GA-H170-WIFI
CPU
i5-6600
Graphics
HD530
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
All,

I have overclocked my i7-2600K by changing the turbo ratio to 46 (instead of auto). When I setup my SSDT or use the DropSSDT, I get two PStates, 16 and 46.

Is there a way to overclock the processor to my 4.6GHz while still getting all of the other PStates in between? Ex, stock would be 16 34 35 36 37.

Thanks all!

Adam

[Update]

I used the Macmini5,3 SMBios.plist to resolve this issue. The file is attached to my post below.

Re: i7-2600K Overclocking and SSDT

Thanks for the replies.

I think it is because I'm manually specifying the core turbo speeds to a 46 multiplier.

It still speedsteps, but from 16 to 46. It's not a big deal and I get about a 16250 on GeekB.

You can't do by all cores.

Do turbo by per core. It'll give the option to to change the turbo for each individual cores.

If you wanna overclock to 4.2 to something like
Core1: 35
Core2: 38
Core3: 40
Core4: 42

Or you could change it to 39, 40, 41, 42
or if you want higher 45, 46, 47, 48

I read on revogirl's blog that a key thing thing to do for power management to work correctly is to set the first one to 100mhz higher then the last non turbo state (3400 for the i7-2600k) That's why the first example goes starts at 35 and works its way to 42.

But another thing noted was macmini was the best power management definition to use with sandy bridge + overclock. But i don't like the audio popping when using it so i stick with the mac pro definition. Plus I have a giant tower, and knowing my system thinks its a macmini doesn't feel right. It bugs me :/

lxlifestream said:
You can't do by all cores.

Do turbo by per core. It'll give the option to to change the turbo for each individual cores.

If you wanna overclock to 4.2 to something like
Core1: 35
Core2: 38
Core4: 42

Or you could change it to 39, 40, 41, 42
or if you want higher 45, 46, 47, 48

I read on revogirl's blog that a key thing thing to do for power management to work correctly is to set the first one to 100mhz higher then the last non turbo state (3400 for the i7-2600k) That's why the first example goes starts at 35 and works its way to 42.

But another thing noted was macmini was the best power management definition to use with sandy bridge + overclock. But i don't like the audio popping when using it so i stick with the mac pro definition. Plus I have a giant tower, and knowing my system thinks its a macmini doesn't feel right. It bugs me :/

Ah, that makes sense.

I'm assuming though that the numbers would be reversed...

Core1: 42
Core2: 41
Core4: 39

Would that then mean I would need to set the base multiplier to 38?

The reason I'm guessing it would be reversed is when I look at the BIOS, that's how the "Automatic" multipliers are listed, I'm guessing it would decrease the core clock when more cores are being used. Right?

Also, would you just add more Packages to the SSDT and increase the total number, or would you add Packages and then remove lower states that aren't being used?

Thanks again for your help!

Adam1203 said:
All,

I have overclocked my i7-2600K by changing the turbo ratio to 46 (instead of auto). When I setup my SSDT or use the DropSSDT, I get two PStates, 16 and 46.

Is there a way to overclock the processor to my 4.6GHz while still getting all of the other PStates in between? Ex, stock would be 16 34 35 36 37.

Thanks all!

Adam

You can try changing the SMBIOS.plist to something different. The best model to emulate is MacMini5,1 as it gives you the most P-states. For Gigabyte users, using iMac12,x will limit you to min/max (16 and 46 for you), MacPro3,1 will net P-states up to 20, then jump to max.

Bansaku said:
Adam1203 said:
All,

Thanks all!

Adam

You can try changing the SMBIOS.plist to something different. The best model to emulate is MacMini5,1 as it gives you the most P-states. For Gigabyte users, using iMac12,x will limit you to min/max (16 and 46 for you), MacPro3,1 will net P-states up to 20, then jump to max.

I tried the Macmini5,1 but KP'd. I found a SMBios for the 5,3 and it works great. I think it might be because the 5,1 has i5's only.?

Thanks everyone for your help!

I attached the SMBios, just edit the SMserial but keep the last four charcters, DKDJ

Attachments

• Macmini5,3_smbios.plist
    920 bytes · Views: 711
Adam1203 said:
Bansaku said:
Adam1203 said:
All,

Thanks all!

Adam

I tried the Macmini5,1 but KP'd. I found a SMBios for the 5,3 and it works great. I think it might be because the 5,1 has i5's only.?

Thanks everyone for your help!

I attached the SMBios, just edit the SMserial but keep the last four charcters, DKDJ

How I can install this SMBios from MacMini 5.3 with Multibeast ?
Please help ! :crazy:

SawGreat said:
How I can install this SMBios from MacMini 5.3 with Multibeast ?
Please help ! :crazy:

There isn't one. Open up the smbios.plist located in the extras folder and change 5,1 to 5,3. It is that simple. :p

You don't need exact info. This is what mine looks like:

Code:
	<key>SMbiosdate</key>
	<string>05/05/12</string>
	<key>SMbiosvendor</key>
	<string>ProjectOSX</string>
	<key>SMbiosversion</key>
	<string>FakeSMC rev609</string>
	<key>SMboardproduct</key>
	<string>GA-P67A-UD4-B3</string>
	<key>SMfamily</key>
	<string>Macmini</string>