Contribute
Register

Improve Boot times with SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine is Samsung 840series SATA 3, SSD 120 GB. I AM USING 6gbps sata port. The number for port is 0. If I use ssd in the other ports system does not boot. I see the number are really slow. I don't know what else to do.

Have you installed all the patches you're supposed to install with Multibeast?
Did you enable TRIM?
Do you have any other computer to test the SSD?
I just got the same SSD and connected to a SATA 3Gb/s port it's giving me about 260Mb W/R
Also, did you update you SSD firmware?

Hello,
I have successful built a hackintosh in 2012 and been using since then, i started with lion, upgraded to mountain lion and then to mavericks when the new operating system came in 2013, i am waiting for this year operating system.
Over the period i have done few upgrades to my hackintosh which include adding SSD to decrease the boot times.

Actually I am not sure whether i have seen improvement in the boot times or not.

Can people in the forum tell me what are the actual boot times using SSD.

Is there a certain way of doing upgrading SSD.

My average boot time is 1 minute and 10 seconds

Please respond....

My boot time is about 12 seconds to the log window from being complete off. This is with either a Samsung 830, or it's upgrade Samsung 840 EVO. The EVO did nothing for making my machine boot faster, it does allow me to boot 4 VM's at once in less than 6 seconds though, much better at multitasking than the 830 was.

I put together a Hackintosh with the slowest cpu I could find and a mediocre SSD. Boot time still of about 12 seconds.

More than half of that boot time is the UEFI starting up on both machines. Enabling or disabling the boot caches in the startup file make no meaningful difference. Your boot time is really slow.
I don't use TRIM, since the Samsung garbage collection are supposed to support the hfs+ filesystem. TRIM would only affect writes, not reads anyway. Even using a SATA 2 port is not going to add more than a second or two at most.

I would try the -v boot flag and see if there is a process that is taking a long time to initialize. This might give you a hint as to what's holding up the show. You can post back with a screen shot of where it sits. This could help in determining if the drive really is the issue. BTW, it shouldn't matter what Sata port you use, a SSD should be much faster than a minute. I'd guess it's something else slowing your boot.

There is a possibility that the drive is having problems, and the error correcting is being used extensively, slowing things down. I have heard of people using SpinRite in such a case, reformatting the drive and starting from scratch would also be a possible solution if the drive is at fault. You can also check it's SMART data using the Hardware Monitor tool from FakeSMC in Multibeast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back