CPU
i7 6700k
Graphics
RX580
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Did a quick search and couldn't find an answer to my exact question.
Apologies if it has already been covered.

I'm running 10.6.8 using Chameleon 2 RC 4 with custom DSDT and just a few things in E/E.
I also used the "Strings" method in my com.apple.boot.plist for my GFX and network card.

Just wondering if I can simply use the Chimera standalone installer to upgrade my boot loader to Chimera - or will this cause I world of pain?

I'm only thinking about this now because I was going to attempt the upgrade to Lion using X-Move - and from what I have read, Chimera boot loader is required for this method?
Regards
Fish

Yes you can just install Chimera over the top.

If you want to be on the safe side then you can back up your current Chameleon boot file by using terminal commands to rename your "/boot" file to "/boot_cham" or something like that and then run the Chimera installer. If you have no issues then you are fine.

However, Chameleon actually installs the bootloader on the secret EFI partition. Thus, re-installing Chimera will not work. Chimera installer only installs on the SL partition not the EFI partition.

Thanks for the help and info.
I have chameleon boot-loader on my SL partition - so replacing the boot file should work.
will report back when I get the time to try it.
cheers

I was running 10.6.8 using Chameleon 2 RC 3 and also used the "Strings" method in my com.apple.boot.plist for my GFX.

I was able to install Chimera from the Multibeast on top of my Chameleon installation and everything worked fine.

Just a quick thanks and to say everything works as expected after installing chimera over chameleon.
Also successful update to Lion.
All is well

Thanks again for the support
Regards
Fish

notshy said:
Yes you can just install Chimera over the top.

If you want to be on the safe side then you can back up your current Chameleon boot file by using terminal commands to rename your "/boot" file to "/boot_cham" or something like that and then run the Chimera installer. If you have no issues then you are fine.

If I were to back up my current Chameleon boot file, install Chimera, then restore my Chameleon boot file... would this hose Chimera?

The reason I ask is because I have a custom boot file for use with my video card and don't want to deal with any video headaches...

I think I'm having the problem you actually expected.

I installed Chameleon to the boot (i.e. dd if=boot1h etc) <-- this is the first time I've done anything like this, so please speak slowwwwwly...

I've tried installed Chimera from MultiBeast 4 (Lion install) and Chameleon is always the boot loader, and fails.

If I boot from rBoot of course I can get right into my startup drive, but what a PITA.

What do I need to do to get rid of the chameleon boot and get Chimera working? Thanks in advance. Probably something simple.

I'm having a similar issue with grimmwerks.
I have Chameleon 2 RC5 r643 in my 10.6.8 SL partition and when I try to install Chimera (from multibeast 3.9.1 or 4.1 and standalone 1.6.0) I can still see Chameleon while my system hangs later while trying to boot.
When I replace the org.chameleon.Boot.plist with the com.apple.Boot.plist the system boots fine again but still no Chimera.

Any suggestions?

colymore said:
I'm having a similar issue with grimmwerks.
I have Chameleon 2 RC5 r643 in my 10.6.8 SL partition and when I try to install Chimera (from multibeast 3.9.1 or 4.1 and standalone 1.6.0) I can still see Chameleon while my system hangs later while trying to boot.
When I replace the org.chameleon.Boot.plist with the com.apple.Boot.plist the system boots fine again but still no Chimera.

Any suggestions?

did you ever check what inside org.chameleon.boot.plist also compare it with com.apple.boot.plist ?

if you found that your old boot.plist is different, you can transfer or copy your setting from old boot.plist into your new org.chameleon.boot.plist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back