Gigabyte GTX 560 ti
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello Everyone,

Please read before bailing on the thread...I'm aware that OSX won't install to an Intel softraid array. Thanks in advance for any help!

I'm attempting to install Mountain Lion on my DV6t-7000 Quad but I'm stuck in disk utility because it doesn't see my drives. I'm fairly sure that it's because the controller is in RAID mode and there is no option in the BIOS to change it to AHCI. None of my drives are part of an array. In other words, they are behind the RAID controller but not actually part of any RAID setup.

I remember making this work some time ago with a desktop Gigabyte board (snow leopard I think)...I had windows installed on an Intel RAID-0 setup and OSX on a separate drive behind the RAID controller but not actually part of an array. It involved modifying one of the IOfamily kexts but it was tricky enough at the time and I've lost the instructions.

Has anyone had any success in a situation like this? Thanks!

My setup FYI...
mSATA Port -- Crucial m4 256GB SSD (Windows)
2.5 Bay -- 1TB Hard Drive (Data)
CD Bay Caddy -- OCZ Solid 3 120GB SSD (Attempting OSX Here)

Quasi, So RAID cards can be really tricky and to be honest I am not familiar with that particular setup. That said if it is a true hardware RAID and there doesn't exist drivers for that chipset you are probably boned. That said I have seen some hardware RAID cards that you can setup to act just like a SATA controller. For the RAID card BIOS do you see any other options in there? I assume the RAID card has its own independent BIOS separate from your Mobo's.

Mark

Thanks Mark,

It's the Intel RAID controller like you'd find in virtually any modern laptop or board with an Intel chipset. It's not true hardware RAID. But I think you are right that it is a driver issue. I need a kext that will allow me to see drives behind the Intel controller when it's set in RAID mode. Again, I realize that OSX won't install to an actual array but (if I remember correctly) it will allow me to install to a standalone drive.

As an aside, this is increasingly going to be a problem for intel based laptops. Any laptop that comes with an mSATA cache will have their Intel controller set in RAID mode by default. Unless the BIOS exposes the controller settings and allows you to change it to AHCI (many consumer laptops don't) then this is where everyone will end up.

Thanks,

Josh

Also just to clarify you can install Mac OS X to a RAID volume just fine. It just needs to be a compatible RAID controller. For instance something like a Highpoint card, Areca, LSI, etc. Essentially if the card allows booting on a real Mac it should work just fine on a hackintosh.

Having the same problem on my HP dv6t - 7000 select edition. i did find a RAID kext (If i can find where i downloaded it ill link you to it) but i couldnt get it to work.
@Einsteiniac i read that too, but it doesnt seem to support the intel raid controller unfortunately

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back