Contribute
Register

iBoot + MultiBeast: Install Mac OS X on any Intel-based PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off thanks for the wonderful support you have provided Tony, as we all wouldn't be here if it weren't for it!!!

Second.
I have a Dell Inspiron 1764 that has had SL successfully installed on it, but when trying to install update 10.6.3 it trashes the install after a kernel panic happens. That I am not so worried about.
I have tried your iBoot supported and it will install but during boot up will stop at

"EHCI Controller [8086:3B3C]
EBIOS Read error:Device timeout
Block 0x21c8d804 sectors 0"

This will continue indefinitely until it crashes completely and just stops.
I have this on nearly all the iBoot cds, except for one, it is I believe the second ati Iboot cd down on the list, it starts with -x -v by default even if I don't specify it. I was wondering if you could make a iboot cd that has the best of both those worlds, so that I can get this working very easily. I can have both touchpad and kb working with the supported cd which is very nice though of course the ati still will not work without having the -x...
Thanks for your help once again!!!...

Do you still need use only 4gb of ram with iboot 2.0?

also before i buy a copy of SL has anyone installed SL on a dell desktop?

Has anyone tried this witt a 10.6.3 retails dvd?

as i get a kernal panic when i try to boot the install disk from iboot.

kuliand said:
Has anyone tried this witt a 10.6.3 retails dvd?

as i get a kernal panic when i try to boot the install disk from iboot.
You need to use iBoot-Supported or with iBoot you enter boot time parameters with your configuration.

Ye i have been using iboot-supported v2 but i have a seen a thread with some people saying they went back to iboot supported v1 and that worked for them so im trying to find that, just giving the nvidia iboot a go aswell.

Edit- install is now done used iboot-supported just need to fix networking.

Oh and to speed up the process of re-installing if you break your fresh install like i did while trying to get the best config i used clonezilla to clone the hard disk just after the install process is finished also means i can leave all 8gb of ram now.

Ok...this is what happens to mine. Sorry guys, I'm still reading theough all the stuff on the board, so excuse me if I missed something.

Giga GA-P55-UD3 (or was it4) mobo
i7 860 cpu, stock
8 GB of Corsair XMS 1600 RAM
Ati 4890 graphics, worked fine on the old EP35 mobo with 10.5

First, ripped out 4 GB of ram
Checked Bios settings
disabled internal networking
disabled non-intel sata controllers
clean HD for OSX

Faffed about with iBoot-ATI first, got nowhere.

Booted wit iBoot-supported
Did the F5 tango, slotted in 10.6.0
Installed...so far so good
reinsert iBoot, reboot
choose OSX... works fine
install DWA-140 networking with driver from Ralink website
reboot with iBoot
choose OSX and boot
open MultiBeast
run 10.6.4 combo...all goes well

restart Multibeast
Install 'supported CPU's'
install Ati-Exotic by netkas
Install hda rollback to 10.6.2
Install 889 sound driver

take out Boot
reboot
After the boot sequence starts and some HD rattling, I get the please restart you computer' screen...which I do
And again
And again...

So, I'm stuck. Any suggestions welcome !

Thanks,

Peter

Edit : I reinstalled with ONLY supported Kernel and repair permissions.
It's working now, but I have to sort out the sound and the video. I'm afraid I'll break it again :think:

Edit 2 : Installed the 10.6.3 4890 kexts (as described on this here board)...KABOOM...it's broken. Perpetual reset syndrome.

[MOD note] sbutler5 series of questions about DELL Inspiron 1764 splited to separate topic: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=3402

Lnx2Mac

Hello, great informative site an i have managed to split my drive to 3 paritions using format and then install Windows 7 to partition 3 then reboot to iBoot screen.
But having abit of trouble with Snow Leopard showing on the iBoot screen, all it shows is my Windows 7 parition and what i think is a Sata hard drive icon after i place the disc in the drive and press F5, would it be the fact that my drive is PATA?

Sudds said:
Hello, great informative site an i have managed to split my drive to 3 paritions using format and then install Windows 7 to partition 3 then reboot to iBoot screen.
But having abit of trouble with Snow Leopard showing on the iBoot screen, all it shows is my Windows 7 parition and what i think is a Sata hard drive icon after i place the disc in the drive and press F5, would it be the fact that my drive is PATA?
We do not support or discuss distributions on this forum. We only support installations using a purchased retail version of Snow Leopard per http://www.tonymacx86.com/faq.php#f0r3.

Comin at ya from Safari!
Cant quite believe am runnin Snow Leopard!
Used iBoot Supported for the install, so far no complications, left my PCI ethernet card in before install and (obviously lol) its working perfect, sound is perfect as well.
Only thing is some of the function keys on the keyboard has changed, which is a wireless
Logitech EX110.
So far so good!
Thanks a million Tonymac and all involved, shall do some more testing and post results of set-up on the forum.
Cheers, Sudds. :headbang: :D

Just dawned on me... if i place chameleon on my Snow Leopard partition, my extra ram and extra sata drive (that is currently disconnected) will not be detected, therefore it wont boot onto the iboot screen... am i right in saying this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back