EVGA 980 TI Hybrid
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

Successfully managed to get my 4.8GHz 6700K overclock stable and working in OS X. Geekbench 3 results looking pretty good so far!

Screen Shot 2016-03-31 at 10.48.22.png

For those who struggle to get their overclock into OS X, keep tinkering it is worth the effort in the end! 20% increase in CPU power is a great result.

Hi,

These are nice scores.
Can you be more specific about your overclock? What did you do exactly? What CPU cooler are you using?

Can you be more specific about your overclock? What did you do exactly? What CPU cooler are you using?

Of course. The Asus Z170-A made overclocking easy. I have 16GB of Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2133Mhz - I applied an XMP profile to the RAM so that is running at 3000MHz.

For the CPU I adjusted settings in the bios "AI Tweaker" tab

The AI overclock tuner was set to manual, and synced all cores to same multiplier of 48. CPU voltage is currently at 1.41 volts which is necessary to achieve a stable 4.8GHz - any lower and the system is unstable.

That is literally it once it booted I began stress testing to find the lowest stable voltage.

The CPU cooler the system is running is a Corsair Hydro H110i GT which although expensive is an incredible piece of kit and keeps my temps very low indeed. The CPU idle sits between 24-28'c and under a 100% stress test load under Prime 95 and LinX temps did not exceed 63'c but normally sit between 50-60'c.

My previous build to this was an old Core 2 Quad Q6600. The UEFI bios really makes overclocking a straight forward process it's just a case of being patient and finding the settings unique for your silicon chip!

Does HW monitor or Intel Power Gadget show the speed of your overclock? Mine wont show so I dont even know if its working in OSX, but its fine in windows

Yes, my overclock is visible in the Intel gadget.

hmm yeah mine isn't showing - i have a 6700k and an Asus Z170-k. Mac Pro 6,1 system definition.

Did you enable or disable speed step, and what about the c states? Any other BIOS changes?

I did all my overclocking in the BIOS.
I don't have Windows. Can't help you much, my Z170x is quite different from yours.

Yeah I did all the overclocking in the bios too, thats not the issue, the problem is that it wont show up on intel power management in OSX and its driving me mad!

I suppose my question is more toward the OP who has a similar motherboard to me.

Of course. The Asus Z170-A made overclocking easy. I have 16GB of Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2133Mhz - I applied an XMP profile to the RAM so that is running at 3000MHz.

For the CPU I adjusted settings in the bios "AI Tweaker" tab

The AI overclock tuner was set to manual, and synced all cores to same multiplier of 48. CPU voltage is currently at 1.41 volts which is necessary to achieve a stable 4.8GHz - any lower and the system is unstable.

That is literally it once it booted I began stress testing to find the lowest stable voltage.

The CPU cooler the system is running is a Corsair Hydro H110i GT which although expensive is an incredible piece of kit and keeps my temps very low indeed. The CPU idle sits between 24-28'c and under a 100% stress test load under Prime 95 and LinX temps did not exceed 63'c but normally sit between 50-60'c.

My previous build to this was an old Core 2 Quad Q6600. The UEFI bios really makes overclocking a straight forward process it's just a case of being patient and finding the settings unique for your silicon chip!

Did you just change the multiplier and voltage, was there anything else you needed to do in OSX to get it to work?

I also put a 6700k SSDT somewhere (not in front of my build)in the EFI partition. Search on tm86 and you will find.

Ok worked it out, i enabled generate P states in Clover Configurator and this fixed it. Confirmed by a susbtantial increase in Geekbench score too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back