Contribute
Register

Install Guide : Intel Haswell NUC Core i5 (D54250WYK) V2 (Mavericks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Installation Guide : Intel Haswell NUC Core i5 (D54250WYK) V2

What a happy day, all problems solved !!! :)

1. Problem in Section 6:
Kernel panic with boot flags -v UseKernelCache=No GraphicsEnabler=No IGPEnabler=Yes IGPlatformID=0D220003
My memory: 2 x 4 GB Crucial Technology CT51264BF160BJ (WonkeyDonkey uses a different type)

Problem solved:
Added maxmem=4096 to the boot flags

2. Problem at the beginning of Section 7:
Kernel panic with boot flags -v UseKernelCache=No GraphicsEnabler=No maxmem=4096IGPEnabler=Yes IGPlatformID=0D220003

Problem solved:
Tried it several times, suddenly with success… (I don’t know why)

3. Problem at the end of Section 7:
Kernel panic with boot flags -v UseKernelCache=No and with -v UseKernelCache=No maxmem=4096

Problem solved:
Tried it several times to boot into the desktop of Mavericks, suddenly with success… (I don’t know why)
Reinstalled FakeSMC from here and picked the customize option, ticked them all in the list.

Now my NUC-Mac works perfect with Mac OS X 10.9.3 !

I tested booting/rebooting and had no kernel panic again.

Thank you for your kindly help WonkeyDonkey - very good work! :thumbup:

What a happy day, all problems solved !!! :)

1. Problem in Section 6:
Kernel panic with boot flags -v UseKernelCache=No GraphicsEnabler=No IGPEnabler=Yes IGPlatformID=0D220003
My memory: 2 x 4 GB Crucial Technology CT51264BF160BJ (WonkeyDonkey uses a different type)

Problem solved:
Added maxmem=4096 to the boot flags

2. Problem at the beginning of Section 7:
Kernel panic with boot flags -v UseKernelCache=No GraphicsEnabler=No maxmem=4096IGPEnabler=Yes IGPlatformID=0D220003

Problem solved:
Tried it several times, suddenly with success… (I don’t know why)

3. Problem at the end of Section 7:
Kernel panic with boot flags -v UseKernelCache=No and with -v UseKernelCache=No maxmem=4096

Problem solved:
Tried it several times to boot into the desktop of Mavericks, suddenly with success… (I don’t know why)
Reinstalled FakeSMC from here and picked the customize option, ticked them all in the list.

Now my NUC-Mac works perfect with Mac OS X 10.9.3 !

I tested booting/rebooting and had no kernel panic again.

Thank you for your kindly help WonkeyDonkey - very good work! :thumbup:

Good news!

Display/connection type - HDMI audio working or not ?

Thanks.

short info :)

Newest Bios is 0026.

New Fixes/Features:

Fixed issue where pressing F2 to access BIOS does not work when connected to certain 4K monitor.

Updated Integrated Graphics:

Option ROM: Build 2180 PC 14.34

UEFI Driver: 5.0.1037

Fixed issue where Intel wireless adapters lose connectivity.

Fixed issue where system restarts instead of shutting down with Linux

Oh dear! Another one to deal with. :banghead:

Good news!

Display/connection type - HDMI audio working or not ?

Thanks.
It's a FlexScan L568 (EIZO) and I use a Mini HDMI to DVI adapter. Sound is not activated, I don't need it for the Nuc-Mac.

It's a FlexScan L568 (EIZO) and I use a Mini HDMI to DVI adapter. Sound is not activated, I don't need it for the Nuc-Mac.

Ahh ok.

If you consider how picky/flakey the Haswell memory controller is, its hardly surprising what happened. Unfortunately there is no easy way to incorporate all possible boot flags in the guide, it would introduce too many variables.

I've had the boot flag issues with a different build too, and there is no specific reason why it happens. It has really good quality memory.

There are posts all around the forums about users having similar boot issues and the much hated '0xdeadbeef' messages.

