Contribute
Register

IC's 20" iMac NUC Flowerpot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Resourcefulness prevails!

I went and ordered THIS from NCIX -it's a mini-HDMI to DVI cable (I ordered the 1 metre variation), therefore eliminating ALL FORMS of adapters when linking the NUC to the iMac display. It's been running for about 45 minutes with absolutely no issues. @muk546 - so far, this seems to be the solution for us - I see you had a similar idea. I will keep the testing going, but at first glance, this seems to solve my artifacting issues. Picture is very clear, and the cable is long enough to route and extend out of the back of the iMac base so I can use the NUC before it is properly mounted, yet short enough that I can curl it up inside the NUC once it's in the base. Work has me busy, so finalizing the mod is on a bit of a hold, but the "hard work" seems to be done. Another big "Thank You" to everyone who helped.

-IC

This may indeed be a significant breakthrough, IC.

Try these vids full screen 1080p and let me know if they artifact at all. I had problems with these and used them as a test bed for my system graphic stability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abyGrHWsxaU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-P8061gkTE

Thanks!

Ersterhernd

No problems, both videos ran fine, no artifacting. I'm going to play Netflix on this machine while I work this morning to see if it starts artifacting again, but I am very optimistic that the artifacting may be dealt with.

-IC

A request for help.
I am wondering if anyone has a spare G4 logic board lying around from any of their mods? I've gotten rudimentary measurements from some 15" 700MHz G4s I have lying around, but they're a different layout from the USB 2.0 version that I'm using in this mod. Unfortunately, I sold the logic board from this 20" G4, but I am wondering if someone could get me some measurements:
image.jpg

Preferably in millimeters, the ones I took from my 15" I wasn't really able to get close with, since the 15" iMacs are functioning and I didn't exactly want to rip out the logic board. The picture is taken from BELOW, for reference.
Thanks again.
-IC

Sorry for the delay I didn't make any cuts so the ones I "estimated" have question marks next to them

A = 6.6in
B = 3.6in
C = .25in?
D= 6 in
E= 3.4in
F= 3in ???

For E and D i started from the power button is that what you wanted? It was a little confusing to me...

Parts are in the mail. Hope to have you guys updated soon, it's been a while since any real work has been done to the iMac, but it functions flawlessly. I've been using the machine with the NUC hooked up outside the dome for quite some time (much easier than turning on my furnace of a 3,1 tower).

Update (10/15/14):

Life has gotten in the way of completing this project. The iMac has been running fantastically for the last few months, however the NUC is still not mounted in the base. I have decided to use a circuit board for the back panel. I will post the design within the next few days for anyone interested.

Resourcefulness prevails!

I went and ordered THIS from NCIX -it's a mini-HDMI to DVI cable (I ordered the 1 metre variation), therefore eliminating ALL FORMS of adapters when linking the NUC to the iMac display.

Now there are better options than having to coil 1m of cables inside the flowerpot :D in the form of a Dell 0MCP1 ala 2XWPC adapter. There are some $8 analogs on the bay too vs. $21 for the Dell piece, so I am debating whether to pay more or wait longer :crazy:. However the DVI male connector I have is DVI-I so I have to mod away the analog pins for it to mate...

I am going this way for sure rather than cutting up a perfectly good cable and soldering myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back