Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Since there isn't really a good cut and dry guide on how to install a GTX 580 in Lion, I'm going to do so now.

First thing I have to recommend though is two things that would have been helpful for me to know when doing this install.

1.) using PCIRoodUID=1 disables high resolutions once you have booted. So when people are telling you to try and boot using this command, you may be confused if it DOES boot and you still do not have high resolutions. Its because it makes your system default back to thinking the card can't do it. Think if it as a SAFE MODE for your GPU. This can be helpful though if you screw up the install process and need to at least boot into 1024x768 mode to fix things. This info may not be 100% accurate since I am not a coder of any stretch, but just something that I took notice after working on getting this system up after 50+ hours of tinkering.

2.) npci=0x2000 boot command that you use in Chimera just like PCIRootUID=1 seemed to disallow high resolutions for me once I did get it booted leaving me confused once again.

3.) Multibeast has a program you can install from it called KextHelper. This is used if you have a kext that needs to be manually placed in you folders somewhere. KextHelper lets you simply drag the kext into it and it automatically knows where to place it so you don't have to worry about finding the location of that file on your hard drive.

4.)This one was one I should have payed attention to but for some reason didn't and very well could have been the reason why I was having so many troubles. EVERY time you install a next, before you restart to check if it worked, open up Multibeast and click the option System Utilities and then Repair Caches. Its a must before you restart, this lets the rest of the OS what changes you made and where.

Ok to start off the guide my setup was as follows.
Asus Sabertooth x58 mobo (defiantly one of the biggest pains in the Lion install process)
core i7 950 cpu
PNY GTX 580
EVGA GTX 580 (yes I have both cards in the system at one time, only ONE runs)
6gb 1600 DDR3 ram
2 TB main drive
120 GB OCZ Agility SSD

The first trick will be to get your system to boot with no ALTERED next or drivers or .plists. Just put the card in the system if it isn't already and turn it on. If it won't boot, try a few commands from inside Chimera such as PCIRootUID=1, npci=0x2000, or just safe boot with -x. Try one at a time first before you combine them as to eliminate which area you are having an issue with. Usually if you can't get the system to boot unless you use -x, that means that you have an issue with the rest of the system install, NOT the GPU not being recognized. Make sure you have a good working DSDT for you mono, if you don't sometimes a bad DSDT won't recognize the PCI slot itself and then no matter what card you put in there it will Kernal Panic (not boot). TonyMac has a good database of DSDT's for a lot of popular and less popular mobo's on their site.

Second. Once the system is booted you are going to be doing three parts.
I.) Altering your NVDAGF100Hal file. (the next that manages Nvidia cards)
II.) Editing your com.apple.boot.plist file (the boot file that manages the settings for booting up)
III.) There are a couple other things we can try if doing these two simple steps don't work for you completely.

lets begin...

1.) Locate your NVDAGF100Hal file. This can be found on your Lion installed driver under System/Library/Extensions/NVDAGF100Hal.kext . Should be closer to the bottom of the page.
2.) Right Click it and select "show package contents"
3.) Open up the Contents folder
4.) open Info.plist
5.) If you are using a GTX 580 then the following ID is will be entered. If you using a different 5xx card, you need to find out what the card id is and you will use that one.
6.) Near the bottom of the info.plist file there will be a bunch of numbers that look like this : <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>com.apple.nvidia.nvGF100hal</string>
<key>IOClass</key>
<string>NVDAGF100HAL</string>
<key>IOMatchCategory</key>
<string>IOService</string>
<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
<string>
0x06c010de&amp;0xffe0ffff
0x0dc010de&amp;0xffc0ffff
0x0e2010de&amp;0xffe0ffff
0x0ee010de&amp;0xffe0ffff
0x0f0010de&amp;0xffc0ffff
0x104010de&amp;0xffc0ffff
0x124010de&amp;0xffc0ffff
</string>
<key>IOProbeScore</key>
<integer>60000</integer>
<key>IOProviderClass</key>
<string>IOPCIDevice</string>
7.) We will be entering a code in the middle of this . Using your GTX 580 device id you will enter is here and should look like this when you are done exactly.
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>com.apple.nvidia.nvGF100hal</string>
<key>IOClass</key>
<string>NVDAGF100HAL</string>
<key>IOMatchCategory</key>
<string>IOService</string>
<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
<string>
0x06c010de&amp;0xffe0ffff
0x0dc010de&amp;0xffc0ffff
0x0e2010de&amp;0xffe0ffff
0x0ee010de&amp;0xffe0ffff
0x0f0010de&amp;0xffc0ffff
0x104010de&amp;0xffc0ffff
0x124010de&amp;0xffc0ffff
0x108010de&amp;0xffe0ffff this is the device id you enter
</string>
<key>IOProbeScore</key>
<integer>60000</integer>
<key>IOProviderClass</key>
<string>IOPCIDevice</string>
8.) If while editing this it has asked you to create a duplicate, do so and simply edit it this way and drag it back to this location replacing the old file.
9.) We are now done with this file. On to the SECOND PART

