Contribute
Register

IC's 20" iMac NUC Flowerpot

Status
Not open for further replies.
NEWS:
There is NO artifacting on the 20 inch display over DVI, yet mild artifacting over HDMI. This leads me to believe that it's the converter. I'll be off to MicroCenter to purchase a new one today. I'll also be picking up my NUC. Here we go... :beachball:

The NUC is fantastic.

OS X install was very straightforward using THIS guide here, as well as some customization on the system definition. ;)
At current, the display is attached to the iMac via miniDisplayPort to HDMI to DVI. I've gone and ordered a mini-HDMI to DVI cable (no adapters) to solve my artifacting issue, which is for sure caused by the HDMI converter.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-26 at 12.06.41 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-05-26 at 12.06.41 AM.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 296
IC, what does your artifacting look like? Little red or green dots (thousands of them)?

I wouldn't quite say thousands. Since swapping the HDMI cord, it's more like a couple hundred max. At some times, it's not even noticeable, but other times it's very obvious, I assume based on the colours present on the screen at the time. It has to be the connection, though. DVI from my Mac Pro (GTX 660) works perfectly as long as there's no adapter, as well as DVI from my Hackintosh (HD 4000).

Interesting. I tried several converters swapped out of other machines, but nothing really helped. I had no choice but to swap in an HD4000 NUC that was artifact-free on the 20" LCD. Fingers are crossed that you'll have better luck with yours than I did.

That said, the new Haswell NUC is terrific, I use it in my 17" iMac all the time.

Cheers!

I have found the culprit!

Turns out the Mini-Displayport to HDMI adapter I was using was causing the artifacting! I plugged the iMac into my GTX 660 on my Mac Pro via both DVI and HDMI with NO artifacting whatsoever, as well as into HD 4000 on my i5 tower via HDMI and DVI with NO artifacting, however into my MBP via the Mini Displayport, I get artifacting.

Fortunately, I've ordered a DVI to mini HDMI cable, so adapter problems should be solved. That should be here by the end of the week, and I can finally get the NUC shoved into the base.

Thanks for the help.
-IC

That what I was planning on doing for my mod. Please let me know how it works otherwise I will have to buy the HD 4000 NUC, I'm not gonna let some dumb display issues ruin my hard work ;)

The cable should arrive some time this week, at this point I'm just satisfied that it's not my wiring that's messed up, and it's also not EMI. I'll keep you all posted, good luck completing your mod, I really do love the 20" display.

Theses things will be beautiful if we can get this done. Your quite a bit ahead, I'm just glad I freed the pins without damaging anything I really hope that cable solution works! Because other than that I can't think of any reason why @ersterhernd's iMac 20in artifacted with the HD 5000 graphics he said it worked fine under windows so it HAS to be an OSX issue I think that since there's only one mac model with HD 5000 (MacBookAir) maybe poorly optimized drivers? But you never know till you try, the multiple adapters between screens could cause it as well. Good Luck keep us posted!

Plans:

6123589-1.jpg

Back Panel diagram of the G4 shell.

1) Originally mini VGA Out - mini-DisplayPort Out
2) USB 2.0 Ports - USB 3.0 Ports
3) FireWire 400 - ?? (USB 3.0 Port - Horizontal?)
4) Original Power - Re-Use (Original Power)
5) Modem - ??
6) 100 MBPS Ethernet - Gigabit Ethernet
7) Proprietary Pro Speakers - Combo Mic & Stereo
8) Audio In - Audio In
9) Audio Out - Audio Out

NUC Headers & Ports

1) mini-DisplayPort Out - mini-DisplayPort Out from NUC Rear
2) USB 3.0 - Two from Back Panel, One from Front Panel
3) ?? (USB 3.0 Port?) - 1 Remaining USB 3.0 Port
4) AC to Antec Power Brick to NUC & Pico Power
5) Port Closed
6) Gigabit Ethernet - Gigabit Ethernet from Rear of Intel NUC
7, 8, 9) Combo Audio Port, Audio In, Audio Out - 1 Combo Audio Port on Front of Intel NUC (Circuit?)

Other fun stuff - internal Mic & Speakers?
2 USB 2.0 Headers on NUC motherboard unused at the moment. Pico is jumped via 5V Pin 9 on the front panel header. Rewire Power LED from Pico 3.3V input to Power LED header on NUC?

Mount NUC in base of iMac Shell - no idea.

Extend WiFi Antennae to original iMac G4 WiFi Antennae?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back