Contribute
Register

i7-3770K + GA-Z77X-UD5H Share your best practices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, that's the problem with OC'ing for me. You get a faster system, but its always fast, so you lose all the great benefits of the power-sipping IB i7.

Does anyone know how to OC to say, 4.5GHz, but still allow the machine to idle at 1.6 GHz? If so, please tell!

Well to make it a short story, Disabling CPU PLL Overvoltage was not a good idea after all because of wake from sleep problems. My hackingtosh became unstable. I manually patched the AppleRTC cmos reset and it fixed the problem. But on the other hand, the hackingtosh would not sleep automatically anymore...

So the easy fix is not to set profile1 for the memory, but manually set the memory multiplier to 16. I get just about the geekbench I used to get before removing profile1. ==> I will need to do a memory test to see if there is a lack of voltage that would cause errors.

Or else, I was thinking about manually finding the right value for my cpu pll and see if it can fix the wake instability problem too...

PS : My hackingtosh will turn off and so does my screen... Both are setted to 1 minutes in the power saving option, but it takes 2-3 minutes for the screen to turn off, and it takes 8-9 minutes for the pc to turn asleep. Not really a big deal at it works perfectly.

EDIT : Adding Informations and correcting sleep information

32436-geekbench-10-8-2-ml.jpg

Overclocked at 4.2 on an Ivy Bridge i5-3570K

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi!

Which would be "bare minimal" values for this combo? Kind of a threshold below which we can know something is not working properly...

Thanks!

hello - just spotted this thread and thought I should share some info

with no overclock my machine score 14750 or thereabout - sometimes higher, sometimes lower

overclocked to 4.7ghz it scores 17342
overclocked to 4.6ghz it scores 17116

I have full sleep wake functionality on non-overclock - only issue is ejection of External USB when connected via Front USB (which I can get round if necessary by using Jettison). As of 10.8.2 my overclock no longer allows sleep - will investigate this at a later time!

have a look at my build description for any more info or ask

this is the most stable hackintosh I have ever built - it has never KP'd even when overclocked :thumbup:

edited to add
Just did a quick over-clock to 4.6ghz using all auto settings and sleep works - however this will of course mean that the voltage is too high and also the high temps associated with more voltage on Ivy Bridge - the Auto settings supply much higher voltages than when you do a systematic step by step over-clock. e.g. the Auto over-clock I just tested supplies over 1.35v to the CPU whilst my previous 4.6ghz over-clock used only 1.27v. At some point I will investigate this further but right now I am not using the over-clock.

Well to make it a short story, Disabling CPU PLL Overvoltage was not a good idea after all because of wake from sleep problems. My hackingtosh became unstable. I manually patched the AppleRTC cmos reset and it fixed the problem. But on the other hand, the hackingtosh would not sleep automatically anymore...

So the easy fix is not to set profile1 for the memory, but manually set the memory multiplier to 16. I get just about the geekbench I used to get before removing profile1. ==> I will need to do a memory test to see if there is a lack of voltage that would cause errors.

Or else, I was thinking about manually finding the right value for my cpu pll and see if it can fix the wake instability problem too...

PS : My hackingtosh will turn off and so does my screen... Both are setted to 1 minutes in the power saving option, but it takes 2-3 minutes for the screen to turn off, and it takes 8-9 minutes for the pc to turn asleep. Not really a big deal at it works perfectly.

EDIT : Adding Informations and correcting sleep information

quick question - have you set "darkwake=10" in your org.chameleon.boot.plist - that might fix the issue with the machine not autosleeping!

Yeah, that's the problem with OC'ing for me. You get a faster system, but its always fast, so you lose all the great benefits of the power-sipping IB i7.

Does anyone know how to OC to say, 4.5GHz, but still allow the machine to idle at 1.6 GHz? If so, please tell!

that is how I overclock mine - what you need to do is overclock the speed it runs on in Turbo mode.

Hi!

Which would be "bare minimal" values for this combo? Kind of a threshold below which we can know something is not working properly...

Thanks!

I would say that if you are scoring in low to mid 13000 with 1600mhz ram you have probably got everything setup OK but with the RAM not running at its rated speed - below 13000 I would start looking for other issues. That is just of the top of my head so not exact figures etc....

Hi all,

Has anyone else noticed a not insignificant loss of performance when using later BIOS versions? When I use F14, I get a GB score of like 13,500, but when I go back to F7 or F8, I get my 14,500-14,700 again.

This is an 8% loss, which I presume is going to compatibility for things I don't even have/use.

Can anyone repeat the above just to verify?

WEll, I just updated my bios from f7, and I've gained (measuring in 32-bit mode). Just got the 64-bit version and I'm getting a 14,202 score with stock settings, system definition is iMac 12,2

EDIT: just made some changes according to your first post, with the exception of I kept the via 1394 controller enabled (I use firewire 400 for my audio); and I put memory in "normal" mode rather than turbo or extreme and got a 14,939 score! Ran it two other times and got 14,822. I'm happy with this for the stock settings! ...Also, I changed my system def back to Mac Pro 3,1 and there's really no difference in scores.

Great thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back