Contribute
Register

IC's 20" iMac NUC Flowerpot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Parts are in the mail. Hope to have you guys updated soon, it's been a while since any real work has been done to the iMac, but it functions flawlessly. I've been using the machine with the NUC hooked up outside the dome for quite some time (much easier than turning on my furnace of a 3,1 tower).

Update (10/15/14):

Life has gotten in the way of completing this project. The iMac has been running fantastically for the last few months, however the NUC is still not mounted in the base. I have decided to use a circuit board for the back panel. I will post the design within the next few days for anyone interested.

Any updates IC?

Cheers!

Any updates IC?

Cheers!

With the holiday season approaching, I hope to resume work soon. Not much has been accomplished, (more hours at work, less time to mod) but the NUC and the G4 display have been running very well without a hitch.

The one addition I've made since the last update was to install an Azure Wave BT/WiFi Combo Card into the NUC (the one recommended by Toleda in his WiFi Guide) which works fantastically, and I've switched the bootloader over to Clover from Chimera. Unfortunately, iMessage is being problematic right now, meaning I am unable to verify if Handoff/Continuity works, though my System Profiler says they're supported.

Circuit board for the rear I/O is under construction. The USB 3.0 headers are 9 pin making soldering difficult. When I get a break at work today, I will update this post with all that needs to be accomplished when I get a break today. Thanks for everyone's continued interest, I hope this will be complete soon.

-IC

NUC Flowerpot Things To Do:
(This Post Will Be Updated Periodically as I Add More Things/Get More Time)

In No Particular Order:

• Splice NUC and iMac Power Cords
  • Build Audio Array
  • Print/Construct Back Panel Circuit Board
  • Re Wire Power LED on iMac Screen to NUC Header
  • Mount NUC in iMac Dome
  • Solve WiFi/BT Signal Issues (Extend Antennae from Card)
  • Acquire BT Mouse (Currently using BT keyboard, and I love it, plus they can be hidden away without taking up room on my desk or reaching around for cables)

Audio Array:

In an effort to preserve the iMac's "All In One" mentality, I've decided to create an independent audio array to control audio inputs/outputs on the iMac. The 20 inch has 3 audio ports, one for audio in, one for out, and one that was designated for the Apple Pro Speakers. The Audio In/Out ports will be maintained and controlled by a C-Media USB Audio Adapter on the NUC. The combo port will be split (ideally, not sure if this is doable since I've YET to find a device that will do this) into a combo jack on the back (where the the Apple Pro Speaker port was) and one controlling the internal speakers and internal microphone.

If anyone has recommendations on how to accomplish this, please let me know, otherwise the internal devices might have to be excluded or the back panel might have to be excluded...

Thanks for the continued interest...
-IC

The 20 inch has 3 audio ports, one for audio in, one for out, and one that was designated for the Apple Pro Speakers.

I've only reused the proprietary 6pin 2.5mm speaker port in my HemiMac (I' don't need other sound ports). It's powered from an internal AMP. The internal mic works too and is connected with an USB sound dongle, as well as the AMP. See here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/imac-mods/104625-mactester57s-hemimac-g4-9.html#post654600 I guess it's still the only G4 mod, which reuses the original speaker connector. Works fine.

Good hacking
MacTester

I've only reused the proprietary 6pin 2.5mm speaker port in my HemiMac (I' don't need other sound ports). It's powered from an internal AMP. The internal mic works too and is connected with an USB sound dongle, as well as the AMP. See here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/imac-mods/104625-mactester57s-hemimac-g4-9.html#post654600 I guess it's still the only G4 mod, which reuses the original speaker connector. Works fine.

Good hacking
MacTester

I've gotten new speaker headers for this one. The whole back plate is going to be redone as a new circuit board, with various connectors being attached to the NUC. I've even found a nice Mini-Displayport Extension Cable that's about 6 inches long, plenty to extend the NUC port to the iMac rear I/O.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back