Contribute
Register

Inserting USB device cause Mavericks 10.9.1 to Freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
I removed the GenericUSBXHCI.kext from S/L/E. Didn't replace it with anything.

Rebuilt with Kext Utility.

Restarted and not had a freeze since. USB 3 and 2 both still work at prescribed speeds, and show as their respective speeds in Apple System Profiler.

Do you think this will work with Yosemite? My OS locks up when I start working off my external drives. If you think it might help how do what you describe? I am new at this and do now know what a kext file is or how to rebuild it.

Restarted and not had a freeze since. USB 3 and 2 both still work at prescribed speeds, and show as their respective speeds in Apple System Profiler.

Like bamster said!! seems it WORKED for me with Yosemite 10.10.3 :thumbup:
I had various freezes when plugging usb devices (especially external hdd and bluetooth adapter for mouse).. Just removed "GenericUSBXHCI.kext" from /Extensions folder, ran Kext Utility app, reboot the system.. Magic!

Thank you very much bamster!! I've found your post just in time, I was desperate and I was very close to uninstall and install everything from scratch..

*** EDIT ***

I must correct the last post... Unfortunately freezes go ahead... When I plug any usb devices my Hackintosh freezes! :( I don't know why.... any ideas?? :banghead:

*** EDIT 2 ***

Maybe found a temporary solution:
once I've removed GenericUSBXHCI.kext, if I launch Kext Utility EACH TIME BEFORE plugging usb devices I've no freezes! Important: after I unplug my usb device if I plan to insert it again I must launch again Kext Utility to have no freezes...
Someone could explain this? Someone having a "long living" solution? :rolleyes:

*** EDIT 3 ***

Solved all my USB Freezing problems doing a clean install using Clover. Until now always seems to be fine so I suggest all of you making this change and choose Clover Bootloader :headbang:

Wrote some notes but got them a bit garbled, sorry, scrapped the lot. Its late and I'm tired.
... may have something to do with IOUSBFamily not being able to enumerate the USB device because the device is too slow to respond to the speedier/impatient demands of the operating system.
Or...if we are talking disks connected by USB then the problems may be with IOAHCIFamily / IOAHCIBlockStorage kexts, again impatient demands.
Rather disappointingly it seems that Apple mobos have technical mods to allow devices to be identified quicker whereas manufacturers who design mobos to specified standards will suffer the problems.

Sorry if I'm not being helpful, I scribbled lots of notes from various sources and now its a bit difficult deciphering them.

Last edited:
Figured I'd register to chime in on this one...

First of all, this post has been a great help in at least pointing me in the right direction...so thank you for that.

Second, I have no GenericUSBXHCI.kex in S/L/E--none of the other fixes on this thread seem to of helped either. I had just swapped out my old HDD for an SSD--it was running 10.7 at the time, no issues. When I installed the SSD, Recovery had me install 10.7 again before I could go up to 10.10. I wanted to import my files from a Time Machine backup before upgrading and the second I plugged in the external HDD the computer shut down. Now, this is on 10.7 which is what really confuses me. I still have the problem after upgrading to 10.10...so I'm trying a fresh install of 10.10 to see if that will fix it....

I've had enough of computers for the day....any other suggestions?

Thank you very much! It's helps me:D

Just started getting this the past few months. I could not find GenericUSBXHCI.kext in S/L/E, unless its an invisible file. I did however download and run Kext Utility. No usb freeze ups all day Sunday. Not exactly sure what Kext Utility does differently than running Disk Utility but it must have fixed something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back