Part II
1.) Navigate to your com.apple.boot.plist file. This can be located by opening up you main Lion installed driver and selecting Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist .
2.) It might ask you to duplicate like the last file do so and just replace again.
3.) The only thing you we need to do here is tell the computer to engage the GPU on boot. Now that the computer recognizes what gnu it is (thats what we did in the last part) it will know how to engage it. It will look like this BEFORE it is edited. :
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=i386</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>

then we add this :
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=i386</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string></string>

Then just save and that should be all we have to do.
4.) Now that that is finished, open up Multibeast and only click repair caches and permissions and let it do its thing. Once finished close Multibeast
5.) You can now restart your machine.

Part III
1.) If all went well you should now have a bootable full resolution GTX 580. QE/Ui might not be working yet, that is fine the steps to get those working are not in this guide because they are not complicated and installing them should not cause your system to KP.
2.) Don't forget that if you have to use PCIRootUID=1 or npci=0x2000 or -x to boot you probably won't see your max resolution because you are telling your computer to not engage the gnu in the way you have it set up to work.
3.) If you are still having issues, using KextHelper to install GeforeGLDriver.bundle might help. (This can be found easily on the internet by searching its name associated with Lion Hackintosh install.

Finish

Some things I need to point out.
a.) I am using a system that has two GTX 580's in it in SLI configuration. Lion will not boot the system if both cards are connected. To boot you must disconnect one of them (sli bridge and power) and then boot. You can reconnect it again after you get it booted it won't cause any problems while the system is running.
b.) I have not gotten QE/Ui to work yet not because I can't but because I focused simply on getting to system to boot without error and then posted this guide. There are plenty of guides on how to get CUDA and QE/Ui to work they are fairly simple.

Hopefully this helps out those of you having issues. If you need any more help feel free to ask questions since I could have easily bypassed a step that could help you if you are stuck, I was at this for awhile after all.

I have since re added the Graphics Mode string after it somehow erased itself and it enabled full acceleration.

Thanks for the instructions, they worked for me with the same results.

However, it's pretty annoying to have to unplug one card to use OSX, or plug in the card for gaming on PC. Is it at all possible to have both cards plugged in (even without the SLI bridge) and have the system boot? I seem to recall having two cards in a hackintosh machine before.

Getting it to work with both cards, even without SLI, would be awesome.

*EDIT* Dual GTX580 working in hackintosh!

I used this guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8660

I followed the steps 2 through 6, and the only changes I made were to modify the in.plist file so that VRAM,totalsize is 0xC0000000 (my cards have 3072MB), renamed GTX 470 to GTX 580, and replaced the ROM revision ID with what I copied from my System Information output. I'm not sure if those last two are really needed. Hooked up sli bridge and plugged in the 2nd card and viola.

Hi there, I followed the basic instructions listed and consistently get a KP while trying to load up Lion. However, when I trying booting up with -V, I am able to load my OS, and my GTX 580 seems to work fine.

Its weird and I cannot figure out what is wrong and how -V would have made a difference.

Thank you for this guide. Thanks for the laymen terms at the beginning too. I read all 39 pages of the test thread and some stuff confused me. Getting my 570 in Thursday to try this.

Basically used these steps and got my GTX 570 running super easily, thanks for this thread. I posted in the [TEST] thread but my cinebench FPS openGL was 45.xx not bad for OSX.

I updated to 10.7.1 which broke my graphics ofc.
Got it working again by reapplying the Info.plist edits in NVDAGFHAL100.
But now i still got issues with VLC Player playing mp4 and other file formats aswell as flash-videos in browsers.
Unstable imagery (sound works nicely) and system is more unstable...
Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back