Contribute
Register

I'm done building my perfect hackintosh......now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Work on making cooling more efficient with delidding and/or liquid metal your GPU.

Work on making cooling more efficient with delidding and/or liquid metal your GPU.
On my laptop cpu temps are idle 40C,max load 75C, which aren't necessarily terrible. thankfully the heatsink is copper (gpu is out of the question as its disabled lel)

On my desktop cpu temps are idle 38C, max load 65C, which again aren't terrible considering I have an aio cooler with a dual rad.

I might consider it if I were ever to switch to a more demanding workload. It sounds pretty cool

I agree with @pastrychef - work on making your new machine as quiet and cool as possible (although I'm not as brave and wouldn't de-lid! o_O)

Having owned real Macs I always appreciated their quiet efficiency, however the limited hardware is frustrating.

Getting a PC as quiet as a Mac isn't too easy. You can get close though. Coolness is a whole lot easier. Macs these days run hot. No doubt about it. A well-designed PC system can, as you've shown with your build, run easily sub-40 degrees-C. My previous one regularly ran sub-30. As there's no difference in CPU and cooler between my last machine and this, the temperature differences must be down to how well I mounted the CPU cooler. I'll have to revisit my work!

Noise wise, when the data hard-drive spins down the system runs very quietly. The only sound from the PSU fan, which is by no means loud, just the loudest part. It's next on my to-do list.

As for usage - do what you would do on any computer, PC or Mac.

:)

I agree with @pastrychef - work on making your new machine as quiet and cool as possible (although I'm not as brave and wouldn't de-lid! o_O)

Having owned real Macs I always appreciated their quiet efficiency, however the limited hardware is frustrating.

Getting a PC as quiet as a Mac isn't too easy. You can get close though. Coolness is a whole lot easier. Macs these days run hot. No doubt about it. A well-designed PC system can, as you've shown with your build, run easily sub-40 degrees-C. My previous one regularly ran sub-30. As there's no difference in CPU and cooler between my last machine and this, the temperature differences must be down to how well I mounted the CPU cooler. I'll have to revisit my work!

Noise wise, when the data hard-drive spins down the system runs very quietly. The only sound from the PSU fan, which is by no means loud, just the loudest part. It's next on my to-do list.

hmm...
My pc is more like a workstation and it has a total of about 5 spinning hard drives with multiple os'es (gotta give credit to clover for handling about 9 of them. Even heard of Hannah Montana Linux brah? /s). So sound isn't really an expectation when it comes to it.
As for my laptop, I'm not aware of controlling hp's fans in any way, specially under macOS. I've already replaced its thermal paste with arctic cooler MX4 so the next step would be liquid metal if any. So thanks for the suggestion.

In other news I tried playing cs:go on my laptop and it runs pretty well for intel hd but for some reason I can see enemy's shapes thru smoke giving me wallhackso_O. Not sure if it's something wrong with the game or intel kexts. Probably both

I'm just curious: what do y'all do after finishing your hackintosh?
Do you trust it with mission critical tasks (job related etc)?
How much do you use it daily compared to other windows builds or "real" Macs?

1. Find a REALLY good desktop pic for my 24" gaming monitor. (Mine is from "Obduction," uploaded below.)
2. Hey, i'm retired... no issue there.
3. 100% daily. (My 2.7 GHz liquid-cooled dual-core PPC G5 just sits there on the carpet, rusting away. But it does run OS X 10.4.11, so it can run Classic apps.)

Attachments

• Obduction Concept Art 1920x1080.jpg.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 45
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back