Contribute
Register

HP ProBook 4540s Successfully install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good day,
Apparently the update went well previously and my high sierra was hidden because of my HDD partition was changed to APFS, due to the fact that my clover EFI didn't have apfs.efi the partition disappeared. After I put the apfs.efi in clover all the partitions appeared. I still have functioning wifi AR9565 and only issue so far is rebooting & shutdown which just hangs on taking snapshots.

Recommended WiFi is in the guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...book-zbook-using-clover-uefi-hotpatch.232948/

Also note that the Probook github now has a 'beta' branch for 10.14.

You can still use the Atheros40 kext from high Sierra in ionetworking <-- unsure of proper name.
But will that be possible in the final release?

Did you test your HD 3000 in Mojave?

No... No sense in doing that...
Apple removed support for the Apple hardware that has Sandy Bridge/HD3000.

High Sierra is the "end of the line" for Sandy/HD3000 (good riddance).

No... No sense in doing that...
Apple removed support for the Apple hardware that has Sandy Bridge/HD3000.

High Sierra is the "end of the line" for Sandy/HD3000 (good riddance).
I saw some guys on the MacRumors forum doing experiments on real Macs and somehow got it to work by installing IOAcceleratorFamily2.kext from HS. I don't like such experiments though and I don't think this will be possible for a long time.

I saw some guys on the MacRumors forum doing experiments on real Macs and somehow got it to work by installing IOAcceleratorFamily2.kext from HS. I don't like such experiments though and I don't think this will be possible for a long time.

Such hacking is likely to be incomplete as the removal of support for this hardware likely extends to frameworks, not just kernel/kexts. And likely to be unstable... and as you mention temporarily working as more and more related code is removed, or code around it changes (changed interfaces).

Users have reported using kexts from Sierra not High Sierra to get WiFi, intel HD3000, older AMD and NVIDIA cards to work. This is totally experimental but it seems to be working, the problem is every time you update you will lose those kexts if apple replaces them in S/L/Extensions folder. Also, you will probably need a compatible system to make it through the upgrades or install.

It can be done but is it worth the effort and possible risk of frying your hardware if power Management goes bad? Not such a big deal maybe for WiFi/Bluetooth but graphics or CPU spoofing that may be risky. Like Rehabman said it’s the end of the line for some older hardware the question is do you want to cross it badly enough to take the risk?

Users have reported using kexts from Sierra not High Sierra to get WiFi, intel HD3000, older AMD and NVIDIA cards to work. This is totally experimental but it seems to be working, the problem is every time you update you will lose those kexts if apple replaces them in S/L/Extensions folder. Also, you will probably need a compatible system to make it through the upgrades or install.

It can be done but is it worth the effort and possible risk of frying your hardware if power Management goes bad? Not such a big deal maybe for WiFi/Bluetooth but graphics or CPU spoofing that may be risky. Like Rehabman said it’s the end of the line for some older hardware the question is do you want to cross it badly enough to take the risk?

Power management for Sandy and older still seems present in ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext.
You can still see plists for laptops which have been dropped, for example MacBookPro8,1.
But this is probably just an oversight for now,... I would expect by final release these plists also to be removed or maybe the entire ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext.

I haven't looked into the other kexts that are related to 6-series chipsets (for example, AppleLPC, AppleAHCIPort, AppleUSBEHCI, etc). If Apple is effective at cleaning house, I would suspect some of that would also go away.

Assuming you followed the ProBook guide, it is easy...
Code:
cd ~/Projects/probook.git
sudo ./mount_efi.sh
Thanks Rehabman. Your precious advise always helps a lot. Yes indeed. I followed the ProBook guide. Wifi & Bluetooth working fine only sound is not working in Mojave. I still cannot mount the EFI volume. Nothing happened when I enter the command ./mount_efi.sh. It shows like this in the photo.
Screenshot 2018-07-01 at 01.17.02.png

Thanks Rehabman. Your precious advise always helps a lot. Yes indeed. I followed the ProBook guide. Wifi & Bluetooth working fine only sound is not working in Mojave. I still cannot mount the EFI volume. Nothing happened when I enter the command ./mount_efi.sh. It shows like this in the photo.
View attachment 338467

You really need to read carefully.
I wrote:
Code:
sudo ./mount_efi.sh

But you wrote:
Code:
./mount_efi.sh

Do you notice the difference?

Note also that the current beta branch will work with either (the script does sudo when needed on 10.14).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back