i5-10500
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
You've probably heard about the current feud between Tim Cook and Mark Zuckerberg. It's related to FB's practice of cross site and cross app tracking. If you sign in to FB and then go other places online FB collects data on wherever you go, whatever you do. This helps them profile you when you use FB or other apps/companies they have bought and now operate, such as Instagram and Whatsapp.

So how to stop FB even before Apple does this in the near future ? It's really easy. Install and use Firefox browser. Then install the FF Facebook container extension. This prevents FB from tracking you everywhere you go online. They only get info about what you do on their sites. It also works with Instagram and Whatsapp.

Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 9.02.52 PM.png

Here you can see Instagram is also inside the FB container. Note the fence in the address bar.

Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 9.11.27 PM.png

In the privacy settings section in FF you should also set it to Strict to protect your privacy everywhere you go online.

Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 9.03.54 PM.png

Last edited:
We all know that Google is the biggest offender when it comes to tracking you everywhere you go online.
Here's what DuckDuckGo privacy essentials is telling me.
Screen Shot 2.jpg

So when you use FireFox and DuckDuckGo as your search engine, that eliminates much of the Google profiling. If you do have to use Google Search you have the option to put that into a container as well. There is another extension you can add to your FF browser. You have to set this up manually. Search on YT for videos showing you how to do this.

Screen Shot 3.jpg

You can search with Google but keep them from tracking you all the places you go to after clicking on a link.

Last edited:
I use brave browser instead of Firefox.

Look at what happened when reading this article about Google tracking web searches..

Screen Shot 15.jpg

The best way to stop Facebook from tracking you is to not use it. I never have and never will use it.

Google will continue to be Google. That's the way it works in Silicon valley these days. They've made billions in profits from online ads and data collection and will continue along that path.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back