Contribute
Register

[initial success] Skull Canyon NUC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been trying to clone my current install to an external drive before starting over with the RehabMan guide but every time it completely crashed the nuc after just a few GB. Also I struggled a lot to get the drive to mount at all. Some ports work sometimes... But there's definitely something wrong with USB or with detecting external drives. Anyways, it looks like I'll have to skip the cloning, which is a bummer.

Looking at your ioreg, I'm not surprised...

Things get pretty unstable without AppleLPC loaded... It is taken care of with my SSDT-LPC.dsl code.

Looking at your ioreg, I'm not surprised...

Things get pretty unstable without AppleLPC loaded... It is taken care of with my SSDT-LPC.dsl code.

Okay...
I now followed your guide from the very start and almost got through the installer. Sure enough it got stuck at the last second.
After powering off with a long press there was only the installer or the Recovery partition, no OSX. So I wiped it again but so far I haven't been able to even get to the installer again. Tried all ports, enabled/disabled legacy boot, nothing, verbose, without caches, normal, always ended up with either a KP or the forbidden sign or a garbled screen.

Okay...
I now followed your guide from the very start and almost got through the installer. Sure enough it got stuck at the last second.
After powering off with a long press there was only the installer or the Recovery partition, no OSX. So I wiped it again but so far I haven't been able to even get to the installer again. Tried all ports, enabled/disabled legacy boot, nothing, verbose, without caches, normal, always ended up with either a KP or the forbidden sign or a garbled screen.

You must be patient. Make sure you read the main Clover guide (in laptop forum) post #2 carefully.

Key points:
- when you get "1 minute remaining" (or is it "1 second remaining"?), it can take 20-30 minutes...
- you need to boot to install_osx on the USB *twice*

You must be patient. Make sure you read the main Clover guide (in laptop forum) post #2 carefully.

Key points:
- when you get "1 minute remaining" (or is it "1 second remaining"?), it can take 20-30 minutes...
- you need to boot to install_osx on the USB *twice*

Thanks so much for all your help, it's much appreciated!
I found the problem of not being able to get into the installer must be caused by using a USB3 stick and gets solved when using a USB2 extension in between. I forgot I had it in between when it worked the first time around. Hope this helps someone.
I'll be very patient this time :)

That sure is one veeeeerrrrrrrryyyyyy llllooooooooonnnnnnggggggg second. The screen even turns off. I'll wait this time.
Even at 0 seconds remaining it takes quite a while. And then a pretty long black screen. Reboot with a KP, 2nd try boots into installer again and watching another progress bar. I sure hope it'll finish successfully this time.

Last edited:
That sure is one veeeeerrrrrrrryyyyyy llllooooooooonnnnnnggggggg second. The screen even turns off. I'll wait this time.

Yes... don't let the screen turn off (press shift key every so often).

Thanks so much for all your help, it's much appreciated!
I found the problem of not being able to get into the installer must be caused by using a USB3 stick and gets solved when using a USB2 extension in between. I forgot I had it in between when it worked the first time around. Hope this helps someone.
I'll be very patient this time :)

Are you using USBInjectAll.kext during installation? If you are, USB3 will not work... because the XHC controller has more than 15 ports and all the USB3 ports are outside the 15-port limit, none will work in that scenario. So, it might work better if you omit USBInjectAll until a custom SSDT configuration for it can be created.

You can, of course, use a USB2 stick... All the HSxx ports are within the 15-port limit.

Edit: Added a preliminary SSDT-USB.dsl with NUC6 Skull Canyon (8086:a12f) support. Assumption is port layout is similar to NUC6.

Last edited:
Are you using USBInjectAll.kext during installation? If you are, USB3 will not work... because the XHC controller has more than 15 ports and all the USB3 ports are outside the 15-port limit, none will work in that scenario. So, it might work better if you omit USBInjectAll until a custom SSDT configuration for it can be created.

You can, of course, use a USB2 stick... All the HSxx ports are within the 15-port limit.

Edit: Added a preliminary SSDT-USB.dsl with NUC6 Skull Canyon (8086:a12f) support. Assumption is port layout is similar to NUC6.

Hmm, no, I only added what was in the guide, nothing for USB at all. It looks like it's working now finally. Got through the installation now and to the desktop. Phew!

Last edited:
Hmm, no, I only added what was in the guide, nothing for USB at all. It looks like it's working now finally. Got through the installation now and to the desktop. Phew!

Well, we'll see the reason for non-working USB3 when you post ioreg... (before any post-install tasks...)

Well, we'll see the reason for non-working USB3 when you post ioreg... (before any post-install tasks...)

Oops! Already added the new config.plist (which was linked for the installer but without any edits) and the monitoring kexts but nothing else. So I hope this is still useful:

Attachments

• Christian’s iMac.ioreg
    1.9 MB · Views: 115
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back