Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello everyone,

Excited to get going with my installation of Snow Leopard and have my DVD of the OS.

Unfortunately, I have a problem with my CD/DVD drive which means i can't boot from it. Appears to be a BIOS issue with Sony VAIOs and i have tried the usual tasks.

This means i need to get iBoot onto a USB stick, i know booting from USB works as i have booted Ubuntu from it.

Other posts i have read have given a method which uses a Mac to create the bootable iBoot USB.

Does anyone know of a method using a PC? I do not have access to a Mac.

Thank you in advance.
James

SurreySprite said:
Hello everyone,

Excited to get going with my installation of Snow Leopard and have my DVD of the OS.

Unfortunately, I have a problem with my CD/DVD drive which means i can't boot from it. Appears to be a BIOS issue with Sony VAIOs and i have tried the usual tasks.

This means i need to get iBoot onto a USB stick, i know booting from USB works as i have booted Ubuntu from it.

Other posts i have read have given a method which uses a Mac to create the bootable iBoot USB.

Does anyone know of a method using a PC? I do not have access to a Mac.

Thank you in advance.
James

heres a guide from insanely mac to do that
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... ded&start=
:thumbup: second post on page.......

and here is another way as well http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multi ... b-creator/
good luck with it;i like pendrive best :thumbup:

Thank you for the link, i knew there must be a way. I had tried a few but to no avail.

I have run into a problem with this guide as well. My USB is partitioned and ready to go.

However, the XPC prepare tool (which i searched on the web for ) is a .pkg file. How do i run this in windows xp or ubuntu?

Thanks for your help :)

SurreySprite said:
Thank you for the link, i knew there must be a way. I had tried a few but to no avail.

I have run into a problem with this guide as well. My USB is partitioned and ready to go.

However, the XPC prepare tool (which i searched on the web for ) is a .pkg file. How do i run this in windows xp or ubuntu?

Thanks for your help :)

you need to download the windows tool,its in the links on those pages if you cant find it let me know..

use the second link and download the exe file and follow those directions on page exactly... :thumbup: :thumbup:

Hmm still can't find it. Links seem to be dead or it just downloads a .pkg.

I had a look at the second method using YUMI. If i did this what distribution should i choose to put on the USB?

Thank yo for your help, i am anxious to put that Snow Leopard DVD in the drive and get installing! :)

SurreySprite said:
Hmm still can't find it. Links seem to be dead or it just downloads a .pkg.

I had a look at the second method using YUMI. If i did this what distribution should i choose to put on the USB?

Thank yo for your help, i am anxious to put that Snow Leopard DVD in the drive and get installing! :)

Using this method is entirely up to you.........
example you can install on an 8gb usb...around 7 versions of linux
or you can install 2or3 versions of linux and on a seperate partition in same you can install windows as well,,creating a multiboot usb of many flavours....

but in basics you can install any iso image you like no matter what it is[anything at all]

but you only require iboot for the minute..it may work with osx as well but configuration is a little trickier;thats up to you.

that tool makes the usb drive bootable first and then you can install anything you like its up to you;but follow the guide on it 100%..
:headbang: :headbang:

and as more info you can use that as a multiboot as i said and use it anytime to boot into any os you like to play with;without having to use any hdd space on your pc:::::::::: :thumbup:and if you choose to install any distro its straight off the usb drive onto your hdd
:thumbup:

That tool looks great but... My Vaio doesn't like it.

I used YUMI to put the iBoot iso image onto the USB, which worked no problem.

However when i boot from it, it boots straight into my current OS on that machine (Ubuntu).

Seems to me that my Vaio is very picky about what it wants to boot. USB drive is top of the boot order and HDD is the very last option.

Any ideas? Would the first method be work trying? I can't find the XPC Prepare tool.

Sorry if i am being awkward!

SurreySprite said:
That tool looks great but... My Vaio doesn't like it.

I used YUMI to put the iBoot iso image onto the USB, which worked no problem.

However when i boot from it, it boots straight into my current OS on that machine (Ubuntu).

Seems to me that my Vaio is very picky about what it wants to boot. USB drive is top of the boot order and HDD is the very last option.

Any ideas? Would the first method be work trying? I can't find the XPC Prepare tool.

Sorry if i am being awkward!

you cant use pkg file in windows... :thumbdown:
i dont know why its not working for you.try this ;;;reformat usb
make usb bootable as before then transfer files manually from iboot disc to usb drive and give that a go.if that doesnt work for you go to google and search for methods to install iboot on usb flash drive

another program :http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ and go to home page of this for instructions to use....

Just checked on another machine and the USB multi-boot works fine.

There is a problem which is Vaio related.

Very frustrating!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back