Graphics
HD4000
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello everybody, I'm glad to post for the first time here on the community. The guides are awesome and very useful, and I wanted to thank everyone who puts all their effort for this hard work. I really appreciate it.

Well, the thing is, I'm looking for a laptop to buy for my next 5 university years. My career (Public administration) doesn't require any fancy video or photography editing software, so I can go fine with an i3 or i5. I intend to take notes in class, create, edit and project my Keynote presentations and maybe playing some old games (got stuck at 2000' games hehehe) (that's where a dual-boot with Windows may be handy). With this use to consider, my concern is for it to be lightweight and with a long battery life.

I've been reading guides, and am stuck between the Lenovo IdeaPad u310, and the HP Probook 4540s. The IdeaPad u310 is the lightweight I was imagining, but I'm a hackintosh noob (I have never edited an SSDT file, but I would take the challenge), and don't know if the u310 would be that easy. On the other hand, the 4540s is an easy hackintosh-able notebook, but more heavy if compared with the u310. There again, the 4540s is cheaper, and seems to fit my performance requirements.

I would like to hear your opinions: Is the 4540s more than enough, or should I go for the u310? Is the u310 THAT complicated for it to have the latest Mavericks?

The exact models I intend to buy are:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/probook...5518&skuId=8447122&st=probook 4540s&cp=1&lp=1

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-13-3-Inch-Touchscreen-Ultrabook-Graphite/dp/B00ATANWLK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392671836&sr=8-1&keywords=lenovo+ideapad+u310

Thanks in advance, I appreciate any thoughts!
Greetings from Chile!

Hello everybody, I'm glad to post for the first time here on the community. The guides are awesome and very useful, and I wanted to thank everyone who puts all their effort for this hard work. I really appreciate it.

Well, the thing is, I'm looking for a laptop to buy for my next 5 university years. My career (Public administration) doesn't require any fancy video or photography editing software, so I can go fine with an i3 or i5. I intend to take notes in class, create, edit and project my Keynote presentations and maybe playing some old games (got stuck at 2000' games hehehe) (that's where a dual-boot with Windows may be handy). With this use to consider, my concern is for it to be lightweight and with a long battery life.

I've been reading guides, and am stuck between the Lenovo IdeaPad u310, and the HP Probook 4540s. The IdeaPad u310 is the lightweight I was imagining, but I'm a hackintosh noob (I have never edited an SSDT file, but I would take the challenge), and don't know if the u310 would be that easy. On the other hand, the 4540s is an easy hackintosh-able notebook, but more heavy if compared with the u310. There again, the 4540s is cheaper, and seems to fit my performance requirements.

I would like to hear your opinions: Is the 4540s more than enough, or should I go for the u310? Is the u310 THAT complicated for it to have the latest Mavericks?

The exact models I intend to buy are:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/probook...5518&skuId=8447122&st=probook 4540s&cp=1&lp=1

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-13-3-Inch-Touchscreen-Ultrabook-Graphite/dp/B00ATANWLK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392671836&sr=8-1&keywords=lenovo+ideapad+u310

Thanks in advance, I appreciate any thoughts!
Greetings from Chile!

If you need the compactness of the Lenovo and want the ease of installation of the ProBook, you might consider a 14" ProBook 4440s.

The Lenovo u310 has good compatibility, with a known installation process (assuming you can read and follow instructions), but it is not as easy as the ProBook.

Thanks for the fast reply. Hmmm... I think I'll stick to the 4540s... I don't feel like paying a hundred dollars more for the difference. I can't seem to find any u310 easy-to-follow guides, so I'll have to go with the 4540s... The 15.6' might be better after all. AND, I get to change the processor any day, if I need it in the future.

Thank you.

Thanks for the fast reply. Hmmm... I think I'll stick to the 4540s... I don't feel like paying a hundred dollars more for the difference. I can't seem to find any u310 easy-to-follow guides, so I'll have to go with the 4540s... The 15.6' might be better after all. AND, I get to change the processor any day, if I need it in the future.

Thank you.

You can't beat the ease of installation with the 4540s.

The best u310/u410 info is here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks-laptop-support/114648-combined-u310-u410-mavericks-thread.html

Yeah, I'll go with the 4540s... One last question though, does the VGA-out (or HDMI with a VGA adaptor) works? I need to show my keynote presentations and don't know if that works OK.

Thanks again for the help, RehabMan

Yeah, I'll go with the 4540s... One last question though, does the VGA-out (or HDMI with a VGA adaptor) works? I need to show my keynote presentations and don't know if that works OK.

Thanks again for the help, RehabMan

There are reports that HDMI w/ VGA adapter works (I have no need for VGA, so haven't personally tested that scenario).

The VGA port does not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back