Contribute
Register

I'm done building my perfect hackintosh......now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170-D3H
CPU
i5 6600k
Graphics
GTX 1060
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I used to wake up everyday and troubleshoot all the small details that were wrong with my builds but now since both my desktop and laptop are 99% there's not much I do except stare at the wallpaper.

I'm just curious: what do y'all do after finishing your hackintosh?
Do you trust it with mission critical tasks (job related etc)?
How much do you use it daily compared to other windows builds or "real" Macs?

I'm getting so bored I'm considering upgrading to Mojave in the hopes something would break just so I could have something to fix lol.

Can't wait for your answers :)

• Help other people struggling to get their build working as well as yours does.
  • Write up a User Build for your hardware.
  • Enjoy not having to tinker with or fix anything on your system.
  • Start another build that is more challenging.
  • Take a vacation.
  • IDK what else.
What do you want to do ?

• Help other people struggling to get their build working as well as yours does.
  • Write up a User Build for your hardware.
  • Enjoy not having to tinker with or fix anything on your system.
  • Start another build that is more challenging.
  • Take a vacation.
  • IDK what else.
What do you want to do ?

I actually did want to help a few people with their hacks but frankly everything you would possibly need in soo extremely well written in the FAQs. I'm not even joking I've been a lurker of this great site for a few years I think and never had to ask anything, just re-read the FAQ and boom. There's the solution to my problem.All of my builds are credited to that. Every time I see a question thread a mod (rightfully) just points out the FAQ and I go "welp, I guess that does it".Too bad most people are too lazy to read the whole thing. I would just try and suggest an isolated fix but.....whatever this is more forum oriented nvm.

As for this thread, I'm just asking users what they do with their hacks just to get some ideas

Last edited:
As for this thread, I'm just asking users what they do with their hacks just to get some ideas
For me it's using it as a daily driver, just as I would a real Mac. There must be a reason you wanted macOS instead of Windows. Otherwise why go through all the trouble ?

For me it's using it as a daily driver, just as I would a real Mac. There must be a reason you wanted macOS instead of Windows. Otherwise why go through all the trouble ?

Well mainly for the fun of it. Hence why I wouldn't exactly use the word "trouble". I just like tinkering with stuff idk.

I would use it for school work....but I'm not sure how much trust I should put into the reliability of the build or hackintoshes in general. We all know how fragile they can be (with some unpropper modifications)(today it might work fine, but tomorrow apple releases a small update that breaks everything and if reliability was in question I wouldn't have time to fix it. Otherwise it could be fun)
I would use it for gaming (lel) but since my laptop's gpu has to be disabled (fu Nvidia Optimus) that kinda rules it out.(and since I only have one 120gb ssd I'm not installing windows on my 2nd hdd just for it)
So other than that I guess it leaves it to other hacking work that depends on a Mac. ex jailbreaking iPhones (futurerestore is notorious for being 100x more reliable on a Mac rather than windows). But there has to be something more to it

Last edited:
I'm still using my Core i3 Z68 Gigabyte system as a Mac Mini replacement, for everyday tasks like checking these forums etc. It's been much more stable and reliable than the Mini I used to use daily. It's completely silent, never KPs. Sleeps perfectly and hardly uses any electricity. It was my first build that worked so well I couldn't be more happy with it. It really opened my eyes as to how much better this approach to using macOS is. I've put together many builds after that but this one is still my favorite.

One other thing to look into, if you're a tinkerer with too much free time on your hands, is the case mods section. That's an aspect of hackintoshing that will keep you busy for a very long time.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/categories/case-mods.111/

Try modding a G5 case and you'll never run out of things to do.

I'm still using my Core i3 Z68 Gigabyte system as a Mac Mini replacement, for everyday tasks like checking these forums etc. It's been much more stable and reliable than the Mini I used to use daily. It's completely silent, never KPs. Sleeps perfectly and hardly uses any electricity. It was my first build that worked so well I couldn't be more happy with it. It really opened my eyes as to how much better this approach to using macOS is. I've put together many builds after that but this one is still my favorite.

When i was 14 i made my first attempts*(let’s just call it that) with some workstation laptops with quadros i found lying around the house. That obviously didn’t go well.
And at (currently) 15 i did my first sucessful (desktop) build (see signature) at that went sooo smooth. I never had to touch anything other than multibeast post. After a few weeks i redid it by manually doing what multibeast was (installing kexts, patching applehda, and using clover configurator (yay imessage).
Super reliable so far. Not to mention the price-performance ratio compared to apple hardware

Quickly after that i wanted something a lil more difficult so i did my laptop (again, see signature), which also had some janky bga work done on it (it was salvage). It was then when i had to learn how much harder laptops were and how to patch dsdt’s and sdts’s and after a few days of work it’s close to perfect (if not perfect already and i’m exagerating by being bothered by laggy/rocky brightness controls and the 10sec delay from boot after which the trackpad is usable). Other than that it’s been superb and super happy of the result. I think this is my fav considering the amount of work/learning i put on it.

One other thing to look into, if you're a tinkerer with too much free time on your hands, is the case mods section. That's an aspect of hackintoshing that will keep you busy for a very long time.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/categories/case-mods.111/

Try modding a G5 case and you'll never run out of things to do.

Whoa. I’l have a look at that thanks.
I’ve been thinking of cramming my hp’s hardware into an old mbp unibody case. I think it can be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back