug it in)

* 5.) As a side note I have also noticed that any time these NUCs go to sleep the ethernet doesn't come back to life, you need to reboot the machine to get ethernet. I did read a couple of other threads with this machine that people have the same issue but neither where resolved, has anyone found a work around for this?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-09-19 at 10.20.27 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-09-19 at 10.20.27 AM.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 152
It shows the DisplayPort 2560x1440 @ 59Hz (which works properly) and the HDMI (with black bar present) 2560x1440 @ 60Hz. See attached screenshot.

Out of curiosity I tried a few other things as well:

1.) If I boot it up with only DP and plugged in, and then plug the HDMI in after reaching the desktop it still shows the identical specs in system profiler (without black bar present, 100% functional)

2.) I used SwitchResX to set the HDMI manually to 59Hz and it still behaves the same on boot (with black bar) and goes away if I just wait to plug the screen in until boot

3.) I took a screenshot with command+shift+3 with the black bar present, and the screenshot does indeed show the desktop background behind the black bar (almost like it doesn't know the black bar is present)

4.) The black bar is present right from the Chameleon and Clover bootloaders if I have both screens plugged in on power up (I have tried multiple machines and bootloaders). If I turn on the NUC with only DP connected and then wait to plug in the HDMI display until it is sitting at the bootloader screen, the HDMI just goes black when you connect it almost like it isn't detected, however once the machine reaches the password prompt the DP screen turns off for a second or two and then both screens turn back on at full resolution (same as if you waited until you are at the desktop to plug it in)

* 5.) As a side note I have also noticed that any time these NUCs go to sleep the ethernet doesn't come back to life, you need to reboot the machine to get ethernet. I did read a couple of other threads with this machine that people have the same issue but neither where resolved, has anyone found a work around for this?

Well I'm not sure really. I have connected 2 displays to mine for testing purposes and it worked well every time. That was 1 x 2560*1440, and 1 x 1920*1200. You said the black bar is present from power up regardless of which bootloader; that would point me in the direction of the bios.

You could try a possible workaround and see what happens; leave everything connected and have your second screen powered down. Once OSX is up and running, just hit the power button on the second screen and see how that responds. Not the perfect solution I agree, but should not be too much of an inconvenience.

Also have a look at the Intel forums regarding the NUC to see if anyone has reported something similar there.

In respect of the nic, some users have reported the same issue after wake up. I believe using this kext resolved their issues.

Well I'm not sure really. I have connected 2 displays to mine for testing purposes and it worked well every time. That was 1 x 2560*1440, and 1 x 1920*1200. You said the black bar is present from power up regardless of which bootloader; that would point me in the direction of the bios.

You could try a possible workaround and see what happens; leave everything connected and have your second screen powered down. Once OSX is up and running, just hit the power button on the second screen and see how that responds. Not the perfect solution I agree, but should not be too much of an inconvenience.

Also have a look at the Intel forums regarding the NUC to see if anyone has reported something similar there.

In respect of the nic, some users have reported the same issue after wake up. I believe using this kext resolved their issues.

That would be fine except it doesn't work to power the monitor on after its booted up. Same problem. The only solution is plugging the cable in after it boots. Anyhow thank you for all of your support, I will keep digging.

** UPDATE: I discovered if I reverse the order (power on the HDMI but leave the DisplayPort powered off until bootup is complete), then it seems to work ok, no black bar on either screen.

Anyone get El Capitan 10.11.0 GM working? I haven't been able to successfully boot off the USB installer using the same boot flags that worked for me in 10.10.5 (-v -no-zp UseKernelCache=No GraphicsEnabler=No IGPEnabler=Yes IGPlatformID=0D220003 maxmem=4096) ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back