Contribute
Register

HP Probook 6470b

Status
Not open for further replies.
02_DSDTPatch.txt:
- Modified the keyboard fn-keys patch to work on them (by work, I mean the patch applies the _DSM to the right place)

I can set the brightness and sound volume by just pressing the F keys without needing the function key. When I press the function key together with the 'F' key on my keyboard, nothing happens. I applied both patches in the DSDT (brightness and fn key). Is this correct behaviour?

I can set the brightness and sound volume by just pressing the F keys without needing the function key. When I press the function key together with the 'F' key on my keyboard, nothing happens. I applied both patches in the DSDT (brightness and fn key). Is this correct behaviour?

That is the default behavior of my voodoops2controller software. By default media functions are tied to the function keys (like a real Mac). And when you press Fn+fkeys you get F1-F12. You can switch this around in the Probook installer, or refer to the wiki for custom keyboard mapping.

Great work RehabMan, now I have some time and will try to implement your patches and report back.

I also found the MacBookpro9,2 ACPI table (attached), this macbook uses Intels HM77 chipset which is basically the same as QM77, it only lacks some of the Intels "Advanced Technologies".

03_a/03_b HDMI: similar concerns as above...
I forgot to mention, my notebook doesn't have a HDMI port but i has a displayport instead, that is even more mac like, but what does that mean when it comes to the dsdt?

Attachments

• MacBookPro9_2-ACPI.zip
    37.3 KB · Views: 147
Great work RehabMan, now I have some time and will try to implement your patches and report back.

I also found the MacBookpro9,2 ACPI table (attached), this macbook uses Intels HM77 chipset which is basically the same as QM77, it only lacks some of the Intels "Advanced Technologies".

I forgot to mention, my notebook doesn't have a HDMI port but i has a displayport instead, that is even more mac like, but what does that mean when it comes to the dsdt?

Edit: What is a good tool for monitoring the CPU (MHz, voltage, multiplier)?

Update: I applied your patches and did some testing
  • my brightness controls work with buttons F2&F3 (when you go down all the way it turns off the screen, nice!
  • no more need for the kext to fix the RTC issue
  • i can boot without the NullCPUPowerManagment.kext, the kexts I use now
    • AppleIntelCPUPowerManagment.kext (what does exactly this kext/patch do? are there any CPU specific modifications inside?)
    • FakeSMC.kext
    • AppleIntelE1000e.kext (ethernet)
    • VoodooPS2Controller.kext (in system/library/extensions)
  • Sleep works, i just have one issue, when i wake the pc from sleep, the touchpad does not respond anymore, only the top 2 mouse buttons, oddly....
  • Temperatures... need more testing and I need something like the voodooMonitor we used to use in the "old times". With that u can tweak your CPU in detail, for example i have my desktop DSDT set so that the cpu voltage never go over 1.1V (from 1.25 default, if i remember...). Maybe that could be another way to reduce fan noise/usage.

Over all seems really promissing, of the important things we only need to fix the audio, the touchpad problem after sleep and figure out what Wi-Fi cards are whitelisted. Seems double, nothing to scary.

After looking at that DSDT, I'm really unclear about how to proceed. There are not really many _DSM methods that are anything like the ones we are using on the 4x30s and none really like the ones that have been proposed for the 4x40s.

There is probably some information in the 4540s thread that could be experimented with. I read the whole thing, and will probably do so again (after Christmas), this time collecting useful DSDT snippets as I go. It is worth a read.

Also, it is a good idea to compare 4x30s and 4x40s DSDT side-by-side (along with the patches). I can do so easily on my 30" U3011. One nice feature of MaciASL is that you can load a patch file in the patch window, then make a selection that includes only a portion of the patches, and you will get the results for only that patch. Useful for figuring out what each patch does.

Updated, previous post.

Looking at the HW monitor (before i didn't have the IntelCPUMonitor extension installed (stupid me), i see it moving only between 2 states x26 and x12, so that still needs fixing. Is there anyway to display voltages too?

Definitely I will read or better said re-read the 4540s thread and experiment. The 4530s fixes work surprisingly well, for being a different chipset.

RehabMan Thank you!

touchpad worked with voodooPS2, but the double tap to click didn't work,
You need to enable double tap in the System Preferences.

