Contribute
Register

HP ProBook 4540s - El Capitan update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the information provided. I am posting this answer so that someone else who can have the same problem solve it.

I am actually using a Hackintosh I installed a few years ago with Mavericks and I wanted to upgrade to El Capitan.

The process of creating the bootable USB was a success, the problem why it was not booting is because for some reason the laptop was not really booting from the usb, even if I set the order from usb first it was jumping. I disable all boot options except usb and that worked.

I did not post the answer before, but I actually solved this two days after posting my issue.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the information provided. I am posting this answer so that someone else who can have the same problem solve it.

I am actually using a Hackintosh I installed a few years ago with Mavericks and I wanted to upgrade to El Capitan.

The process of creating the bootable USB was a success, the problem why it was not booting is because for some reason the laptop was not really booting from the usb, even if I set the order from usb first it was jumping. I disable all boot options except usb and that worked.

I did not post the answer before, but I actually solved this two days after posting my issue.

Thanks again!

According to the guide, you should be using Esc+F9 at BIOS to boot from EFI file on the USB...

Thanks RehabMan, you're the best.

Something happened to me after applying the HP ProBook Installer 6.4.6, following the patches I have to select in the Installation of El Capitan Guide, I received an error at the end which I do not remember and after about 50% booting at the Apple logo the screen went black (I have pressed the light up button before and it worked in my Mavericks Installation) but now it does not.

I re-created the USB installation of El capitan to start all over again, after selecting it it boots and goes to a black screen again. I cannot get into the Installation process.

I did another installer with Yosemite, I installed everything and worked fine, except the WiFi and the Sound, anyway I did the upgrade to El Capitan without that to do it later.

The upgrade was a success and after applying the HP ProBook Installer, BAM, the problem again. I tried booting in verbose mode, safe mode, without caches, without injected kexts and boths, but nothing. I can see the reading hard drive light showing that it's reading the hard drive, my problem is that there is no video, just a black screen.

I've been searching online for a solution, but I could not find any.

Now both usb installers (El Capitan and Yosemite) after loading they go black too, I can even reformat the hard drive to make a new installation.

Thanks for any help, I really appreciate it! :)

Thanks RehabMan, you're the best.

Something happened to me after applying the HP ProBook Installer 6.4.6, following the patches I have to select in the Installation of El Capitan Guide, I received an error at the end which I do not remember and after about 50% booting at the Apple logo the screen went black (I have pressed the light up button before and it worked in my Mavericks Installation) but now it does not.

I re-created the USB installation of El capitan to start all over again, after selecting it it boots and goes to a black screen again. I cannot get into the Installation process.

I did another installer with Yosemite, I installed everything and worked fine, except the WiFi and the Sound, anyway I did the upgrade to El Capitan without that to do it later.

The upgrade was a success and after applying the HP ProBook Installer, BAM, the problem again. I tried booting in verbose mode, safe mode, without caches, without injected kexts and boths, but nothing. I can see the reading hard drive light showing that it's reading the hard drive, my problem is that there is no video, just a black screen.

I've been searching online for a solution, but I could not find any.

Now both usb installers (El Capitan and Yosemite) after loading they go black too, I can even reformat the hard drive to make a new installation.

Thanks for any help, I really appreciate it! :)

Try boot without caches. Boot with your USB if needed.

Update Clover to the latest.
Update IntelBacklight.kext to the latest (see Projects link in signature).

Then rebuild cache:
Code:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

Then boot normally.

Thanks for the reply on Sunday men!

I've tried booting twice without caches, but after passing all the lines with information, the screen goes black again. I recorded a video and took a picture of the last part before going black.
2016-03-20-18-26-28.png

Thanks for the reply on Sunday men!

I've tried booting twice without caches, but after passing all the lines with information, the screen goes black again. I recorded a video and took a picture of the last part before going black.
View attachment 181777

Is this booting the installer?

If so, post EFI/Clover folder as ZIP (omit 'themes' folder).

--

Please provide complete details in your profile/signature
(Profile/Settings link in upper right corner of this site)

Mobo: manufacturer/model + bootloader(Clover/Chameleon/Chimera)
CPU: detailed CPU model + motherboard chipset
Graphics: all graphics devices + laptop internal screen resolution

For example, typical Ivy laptop:
Mobo: HP ProBook 4540s (Clover)
CPU: i5-3320m/HM76
Graphics: HD4000, 1366x768

Use CPU-Z on Windows to find CPU (Core iX-xxx) and motherboard chipset (HMxx), and graphics capabilities. For a laptop, these details are important and affect critical installation procedures.

Note: When specifying your bootloader, if using Clover legacy, please be sure to specify "Clover legacy"). Specifying "Clover" will be assumed as "Clover UEFI"

No, it was not the installer booting, it was El Capitan installed on my laptop after booting without caches.

I put the information requested in my profile. hope this helps!

Thanks!

No, it was not the installer booting, it was El Capitan installed on my laptop after booting without caches.

I put the information requested in my profile. hope this helps!

Thanks!

So you already used the installer? Please be specific about what you're doing.

I just answered your question.

"Is this booting the installer?

If so, post EFI/Clover folder as ZIP (omit 'themes' folder)."

No, I am no using the installer.

This is happening booting the computer itself. I have no video even if I try what you suggested.

Also If I try to use the Installation from the USB the same thing happens, otherwise I would wipe the hard drive and start all over.

Also If I try to use the Installation from the USB the same thing happens, otherwise I would wipe the hard drive and start all over.

Post EFI/Clover folder from USB (omit themes).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back