Contribute
Register

Inserting USB device cause Mt. Lion to Freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
GA-Z77N-Wi-fi (without Wi-fi card as I do not need it, so removed)

One of the boards that is supposed to give minimal problems!... I wish!

No matter what I try, plugging USB to ANY port gives kernel panic & system hangs.

Booting with device plugged in works (but very not convenient)

EDIT:
Made sure no external kexts exist in Extra/Extensions & now I get USB2 ports work OK (must have been some mismatch)
But USB 3 storage device in USB 3 ports does not get mounted or hard dismounts itself while in use

You could always try the USB 3 multibeast checkbox things but from what I've seen USB 3 is sometimes a hit or miss and some people drop it entirely bc of all the trouble it gives.

Were you able to dig up anymore info on this problem?

Im using the same board as you, don't have anything in the /Exta/Extensions and the hang still happens

i had this issue few times. after fixing permissions (used ccleaner) on system disk everything worked fine afterwards.

Hey All,

I run into strange problem, my Mt. Lion working perfectly, beside when I plug in usb devices, if I plug in any USB device into my Mt. Lion after a few second it will freeze.

If I plug it into Mt. Lion before I start my Hackintosh I will have no problem.

Any suggestion to this problem????

Thank you

I have the same problem. I see there is a new multibeast release 5.3. I notice that it has the USB 3.0 driver in it. I tried it and it did not work for me. I want to make clear that any usb device that I plug in causes this issue.

Ditto, external HDD sometimes locks the system, especially upon wake. Lock up here means the mouse pointer doesn't move, everything on screen is frozen, no response from the computer.

OS X 10.8.3

:roll2:

It happens to me only after wake, when I plug in any USB drive sometimes it completely freezes my system, sometimes it just does not mount the usb, and when I look at the console I see errors related to not being able to load AppleIoMassStorage.kext

I don't have USB3 on my old GA-EP35-DS4. And I can't figure out what's happening. Any ideas? I have tried updated FakeSMC, using USBFix on chameleon.boot.plist and my AppleCPUIntelManagement.kext is original.

PS: Sorry for my bad english.

UPDATE: After a bit research I am now investigating if the option "Kernel Cache=Yes" is the cause of my freezes. I've added -f to the boot flags and I will see what happens after a few hours of system sleep.

UPDATE2: Definitely the boot flag -f has solved all my problems. Now it takes a bit longer to boot (3 or 4 seconds more) but I don't care. Now I have no freezes and everything is working perfectly.

I've been having the same troubles. BadMac's solution of disabling kernel cache worked for me. Thanks!

Edit:

Spoke too soon! Still getting system freezes from USB. Gonna investigate more later...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back