Contribute
Register

iBoot on USB Stick using PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
If nothing is working for you dude you can always install via external usb cd/dvd drive.
i know tonymac was talking about a usb iboot but havnt seen it yet/maybe still working on that process as we speek.have no idea on timeframe etc........

Thank you for your suggestions.

I know this Vaio can boot from USB as I put Ubuntu on it via this method.

What i might try is:

1) remove laptop hdd and put in a caddy
2) use another machine to make it bootable for iboot
3) put the hdd back in Vaio and boot

Having said that...i tried to boot it once without a hdd but with the usb and it gave me the message 'operating system not found.'

I might have to just buy a new machine as this one is doing my head in!

SurreySprite said:
Thank you for your suggestions.

I know this Vaio can boot from USB as I put Ubuntu on it via this method.

What i might try is:

1) remove laptop hdd and put in a caddy
2) use another machine to make it bootable for iboot
3) put the hdd back in Vaio and boot

Having said that...i tried to boot it once without a hdd but with the usb and it gave me the message 'operating system not found.'

I might have to just buy a new machine as this one is doing my head in!

:lol: :thumbup: let us know how it turns out...... :thumbup:

SurreySprite said:
Just checked on another machine and the USB multi-boot works fine.

There is a problem which is Vaio related.

Very frustrating!

good to hear but i see you got more troubles :!:

I had the same issue and tried many different programs, one that works for me is FlashBoot. It has a free trial with an annoying 30s delay at boot but it works perfectly.

http://www.prime-expert.com/flashboot/

One thing you should know before you begin this is that iBoot on an usb stick will not help you boot a retail dvd from the cd/dvd drive. If i understood it right you will have to either get iBoot to work on cd and use SL install cd or solve the whole thing with only usb-sticks but in that case it will be a bit complicated. I'm not entierly sure about this so please correct me if I'm wrong!

Once you've successfully installed snow leopard onto your hd it will work fine with iBoot on usb-stick!

thank you Villsen!

I've been trying to get iBoot to work from a USB for days now and have been unable to do so without access to a currently working install of Mac OSX with administrator privileges. But finally, thanks to your recommendation of flashboot I got it to work.

Now on to trying to get my triple boot system working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back