Contribute
Register

i7 6700K - Z170-A Overclock results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you guys running Sierra? I'm seeing occasional OC numbers in the HWMonitor but not at 4.5K (my OC speed) all the time. Also I didn't add SSDT since it's Sierra.

For what it's work my geekbench scores are higher than the posted ones here and consistent with Linux but the numbers in macOS for the clock are off. System information reports correct OC memory but says the bus is 400MHz which is wrong.

Of course I did read, the reason why I would like to install ssdt are my fans that work really weird. Before the overclocking and with ssdt everything was fine and CPU could reach 800 MHz, now usually runs 1-1.3 GHz at idle and fans don't work stable.

My fans work fine. I've tweaked my hack till perfection, lots of stuff in SSDT's, not just speedstepping. But you have a different board, my tweaks will not help you.
BTW, I can adjust the behaviour of my fans in the BIOS too.

El Cap and Sierra are almost the same(in the sense of used SSDT's/config), only difference is in the Clover version. Geekbench/general behaviour is the same, give or take a couple of percent.
Only improvements that I am seeing are in Thunderbolt/USB3.1.

What are you installing? My board is similar if not near identical.

My fans work fine. I've tweaked my hack till perfection, lots of stuff in SSDT's, not just speedstepping. But you have a different board, my tweaks will not help you.
BTW, I can adjust the behaviour of my fans in the BIOS too.

For what it's worth, the score in macOS on the 6700K @ 4.5GHz (even though it's reporting 4GHz)

Single Core: 6053
Multi Core: 21643

It is similar, but not the same. Also, watch out for different BIOS versions... I'm on F20.
I'm not in front my Hack now, don't know from the top of my head.
Rehabman stuff, Violet Dragon stuff, etc.

Ah ok, I stayed back from F20 given all the stuff the thread spoke about. I need the fixes but fear more breakage.

It is similar, but not the same. Also, watch out for different BIOS versions... I'm on F20.
I'm not in front my Hack now, don't know from the top of my head.
Rehabman stuff, Violet Dragon stuff, etc.

It does, the machine is perfect right now. Its VERY temperamental with changes on partitions (the F5 BIOS bug) and goes into a fit after updates, however, I can calm it down with some tender care.

My Mac Pro 5,1 hits similar multicore (12-core 3.46GHz) ironically. These i7s are quite good.

Going to take your advice and just leave the machine where it is, I'm thinking it's actually hitting the overclock since the score is near identical in Linux and I see the overclock reported. That or it make no difference what so ever (or macOS is way faster.)

Those are good scores. If all the rest(USB3, GPU) you need works, I would leave it like it is.

For the stuff I need to do on a workstation, it is as good as it gets. Quite happy with my Hack. Thank you, all @ Tonymac!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back