Graphics
ATI 5770
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I installed iboot. Put the Snow leopard cd in the drive and pressed f5. It goes straight to the white apple screen with the loader just spinning. What should I try now? Hardware specs below...

MSI P55-GD85
i5 760
Radeon HD 5770
4g ddr3

Have you tried any boot flags?

-x -v PCIRootUID=1

Post a screenshot of any output, so we can see where it is freezing.

It could also be that the HDD, DVD need to be connected to different SATA ports. Your board has both 3 GB and 6 GB ports.

SnapMan said:
Have you tried any boot flags?

-x -v PCIRootUID=1

Post a screenshot of any output, so we can see where it is freezing.

It could also be that the HDD, DVD need to be connected to different SATA ports. Your board has both 3 GB and 6 GB ports.

I'm not sure what boot flags are and what I should do with them. Any help would be great on that. I have all my drives on 3.0 ports right now. I put in an older version of leopard and got this error with it but not on the SL...( Unable to find driver for this platform: "ACPI")

Boot flags modify the system loading/startup. So you can force the computer to enable or disable specific options.

Before you hit enter to select the SL DVD just type the text from the previous post and it will continue the boot process. It will output on the screen the whole process, so if it fails, there will be information on the screen that should help troubleshooting.

Thanks. I will try that and get back here with the results.

After running the boot flag It ran through and stopped at this " Still waiting for root device. " I'm starting to think this is a hard drive/motherboard sata port issue or a CD Rom issue. Might try the hdd on sata port 1 and the cd rom on port 2 like they do on the asus boards. Any ideas here?

Attachments

• mail.jpeg
    mail.jpeg
    119.6 KB · Views: 256
  • stall apple.jpg
    stall apple.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 213
First the iBoot/MultiBeast method if for Snow Leopard....not Leopard. You might want to consider purchasing a Snow Leopard DVD, that might remove one possible issue.

Second the Still Waiting for Root Device means either your drives are incompatible or need to be in different ports. I would try using the lowest 2 SATA 3 ports (as you stated you are), but try swapping the DVD and HDD ports or you might need to use the lowest of SATA 3 and lowest SATA 6 ports.

SnapMan said:
First the iBoot/MultiBeast method if for Snow Leopard....not Leopard. You might want to consider purchasing a Snow Leopard DVD, that might remove one possible issue.

Second the Still Waiting for Root Device means either your drives are incompatible or need to be in different ports. I would try using the lowest 2 SATA 3 ports (as you stated you are), but try swapping the DVD and HDD ports or you might need to use the lowest of SATA 3 and lowest SATA 6 ports.

I am using a retail copy of Snow Leopard. What do you mean by swapping the DVD and HDD ports? I haven't gotten around to trying ports 1 and 2 on the SATA 3.0 ports yet. I believe this board only has two SATA 6 ports. When you said the lowest of SATA 3 and SATA 6 ports. Which drive would go to the SATA 3 and which to the SATA 6?

Your SATA ports are numbered on the board (should be in the manual too). Frequently the SATA 3 and 6 ports are different colors (I am not personally familiar with your board).

Generally SATA 6 ports are not going to be supported in Snow Leopard, so if as you state:

I haven't gotten around to trying ports 1 and 2 on the SATA 3.0 ports yet.

What I suggest is trying to plug your HDD and DVD into different SATA ports. If for instance your DVD is in SATA 3_0 and your HDD in SATA 3_1 you swap them so DVD is in 3_1 and HDD in 3_0. or if on your board they are numbered SATA 3_1 and SATA 3_2 try both possible combinations for the HDD and DVD.

Some boards are picky as to where you plug in the HDD and DVD drives when installing Snow Leopard.

SnapMan said:
Your SATA ports are numbered on the board (should be in the manual too). Frequently the SATA 3 and 6 ports are different colors (I am not personally familiar with your board).

Generally SATA 6 ports are not going to be supported in Snow Leopard, so if as you state:

I haven't gotten around to trying ports 1 and 2 on the SATA 3.0 ports yet.

What I suggest is trying to plug your HDD and DVD into different SATA ports. If for instance your DVD is in SATA 3_0 and your HDD in SATA 3_1 you swap them so DVD is in 3_1 and HDD in 3_0. or if on your board they are numbered SATA 3_1 and SATA 3_2 try both possible combinations for the HDD and DVD.

My board is labeled ports starting at 1 so I will play around with ports 1 and 2. Thanks bud. I really appreciate your help.
Some boards are picky as to where you plug in the HDD and DVD drives when installing Snow Leopard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back