Contribute
Register

Inserting USB device cause Mavericks 10.9.1 to Freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
After two days my system freeze again when usb drive is plugged .. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

I'm thinking to install SnowLeopard !!

I removed the GenericUSBXHCI.kext from S/L/E. Didn't replace it with anything.

Rebuilt with Kext Utility.

Restarted and not had a freeze since. USB 3 and 2 both still work at prescribed speeds, and show as their respective speeds in Apple System Profiler.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-04-24 at 7.07.42 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-24 at 7.07.42 pm.png
    46.9 KB · Views: 1,558
I removed the GenericUSBXHCI.kext from S/L/E. Didn't replace it with anything.

Rebuilt with Kext Utility.

Restarted and not had a freeze since. USB 3 and 2 both still work at prescribed speeds, and show as their respective speeds in Apple System Profiler.

Awesome, that worked for me!!!!
Thank you bro! :)

Hey, I will try deleting the kexts you spoke about but I don't understand what has to be done using Kext Utility. I'm very new to this and would like a set of steps to follow in Kext Utility so I can get USB to work without freezing

It repairs permissions for all system folders: /System/Library/Extensions and /Library/Extensions.

I would also suggest doing a Disk Utility 'Repair Permissions' on your operative disk as well.

Then restart.

GenericUSBXHCI.kext is only needed for motherboards and systems that don't have native USB 3.0. Some of us here have incorrectly installed the USB 3.0 kext with multi-beast when we initially set up our systems. As it turns out, it isn't needed on newer motherboards.

I tried some other suggested USB 3.0 kexts and none of them made any difference to speed using the below test.

As a test, I ran Blackmagic Disk Speed test on an external USB 3 hard drive connection as the target disk. There was no difference with or without the GenericUSBXHCI.kext.

Good luck.

This looks like it might fix my freezing issue also...however, when I download and install KextBeast, it disappears from my system!

I have done find / -name "KextBeast" -print and search every disk I have and still can't find out where the package installer has put it, or what is has named it. It isn't in Applications, that's for sure.

Maybe the installer is broken now?

UPDATE: Just to be clear, I'm on 10.8.2, Mountain Lion.

I deleted the GenericUSB kext from /S/L/E, found Kext Utility online, used it to rebuild, fixed permissions via disk utility, and rebooted. Still have the same issue.

Sigh.

UPDATE Two:

Installed the Realtek driver mentioned below via Multibeast 5.5.2. Same issues.

Thank's Bamster !
this is my org.chameleon.Boot.plist :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>IGPEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>"1920x1080x32"</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Regards

Well your org.chameleon.Boot.plist looks fine. I assume you are running Mavericks.

I would (just temporarily) uninstall HWMonitor sensors etc. if you have that running. I have found in the past that for some reason, the kexts from that can cause freezes unexpectedly. See http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/75710-help-need-manually-uninstall-hwmonitor-hwsensors.html

The next step I would suggest is running the computer and when it freezes and you have to restart, open up the Console in Applications -> Utilities and see what the last few lines were before it froze. You will see where the reboot starts with a dark line across the Console output page and called Boot Log Boot Time. I think that may give you a hint of what is freezing your system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back