We do know it is largely related to memory though; but past that, its difficult to pinpoint the exact cause.

I do not know if it fits here in the Thread, but the "new" Intel NUC has a lot of Problems with USB3 devices at the moment.

Performance, Stability and Boot Problems :)

A lot of Postings in the Intel Board.

I Had been wondering why my wireless keyboard always responded so delayed. USB3 Stick / Drive off and no Problems so far

PS: I hate SSD Errors :( my msata is fried only 32KB SandForce....
therefore probably my previous problems with the stability. Hope Kingston quickly sends the replacement

I do not know if it fits here in the Thread, but the "new" Intel NUC has a lot of Problems with USB3 devices at the moment.

Performance, Stability and Boot Problems :)

A lot of Postings in the Intel Board.

I Had been wondering why my wireless keyboard always responded so delayed. USB3 Stick / Drive off and no Problems so far

PS: I hate SSD Errors :( my msata is fried only 32KB SandForce....
therefore probably my previous problems with the stability. Hope Kingston quickly sends the replacement

Do you mean the current i5 NUC as opposed to the original Ivy Bridge one ?

I have to say, mine is running flawless here aside from HDMI which I cant fully test right now due to not having a HDMI device (Only mini-DisplayPort).

But,

And its a big but. I spent slightly above average on my ram and SSD. The SSD is a 1Tb model (Samsung EVO 840 mSata type) and the original was Intel's own. Both have been flawless.

As to ram, well the original used Crucial LPDDR3 (The 1.35v stuff we need to operate it). I was never that impressed with it. I too had *some* issues with boot flags and 0xdeadbeef and it was a pain. It was all CL10 and CL11 too, which is what most of you guys have. As memory goes, for a modest speed and size of chip, CL10 and CL11 is actually quite slow.

The new Ripjaws ram I have fitted has behaved flawlessly so far. It is CL9 and has not had a single deadbeef or anything even remotely similar. Performance is way snappier too.

I also noticed when looking into the bios that memory timings and settings are thin on the ground, so the bios is clearly setting some parameters itself, without having the choice to change or fine tune them.

Also the fact you cant safely and cleanly erase the SSD drive while its connected to the NUC, so I had to remove it to do that every time I resinstalled when testing. Thats still the case now, and something I ALWAYS recommend.

While it may be a little late in the day, I would recommend any new buyer to invest just a bit extra to get the good quality components and have the painless installation.

Edit : If you post me a link to the Intel board you are referring too, I will scan through it and pull what is relevant to us with a view to refining the guide and seeing if we can improve things.

my "old" kingston msata was in my first NUC (Celeron).

My Files are on 2 NAS and a little Server so far. For a Boot ssd is the 60GB enough but now with osx a little to small ;)

I think my new will be a Samsung 840.

For RAM i use 2 x 4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 CL9
RAM Testing looks good :) (Boot CD 3 hours+ no errors)

my "old" kingston msata was in my first NUC (Celeron).

My Files are on 2 NAS and a little Server so far. For a Boot ssd is the 60GB enough but now with osx a little to small ;)

I think my new will be a Samsung 840.

For RAM i use 2 x 4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 CL9
RAM Testing looks good :) (Boot CD 3 hours+ no errors)

Have you had many deadbeef errors overall ?

It may be an idea to start collecting the make/model of ram that performs with no errors - it would be useful to future buyers.

FWIW, I successfully upgraded my NUC from 10.9.2 to 10.9.3 using this guide. Didn't even have to wipe the disk: I just selected the existing system partition at installer time and it installed 10.9.3, preserving my user accounts and files from before. I didn't bother with the audio steps because I do my audio through USB (external DAC) and my video through DP.

This is an Intel Haswell NUC D54250WYKH i5 4250U HD 5000, with BIOS v18 (too lazy to figure out how to upgrade so I took my chances :)), 16GB Ripjaws RAM, 480GB Crucial SSD.

Thanks so much for this guide!

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back