i9-9900K
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi there, I am wondering if I will run into any issues with this build. I see there are a number of builds where people got the 7700k working just fine. I am upgrading from a 4790k so I wanted to go to the latest generation if possible to future proof.

Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Gigabyte GA-Z270MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Samsung 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Asus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB STRIX GAMING Video Card
Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case
Corsair RMx 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Will work with 10.12.6 , no Fake CPU ID will be needed. Looks like a powerful system. Just make sure everything will fit into the V21 case. Especially the PSU and Gfx card. The cable mgt. is always the hardest part of the build.

Will work with 10.12.6 , no Fake CPU ID will be needed. Looks like a powerful system. Just make sure everything will fit into the V21 case. Especially the PSU and Gfx card. The cable mgt. is always the hardest part of the build.

Thanks for the reply! I went ahead and ordered everything. You think I will run into any issues partitioning the NVMe drive to dual boot both systems? I have two 500GB SSD's for work files/games that I will use for storage.

Thanks for the reply! I went ahead and ordered everything. You think I will run into any issues partitioning the NVMe drive to dual boot both systems? I have two 500GB SSD's for work files/games that I will use for storage.
I've never attempted that. I always dual boot on separate drives. You could read over Going Bald's guide and then post in that thread with questions. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-multibooting-uefi.197352/

The fact that the NVME drive needs it's own SSDT makes it more complicated than installing on a sata SSD.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...h-ionvmefamily-using-class-code-spoof.210316/

Let me know how it works out! I'm also ordering similar components as you.
Haven't researched much about the Gaming 5 mobo yet, i'm hoping to run 2 x Samsung 950 SSD's on NVMe - one for each OS (win10, macOS).

I've seen some info that the Gaming 5 shares M2 slot with 3rd PCI-e, while the K5 shares the PCI-e 3rd slot with PCI-e 2nd. Also the K5 has 3 rear USB input ports, while regular 5 has 4.

Is there any other differences between the two? K5 is around 30$ cheaper in my Country.

You are looking at ATX boards, I am buying a mATX board. You can go to Gigabyte's website and select both the Gaming 5 and the K5 and compare, it will bring up a list of all specs side by side.

I really wanted to do two NVMe drives but the smaller form factor won out in my list of essentials for this build.

Ah, I see - but can't you have both mATX and NVMe drives? That's what I want to build. I'll do some research tonight and try to come up with something.

Yes, you can, I want two though. I actually found the ASUS PRIME Z270M-PLUS that has dual M.2 slots. I am now realizing though that the ASUS STRIX 1080ti probably won't fit either of these boards with the added wifi card that needs to go in the PCIEX4 slot. I might have to go back to the drawing board on this one. I'm also tempted to hold out and see if there is any hope of X299 support before the end of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back