Contribute
Register

iMac G4 20in NUC mod - CelestialTower

Status
Not open for further replies.
okay guys i have taken pictures ill have some full post and blog pot documenting this as soon as it's done

what i waiting on is the 5V amp to get my apple pro speakers to work with the native apple port should be here soon.

Other than that the only other (small) problem is the new LCD I dropped in seems to flash solid colors when the computer goes to sleep no idea why? Gonna check the cables behind the LCD. If anyone has seen this before please let me know what it means the internet/google has been unclear...

I should be more clear I'm using a G5 LCD in my iMac G4 mod and it works perfectly (same wiring) except when the lcd has no video source (i.e. disconnect DVI/ sleep mode) this is annoying as it flashes bright colors (grey,black,red,green,blue)

Any help would be appreciated?

UPDATE:

Well it's 2 am and I reset the BIOS settings and now after one cycle of flashes it will sleep with backlights off!!!

why? idk it seems to wait for the NUC to stop supplying the 5V's to the transistor...will investigate further (perhaps use spare USB header for 5V???)

Last edit:

Well this seems as good as it's gonna get I'm still pleased as the lcd was cheap and looks brand new so a little light show before the screen goes to sleep won't kill me. But anyway heres a video:

<Will post in the AM>

Sorted out the LCD issue ill demo that later...

Update video of the nearly finished mod:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz-FFbNFYyU

[video=youtube;xz-FFbNFYyU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz-FFbNFYyU[/video]

Things left to do:

I just need to do cable management and figure out the internal mic and close it up...

Post pictures/video of me documenting the process

Notes:

The apple pro speakers were a pain to do but it's well worth it!

The LED is not something I'm wasting time with

Same with the apple chime

Probably won't have optical drive

Pico PSU brick probably needs to be external as it gets warm/ is large

Update: well now my pico PSU seems to refuse to turn off... even without the 20pin adapter plugged in if the pico is plugged into the wall its still powers the fans, etc. green light stays on...

This is getting annoying!

Done! (mostly) the writeup will have to wait as I don't have the time right now...

102968d1409363303-imac-g4-20in-nuc-mod-celestialtower-img_0945.jpg

102969d1409363453-imac-g4-20in-nuc-mod-celestialtower-img_0940.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0945.jpg
    IMG_0945.jpg
    492.1 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_0940.jpg
    IMG_0940.jpg
    698.7 KB · Views: 439
Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome man, I've had an iMac 20" for years and sold it many years ago. Finally I bought one last week, a fine second hand specimen, just having it as is on my desk makes me happy :) It's such a wonderful design.

I'll be modding this one too once I find the time. I'm looking into what hardware to use, I'm considering:
- Intel NUC (obviously)
- Gigabyte Brix Pro or gaming
- Zotac Zbox
- Maybe a mITX board with water cooling? Depends on work space inside.

What I can cram in there will mostly be dictated by how much air flow I feel I'll be able to create. I like the idea of a nVidia 760 in there but don't want it to huff and puff those noisy fans all the time. It'll be used for not too heavy office usage (internet, word, excel, photoshop, lightroom and a little bit of video editing).

Anyway, love your build and enjoy reading up on what works and what doesn't! Since I enjoy reading all those mods I feel obligated to start a topic once I start building and upload a gazillion pics :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back