Vega 56
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Ok, so I already have a Photo/Video editing (Z97) hackintosh that runs great. I now want to build a simple HTPC to replace my aging Macbook Pro 2011 which runs Plex and is connected to the TV and 2 external hard drives. I want it to be a skylake build but I don't have any experience with that so I have a few concerns.

Here are the components I'm thinking of buying:

MOBO: Gigabyte H170N-Wifi
CPU: Intel i3-6100 3.7ghz Dual-Core
RAM: Crucial Budget 16gb
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250gb
PSU: SilverStone 450w SFX 80 Plus Gold
CPU COOLER: Noctua L-Type NH-L9x65
CASE: Silverstone HTPC Case ML04B
CASE FANS: 2 x 80mm Noctua case fans
HDD: 2 x 3gb 7200rpm Hard Drives (already have)
Wireless Remote Reciever: Already own a Flirc and works with my universal Harmony Remote
WIFI/BLUETOOTH: Which card???

My questions are:

1) Do I need to also get a graphics card or will the integrated HD 530 do just fine running plex (HD, 3D movies, Transcoding, Streaming)??? I think it'll be just fine without adding a graphics card.

2) What wireless card should I get so that I can have Continuity/Handoff support for this motherboard? I think it uses an m.2 slot for the wireless card, correct?

3) Are there any sleep issues with this type of setup? I plan on letting the HTPC sleep after about an hour of idle time and then have it wake for network access (when I press the button on my universal remote or try to access Plex through the Roku/TV in the bedroom). This setup currently works perfectly with my macbook pro so wanted to see if this is a problem for this mobo/integrated graphics card combo??? I know sleep issues are a problem for certain setups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back