Contribute
Register

How to Create a macOS Sierra Public Beta Installation USB

When the Gold Master is released, will there be a simple guide with appropriate tools (e.g. Multi Beast) to upgrade from El Capitan to Sierra? I love the current El Capitan guide plus associated tools and wonder if there will be the equivalent done when the Gold Master is released? The current Sierra guide, given that its beta, looks more difficult to follow and there are a lack of tools such as multibeast for it at the moment (which I get because its beta) - hence my question...
Of course :clap:

@Going Bald i have done exactly what you said and i cant boot from the HDD still. When i choose the HDD on the boot screen bios it showsme a message saying Reboot and select proper boot device....

You may know whats happening??? Im going crazy. Thanks.

@Going Bald i have done exactly what you said and i cant boot from the HDD still. When i choose the HDD on the boot screen bios it showsme a message saying Reboot and select proper boot device....

You may know whats happening??? Im going crazy. Thanks.
Then you do not have the boot loader installed to the HDD/SSD yet. Try installing Clover again.

Having trouble making an installer USB. I've followed the directions exactly but when I restart the computer, Clover (v2.3 r3625) does not recognize the USB as a valid boot drive. (See attached picture). There's no Apple icon and if I choose it, I get a O with a line across it.

I tried setting the BIOS to boot from the USB drive as the first device but no luck there. Just a Panic message.

Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3
Intel Core I7
16 GB memory

Attachments

• Last Import - 1 of 3.jpg
    Last Import - 1 of 3.jpg
    550 KB · Views: 313
  • Last Import - 1 of 1.jpg
    Last Import - 1 of 1.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 286
This version of OS X 10.12 cannot be installed on this computer

Help!
Use the iMac14,2 System Definition. You are using a System Definition that has been discontinued for Sierra.

Hey guys, So I'm having a problem trying to do the install from this usb, and it's weird. I've read all the pages here, and after some work I was able to create a bootable drive. However when I boot, it doesn't go to installer, it goes to some sort of recovery window, offering me restore from time machine, reinstall os, and disk utility. I can use disk utility to format the partition for Sierra (was planning on leaving EC installed to dual boot). When I click on reinstall it brings me to a screen that looks like the normal install screen, but when I click the arrow, it tells me that it will verify my install with Apple...Ok I got the beta legitimately...I can click on cancel or continue. Either one just closes that window and doesn't do anything I'm currently installing into a sandbox partition with the installer from within EC.

Is this because the installer detected a used partition or some other weird error?

*edit* So it looks like the installer that did run just placed a macos install data folder and nothing else. Now I'm really confused lol

**Ok so ignore me. I tried a few more times remaking the usb and even making one from the installer itself. I don't know what is different this time, but the usb installer is, well, installing as we speak. SMH I have no idea what I did lol

Last edited:
Having trouble making an installer USB. I've followed the directions exactly but when I restart the computer, Clover (v2.3 r3625) does not recognize the USB as a valid boot drive. (See attached picture). There's no Apple icon and if I choose it, I get a O with a line across it.

I tried setting the BIOS to boot from the USB drive as the first device but no luck there. Just a Panic message.

Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3
Intel Core I7
16 GB memory

Update: Successful install. The computer has three separate hard drives in it. The drive I wanted to install Sierra on was the 3rd SATA drive. When I disconnected the first two, the installer ran flawlessly.

The only problem now is that in order to boot Sierra, I need to disconnect the other drives that contain the applications and data. Any ideas would be helpful.

Here's a quick guide to create a macOS Sierra 10.12 Public Beta Installation USB using Clover. Please note, this guide is not universal, and may not work for all systems.​

STEP 1: Download macOS Sierra Public Beta

1. Enroll in the Free Apple Beta Software Program
2. Open Mac App Store
3. Log in with your Apple ID
4. Redeem code
4. Download macOS Sierra Public Beta

The Application Install macOS Sierra Public Beta will appear in /Applications.

STEP 2: Prepare Bootable USB Drive
This step extracts the Installer contents, then installs Clover bootloader to the USB stick.

1. Insert the USB drive
2. Open /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility
3. Highlight the USB drive in left column
4. Click on the Partition tab
5. Click Current and choose 1 Partition
6. Click Options...
7. Choose GUID Partition Table
8. Under Name: type USB (You can rename it later)
9. Under Format: choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
10. Click Apply then Partition
11. Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal
12. Type the following, enter password and hit enter. This command completely erases the USB, then creates native installer media from the Install 10.12 Public Beta Application.

Code:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra\ Public\ Beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra\ Public\ Beta.app --nointeraction

Upon completion, the USB will be renamed Install macOS Sierra Public Beta.

13. Download the latest version of Clover from sourceforge
14. Open Clover package installer
15. Hit Continue, Continue, Change Install Location...
16. Choose the USB, now called Install macOS Sierra Public Beta
17. Hit Customize and install Clover to the same USB using one of the following examples:

View attachment 202214
(UEFI Mode)

View attachment 202213
(Legacy Mode)​

18. Navigate to /EFI/CLOVER/ and replace default config.plist with one of the attached config.plist examples.
19. Navigate to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other/ and add FakeSMC.kext
20. (Optional) Navigate to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other/ and add your ethernet kext
21. (Optional) Navigate to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other/ and add NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

Your Clover Installation USB is now finished.

For post installation instructions and screenshots, please see
http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/u...apitan-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.172672

Clover Developers:
Slice, with help of Kabyl, usr-sse2, jadran, Blackosx, dmazar, STLVNUB, pcj, apianti, JrCs, pene, FrodoKenny, skoczy, ycr.ru, Oscar09, xsmile, SoThOr…

Source code credits:
Intel, Apple, Oracle, Chameleon, rEFIt and Xom.

Official Clover Links:
Sourceforge: Clover
Clover Wiki
Clover Configurator

Config.plist Examples

This doesnt seem to work for me. in terminal I get an error after i enter my password.
after i enter my passwork it says "Segmentation fault".

wuWQ7tah.jpg

I get this error while upgrading to macOS Sierra. My Clover bootloader is configured correctly.

I just connected my USB wifi dongle to my laptop that's it! :)

Back