Contribute
Register

how to install kext into another system disk using terminal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z270XP-SLI
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
What are the terminal commands to install a kext into a non-working Sierra system other than the one I'm booted from?

In this case, I actually need to 'refresh' the kext, as the Security Update 2017-001 seems to have messed with it in some fashion - but I'd certainly like to know the 'correct' method to install and remove kexts.

Would it be something like?
sudo kextunload Different_HD/System/Library/Extensions/kext.kext
sudo kextload Different_HD/System/Library/Extensions/kext.kext

Are any of the commands like:
sudo chmod -R 755 name.kext
sudo chown -R root:wheel name.kext

or commands to clear the kernel cache needed with Sierra - or is that just for older OS X versions"?

BTW - I'm not sure about the syntax to use another drive, as it's no doubt different from Different_HD/?

Or - could I use the kexts/10.12 folder and let Clover install (or update) the kext? Will Clover update a kext of the same name?

In this case, I replaced the 10.12 NVDAStartup.kext with a 10.11 version - and it worked perfectly until the security update. I just read a post that really made sense about Never installing hackintosh kexts into /S/L/E/ but rather keep the install as 'Vanilla' as possible, and let Clover inject the kexts into OS X.

So, if Clover will update a kext of the same name, this seems preferable to ever installing them in the first place? I'll take a slight hit on loading time, but ... I'll gain stability!!

Last edited:
My 960 Pro drive won't boot after the 'Security Update', so I'm trying to find a safe way to modify kexts on a system drive other than the one I'm booted up on. Safe mode also crashes, so ... I need to apply the fixes while booted up from another drive.

Anyone have the syntax I'd use to do this using terminal, which would seem to be the safest method (and not require a 3rd party tool that I can't verify is safe)?

So, while booted up from drive 'B', I'd like to modify the kexts on drive 'A'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back