Contribute
Register

iMac G4 20in NUC mod - CelestialTower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any way to get a nice pic of your DVI wiring? I had a similar issue to yours, I ended up needing to add an extra wire (went wrong somewhere the first time.)

This image from E's iMac G5 17" build helped me out quite a bit.

6kio.png

The only difference on the 20" is the 12V is 24V to the inverter.

AH. Maybe that is the chart I was looking at. I really do like the layout of that chart, though. Very well organized. Thanks.

Ok well my friend came over and helped me clean up the wires and after much troubleshooting (including replacing the inverter and LCD with my set of spares), Shielding almost all the DVI pins with electrical tape, connecting all grounds WITHOUT alligator cables, and triple checking everything we were stumped and I tried various other things nothing worked.

So i've concluded that it's the Step-Up converter and or the power supply;

Actions taken:

1: Sleep Lost

2: Connected the molex splitter to an ATX Power supply (no significant* change)

*= screen flashed a little longer but not by much which further leads me to suspect a power issue...

This leads me to believe it's the step up as that's the last thing I've isolated (even though the multimenter confirmed it was outputting around 24v), I'll look through the forms and see if any in particular are Step-Up's are recommend.

If you know of where to buy one then please give me a link or model number I simply bought the cheapest one with the right specs off eBay.

Thanks for all the help guys, hopefully a different step up will fix it. In the meantime is there a way I could use the Factory PSU to power just the display???

EDIT:

My step up output's 24v 3 amps so I found one that outputs 24v and 10 amps would this perhaps solve the issue; I have no idea how many amps this display needs:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-DC-12V-t...095?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aca5fbdff

10 amps will blow up the inverter. I made that mistake too, you need the 3 amp step up. Don't spend your money on that thing. There's one sitting in my desk, useless to me, plus it took over 2 months to ship.

EDIT: There is a way to re-use the internal PSU - It's just as clean as any other mod, just different way of supplying the power. If the step up and pico isn't doing it for you, that might be the way to go. Keep at it!

It was my up converter!

As soon as I used the Native Power supply it worked!!!

Thanks for all the help guys now I can actually proceed!!!

Next up: I really want a dimmer so I'll look into a solution for that, I'll need a 2nd PSU (pinco?) to power the NUC off the native PSU.

I'm still not going to order the NUC until I've fully tested the display but i'll keep you guy's posted.

Once again Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_0086.jpg
    IMG_0086.jpg
    459.7 KB · Views: 250
UPDATE:

The display works but after I swapped back in my good LCD (the one with no dead pixels) it artifacts on my HD 3000 Probook 4530S but it's fine on my Iris graphics based MacBook Pro.

I'm definitely going to hold out on the NUC until I further test this for extended usage. I also may go with the HD 4000 based NUC just for safety even though IC's solution seemed to work for him.

UPDATE:!

Scratch that a ground came loose it's flawless on both computers gonna keep test ill have a PDF with my plans soon

UPDATE:

The display works but after I swapped back in my good LCD (the one with no dead pixels) it artifacts on my HD 3000 Probook 4530S but it's fine on my Iris graphics based MacBook Pro.

I'm definitely going to hold out on the NUC until I further test this for extended usage. I also may go with the HD 4000 based NUC just for safety even though IC's solution seemed to work for him.

UPDATE:!

Scratch that a ground came loose it's flawless on both computers gonna keep test ill have a PDF with my plans soon

After a day of rigorous use, (Netflix, 1080p videos, some light gaming) I can safely say that the new cable fixes my artifacting issues, if that at all will sway your decision on which NUC to buy. Personally, I think the premium on the Haswell model is well worth it.

Also, how are you connecting your display to your 5000 and 3000 graphics? It seems that my mini-displayport adapter was doing most of the artifacting once I found a quality HDMI cord.

This is terrific news IC. Congratulations on a great discovery!

Ersterhernd

Put this together as my plans for the power: (attached PDF)
Only problem it seems my up-converter won't work even though the multimeter says it does so ill further test it...
Other than that now that I know the display is fine I'm moving forward will probably buy the NUC today...

So anyone please have a look I'm pretty sure It will work but if theres anything I misunderstood please inform me thank you!

Attachments

• PWR plan.pdf
    39.6 KB · Views: 181
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back