Contribute
Register

HP Probook 4540s.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, Mad_Sunday, I looked at your video - well done! Out of curiosity, I noticed you had two Windows NTFS boot options, if you don't mind saying so, what was the second option?

One's still empty, I might use for for either a Windows XP 32 bit install (I need it to upgrade my phone :thumbdown:), a second Linux Distro (Mageia looks good) or simply as an inter-operating system, file store (by reformatting to fat32). If I go for storage I will hide it from the boot loader. Did you get the message I sent you?

Pete

Thanks, Pete, have replied by system mail.

Interesting line on XP - you will have no spare paritions to format, what do you plan to do. Also, 32-bit memory coding will be able to go to <4gb.

Hello! I have one problem with HDMI video out. When i put hdmi cable i got black screen on laptop and blue screen on monitor, but there is one thing. After turning on laptop i wait 10-15min and i got blue screen on the moment and after that i put hdmi cable and i have normally screen on the second display.

Hi

I have an HP Probook 4540s, and i bought it specifically to install Mac OS X on it, since there were no 4530s available in my area. Has anybody successfully installed Mac on it? If so, i really need a detailed guide on how it was installed, and what the BIOS settings are.

Hi

I have an HP Probook 4540s, and i bought it specifically to install Mac OS X on it, since there were no 4530s available in my area. Has anybody successfully installed Mac on it? If so, i really need a detailed guide on how it was installed, and what the BIOS settings are.

Hi,
I guess that is what this thread and the other 4540s threads are about really....yes plenty of people have successfully installed on it, and there are also variations between models - some have Ivy Bridge CPU (if your CPU has a "3" as the first number it is Ivy) and some have Sandy Bridge CPU (first number is "2").
Basic install method so far is to update to latest Bios - F31 - in Windows. Keep Bios settings as default (default settings seem fine) and then follow the instructions in the Probook Installer thread without selecting a DSDT. That will get you to a basic install from which you will then need to read around and tweak the installation.
A number of people will I am sure be writing guides soon (I am going to for mine when I get around to it!) but once you have got it to the stage of the laptop booitng then you should start work on your DSDT using the great patches and guides from Rehab man. Most patches for the 4530 seem to apply also to the 4540, but your first job will be to solve the compilation errors in the DSDT. For my DSDT the first step was to use DSDT editor and use this as the error fixing patch:

Code:
#Maintained by: RehabMan for: HP Probook 4x30s

# Fix compilation errors

# Fix _T_x compiler reserved errors
into_all all code_regex _T_0 replaceall_matched begin T_0 end;
into_all all code_regex _T_1 replaceall_matched begin T_1 end;
into_all all code_regex _T_2 replaceall_matched begin T_2 end;
into_all all code_regex _T_3 replaceall_matched begin T_3 end;
into_all all code_regex _T_4 replaceall_matched begin T_4 end;
into_all all code_regex _T_5 replaceall_matched begin T_5 end;
into_all all code_regex _T_6 replaceall_matched begin T_6 end;

# Fix parse errors 
into device label GFX0 code_regex If\s\(CondRefOf\s\(FPED\)\)\s*\n\s*\{\s*\n\s*FPED\s\(\)\s*\n\s*\} remove_matched;

# Fix 3 compilation warnings 
#rehabman: These are warnings and not sure if it a good idea to "fix" them...
#into_all all code_regex \\_SB\.F4EV,.0x0500 replaceall_matched begin F4EV, 0xFFFF end;
#into_all all code_regex \\_SB\.BEVT,.0x10 replaceall_matched begin BEVT, 0xFFFF end;

# Fix NBTT compilation error 
#rehabman: These are also warnings, and not necessary to patch
#into_all all code_regex Name\s\(NBTT,\sPackage\s\(0x08\) replaceall_matched
#begin
#Name (NBTT, Package ()
#end;

# ProBook 4x40s specific
into all code_regex Name\s+\(BB2S,[^\)].*\) replace_matched
begin
Name (BB2S, "                                                                                                                                                                                           ")
end;

This patch is a slightly modified one from the 4x30s that RehabMan wrote - it leaves out one code section though that seemed to only work for the 30s series and caused extra errors on the 4540s.

Please see RehabMans post on patching DSDT here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/70490-hp-probook-4x30s-4330-4430-4530-4730-patches-updated.html

Best advice is to go slow and add patches one at a time to see how they work and what benefits they bring.

Good luck.

Please could anyone help me with a couple of questions...

1. Will a VirtualBox ML install require the Sandy Bridge CPU - Ivy Bride Mainboard kext (for a i5-2450m with a v3 board)?

2. For a standard (non-virtual) install, when I eventually upgrade (after waiting for others to prove it first) from 10.8.2 to 10.8.3, will the kext be retained, or will kexts need to be copied again (in otehr words, do Apple upgrades smash instaled kexts)?

Thanks,

Stuart

Very nice post, minihack!
I just want to add that I disabled "Wake on LAN" and "Wake on USB" in BIOS. Otherwise sleep won't work for me.

Please could anyone help me with a couple of questions...

1. Will a VirtualBox ML install require the Sandy Bridge CPU - Ivy Bride Mainboard kext (for a i5-2450m with a v3 board)?

A virtualbox is exactly that, all components including the CPU are virtual ie they don't actually exist, they are part of the virtual computer environment, so what hardware you actually have makes no difference. The virtual "computer" is a program running within a window on the real PC. It requires nothing apart from the OS to work. Getting Mac os on it is the trick.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back