Contribute
Register

Huge News! Gigabyte UEFI Sleep/Wake with NO DSDT! [TESTING]

Status
Not open for further replies.
philz said:
(...)I got it in a micro center in Denver and they told me (...)
Some support workers or sales persons got, at times, just no clue. True story, bro.

shibirian said:
philz said:
Some support workers or sales persons got, at times, just no clue. True story, bro.

Just called gigabyte and they would take a look for $20 and that if it went threw micro it'd be "free replacement" but Denver is not in Arizona... And the turnaround is 12 days once they get it which is to long....

Bah, should have gone threw amazon or newegg -_-

Regardless, point is anyone think it's silly to go z77? Seems to be its not going to be More problematic than z68

philz said:
shibirian said:
philz said:

Just called gigabyte and they would take a look for $20 and that if it went threw micro it'd be "free replacement" but Denver is not in Arizona... And the turnaround is 12 days once they get it which is to long....

Regardless, point is anyone think it's silly to go z77? Seems to be its not going to be More problematic than z68

Quoted for truth. I had pleasant customer service experience with Newegg; effectively RMAing at least two computers worth of parts. I also generally don't buy Gigabyte boards (because of customer horror stories and uncertainties like yours); but this news may change my habit on that, especially if they flood the Z68 chipsets with the UEFI that generates DSDT-less hacks.

philz said:
shibirian said:
philz said:

Learn something new everyday...I never realized that you couldn't go direct to gigabyte for rma service. If you still lived in Denver I'd just loan you a board.

wfj said:
Learn something new everyday...I never realized that you couldn't go direct to gigabyte for rma service. If you still lived in Denver I'd just loan you a board.

I went directly through Gigabyte for my P67A-UD3 when the networking chip on it died. It was a fast turn around too, about a week. 2 days out, they had it 2 days, then 3 days back.

wfj said:

Thanks! Yeah I actually called microcenter in the denver tech center and they said I could not mail it to them, they wanted me to come in only. On top of that they quoted me their website where "technical support" is only free for 30 days, I explained they are the gateway to gigabyte for an RMA. They said that I'd still have to probably pay for them to "confirm" my issue. Granted all moot since not there...

Would have loved a loaner board :D I would have done the same if I could :) Thanks though!

Gordo74 said:
I went directly through Gigabyte for my P67A-UD3 when the networking chip on it died. It was a fast turn around too, about a week. 2 days out, they had it 2 days, then 3 days back.

Strange, but thats nice!

That's what bugs me though, I think (from what I read on gigabytes site) the reason they wanted $20 is they honestly didn't think it was an issue from them.

Even after explaining how I isolated the issue (memory is fine, Intel SSD was replaced for another issue [stoped communicating with intel diagnostic utility, works ok just no secure erase by dropping the encryption keys, apparently a known issue with the first batch], and that zotac took a look at my 448 with a 2 day turnaround with a replacement [card was probably fine with their windows test suite [aparently windows recovers from minor GPU issues without much an inconvience, they said linux just dies depending on the distro–which is similar to my experience with OSX hack or real mac, but they tested the one they sent me for 6 hour stress test just in case]) to the GPU 16x socket.

Though this is the second Gigabyte board I've had go bad with GPU sockets. When I had two 6870's, the second slot went dead 2 weeks after moving to denver. I could boot in but only 2 of 3 monitors would work. Was simple to test, swap cards and it would only work in top slot lol. That was a P67 UD5P and the amazon refund scenario. (Amazon doesn't realize their the gateway, gave the link to gigabytes site and the refunded me no issue. Just an FYI for anyone else)

Regardless ordered the Z77X-UD5H, will be here tomorrow– will confine the z68 to media center duty as the x8 slot works fine, just the throughput when doing CUDA is a joke.

Sorry for random off topic gigabyte rant o_O

I'm just sick of this spat of issues, never had this much odd hardware issues -_- but we use them for the dead simple support!

thelostswede said:
They have additional high-end models coming, we know for a fact that they're working on a version with Thunderbolt, but we have no details on it. The only company that has showed off a Thunderbolt board is MSI, but it won't be available for quite some time yet.
Sadly the G1.Sniper 3 won't work if you want to use the onboard audio, but the secondary Ethernet adapter should work just fine, as it's an Intel chip, whereas the primary one is a Killer NIC, albeit a new version that is quite different from the previous ones.
As to which one will be better, well, that's really hard to say and it depends on which features, what size board and what not you're looking for.

Really? I would really want to see Gigabyte release a motherboard with Thunderbolt, although it is quite likely the local distributor in my place (Hong Kong) will not bother to get such a board. Many other Gigabyte motherboards were simply not available because the local distributor did not import it for sale, like the GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3. Oh I hate that distributor! :x

philz said:
Regardless ordered the Z77X-UD5H, will be here tomorrow– will confine the z68 to media center duty as the x8 slot works fine, just the throughput when doing CUDA is a joke.

Weird. A bit ago I read some things that indicate the performance difference between x8 and x16 (PCIe2.0, not 1.0) with today's cards is negligible.

From a girl's point of view, completely irrelevant to the significance of this update...

That's the prettiest motherboard I've ever seen. :p

brycv said:
thelostswede said:
Support for up to three displays with an Ivy Bridge CPU - not tested as we don't have a CPU at hand and either which way, there are no motherboards with two DisplayPort outputs, so it won't work with more than two either which way, as at least two of the displays have to be connected over DisplayPort if you want to use three displays

Did you find this in chipset docs? I was hoping a board with DP, DVI, and HDMI could support three monitors with an Ivy Bridge CPU.

No, it's part of the specification and it's not a secret. It's an Intel limitation and even if you use two DP displays, you'll be limited to 1920x1200 max on each of them, plus the same for one DVI, HDMI or D-sub display. If you go check Asus' manuals you'll find this http://vr-zone.com/articles/most-deskto ... 15407.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back