Contribute
Register

How to enable 5.1-channel analogue audio in OS X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: How to enable 5.1-channel analogue audio in OS X

Hello.

YES..! i using the drivers provide for MULTIBEAST 5.0 and work only stereo, but you can make your settings you indicate in this tutorial..

I get only stereo and not 5.1 or activate any other

thanks..

Well, do you have more than one set of outputs showing? If not, then it's most likely an issue with your board/DSDT or the modified UEFI if you're using one. I don't have an Asus board to test with, sorry.

I'm thinking I like this idea as well and it's cheap:

http://legacy.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=36818

I like the Logitech idea, however I believe there are very few "computer speakers" with that capability. I'm sure I can run these channels to my home theater system from the computer. There are a lot of them out there for <$300.

Thanks for the info, I'm pretty clear on it now after looking around the web and finding some pro info on running multichannel sound from a computer and how it all works.

Working great on my system. One problem, I no longer can control the volume from the volume keys on my keyboard. Is that a known issue? Is there a fix?

Thanks

Hello,
Where i find proper kexts for ALC889a.
Where i find this panel?

As it says in the third paragraph "Head over the Utilities folder and start the Audio Midi Setup utility"

Go to the dock on your computer and select 'Launchpad', then 'Other' and finally 'Audio Midi Setup'

Any problems, then just reply back, :thumbup:

Adrian B

Cannot get this to work on 10.8.5 ML.. No matter what I try all other options but stereo stay greyed out.

My stereo sound is working fine btw.

It worked with me using ALC889 Kext from Multibeast. I get 5.1 sound on 5.1 movies and 5.1 Logitech speakers. Music is stereo though.
Sound is not crisp and clean as in windows, but it works and it's enough.

I didn't change the default sounds, alerts and effects to the aggregated device just to keep having the volume control icon working through out the system. But I chose aggregated device for sound output in VLC, which I use for watching 5.1 movies. Fair enough.
Thank you indeed.

Ok so I know that I am a little late to the game, but here is my question. I have a GA-P55a-UD3 motherboard that I just got audio working. I am now looking into getting it to run on my 5.1 surround sound system. My 5.1 system uses three cables to connect to my computer. The colors are green, black. and some yellow/orange/peach color (i do not know if this is standard, first surround sound). On windows (system is dual boot), the sub-woofer, center, and rear speakers have more volume and the bass works on the sub-woofer, but with the set up I have now, no such luck. I can hardly tell that the rear and center are working or not, and the sub-woofer has no boom. I was just wondering if there is anything I can do to get this to work. Thank you for your time.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-01-10 at 9.46.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-01-10 at 9.46.23 PM.png
    63.4 KB · Views: 187
  • Screen Shot 2014-01-10 at 9.46.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-01-10 at 9.46.32 PM.png
    148.2 KB · Views: 244
2 things:

First, unless you're listening to actual real 5.1 audio, you might be happier with a multi-output device instead of an aggregate device. That way it mirrors to all speakers - including the subwoofer. It is set up the same.

Second, there is an AudioSwitcher app in the app store which can provide device-level volume control on the menu bar. The volume buttons themselves still fail, but this is better than nothing. https://itunes.apple.com/pk/app/audioswitcher/id561712678?mt=12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back