Latest HWMonitor + FakeSMC (Slice/OldNavi version).

Attachments

• fakesmc_hwmonitor_rev630.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 116

Update: I applied your patches and did some testing
  • my brightness controls work with buttons F2&F3 (when you go down all the way it turns off the screen, nice!
  • no more need for the kext to fix the RTC issue
  • i can boot without the NullCPUPowerManagment.kext, the kexts I use now
    • AppleIntelCPUPowerManagment.kext (what does exactly this kext/patch do? are there any CPU specific modifications inside?)
    • FakeSMC.kext
    • AppleIntelE1000e.kext (ethernet)
    • VoodooPS2Controller.kext (in system/library/extensions)
  • Sleep works, i just have one issue, when i wake the pc from sleep, the touchpad does not respond anymore, only the top 2 mouse buttons, oddly....
  • Temperatures... need more testing and I need something like the voodooMonitor we used to use in the "old times". With that u can tweak your CPU in detail, for example i have my desktop DSDT set so that the cpu voltage never go over 1.1V (from 1.25 default, if i remember...). Maybe that could be another way to reduce fan noise/usage.

Over all seems really promissing, of the important things we only need to fix the audio, the touchpad problem after sleep and figure out what Wi-Fi cards are whitelisted. Seems double, nothing to scary.

The patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext works around problems with certain MSR (machine specific registers) being locked by the BIOS. Some people are using a patched BIOS so they can run native AICPM, but that is not an option for us.

You could try adding ACPIPoller.kext, /Extra/modules/Fanreset.dylib and if you used the FanExperimental DSDT patch, you can probably get your system fan under control. See the fan thread for more info: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/72043-new-fan-control-dsdt-silent-fan-higher-temps.html

For touchpad, if you have some C++ coding experience, grab my code and see what you can do with it as far as the wake from sleep issue and trackpad. Maybe the trackpad needs a full hw reset (0xFF).

For audio, the best thing would be to patch AppleHDA.kext. Or find one already patched.

The patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext works around problems with certain MSR (machine specific registers) being locked by the BIOS. Some people are using a patched BIOS so they can run native AICPM, but that is not an option for us.

Thx, for the clarification. Does that in any way prevent the full functioning of the speedstep, I didnt see much notebooks with ivy bridge and fully working speedstep, hows the current situation (and sorry for some novice questions, i was out of the hack scene for a few years at-least actively).

You could try adding ACPIPoller.kext, /Extra/modules/Fanreset.dylib and if you used the FanExperimental DSDT patch, you can probably get your system fan under control. See the fan thread for more info: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/72043-new-fan-control-dsdt-silent-fan-higher-temps.html
I can try that later on, my temperatures and noise doesn't seem to bad, its true that i am not doing nothing intensive on it right now, just texteditors and similar, patching code and stuff, but still my temperature in idle is about 43-45C and the fan starts at about 55C, will see how it behavie with web browsing when i get to use it (now i am in fixing mode cant enjoy it, but every new thing that starts working is "magical" :p). How are the temperatures on yours 4530s and hows the fan behavior?

For touchpad, if you have some C++ coding experience, grab my code and see what you can do with it as far as the wake from sleep issue and trackpad. Maybe the trackpad needs a full hw reset (0xFF).
I think thats not my strong part, hopefully we find help from someone with C++ knowledge and a 4540s.

For audio, the best thing would be to patch AppleHDA.kext. Or find one already patched.
I am working on it, I have he headphones and internal mic working, for the speakers i think i messed something in the platform.xml, shouldn't be to hard to fix and then maybe i can add the mic-in, i never used it in my life, so it will come when i get bored one day.

UPDATE: Just finished patching the AppleHDA.kext from the ground up thx to some great guides and people... Now the speakers work, headphones work, switch on plug-in plug-out works, internal mic works, input-line (extrenal mic) needs still to be added. I am testing it right now while writing this and it sounds perfect (same as windows), only when u are on the speakers they seem to mute before you go down in volume all the way, but that might be just the tiny speakers this notebook has.
It seems I wrongly reported the audio codec (blame AIDA64), after doing the Codec_dump in ubuntu, i saw the codec reported as 92HD81B1X5, but then again the verbits are different from what i saw around so i had to use mines and the rest went smooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back