Contribute
Register

How to Create a macOS Mojave Public Beta Installation USB

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have a spare drive and a USB to Sata adapter or USB external drive setup you could try a direct install instead of a USB installer. Using a USB drive it installs in HFS mode instead of apfs.

Also, did you name your USB untitled? Maybe try renaming it USB and run command again.
I did try different USB drives under different names so there's that.
My main suspicion is the binary not properly reading my hack's macOS version for some reason so I'm going to try this again on my fresh HP laptop hack (see signature. SOOO damn proud of it). If it doesn't work on it too I'm going to start raising some question marks.

I did try different USB drives under different names so there's that.
My main suspicion is the binary not properly reading my hack's macOS version for some reason so I'm going to try this again on my fresh HP laptop hack (see signature. SOOO damn proud of it). If it doesn't work on it too I'm going to start raising some question marks.

Did you try to bypass the USB installer? Just load onto a drive either internally or with an external USB drive?

Did you try to bypass the USB installer? Just load onto a drive either internally or with an external USB drive?
If you don't mind me asking
How would you do that?
Also why would you do that?

If you don't mind me asking
How would you do that?
Put an SSD or HDD into an external USB to SATA enclosure.
Create your USB installer.
Remove the SSD/HDD from the enclosure and connect to an internal SATA port.
Install from the SATA installer.

Also why would you do that?
It overcomes problems that some people experience with USB during installation.
Note that the install partition must be 32GB or less, I keep some 16GB SSDs for this purpose.

Put an SSD or HDD into an external USB to SATA enclosure.
Create your USB installer.
Remove the SSD/HDD from the enclosure and connect to an internal SATA port.
Install from the SATA installer.

It overcomes problems that some people experience with USB during installation.
Note that the install partition must be 32GB or less, I keep some 16GB SSDs for this purpose.

hmmm. Actually I'll keep this in mind, it sounds like a great idea in the future
But since it's a laptop I'm trying to install Mojave on, this seems a bit.... over the top not to say impractical removing its drive for this purpose.(it could help by replacing the dvd drive with a caddy and spare hdd)
Anyway it's the "create your USB installer" phase I'm stuck on. createinstallmedia gives me the macOS version too low error (see previous post for exact output), I don't see how using an hdd would impact it since it's not starting at all.
Or are we talking about entirely different software here?

hmmm. Actually I'll keep this in mind, it sounds like a great idea in the future
But since it's a laptop I'm trying to install Mojave on, this seems a bit.... over the top not to say impractical removing its drive for this purpose.(it could help by replacing the dvd drive with a caddy and spare hdd)
Anyway it's the "create your USB installer" phase I'm stuck on. createinstallmedia gives me the macOS version too low error (see previous post for exact output), I don't see how using an hdd would impact it since it's not starting at all.
Or are we talking about entirely different software here?

If you have the 5.7GB Mojave file on a working Mac or Hack you can just open it and load it on an external USB to Sata adapter or external drive enclosure. It will directly install Mojave to the new disk. This completely removes the createinstallmedia from the equation. It is not necessary to use a USB installer if you have the downloaded installer (Mojave) from the App Store and a working Mac or hack.

It is nice to have a Usb installer but it is not necessary if you have the file and a disk that you can connect to load the software on. Its the same thing but it eliminates a step of the process. Once Mojave is loads on the disk you can then add Clover for a boot loader.

Last edited:
If you have the 5.7GB Mojave file on a working Mac or Hack you can just open it and load it on an external USB to Sata adapter or external drive enclosure. It will directly install Mojave to the new disk. This completely removes the createinstallmedia from the equation. It is not necessary to use a USB installer if you have the downloaded installer (Mojave) from the App Store and a working Mac or hack.

It is nice to have a Usb installer but it is not necessary if you have the file and a disk that you can connect to load the software on. Its the same thing but it eliminates a step of the process. Once Mojave is loads on the disk you can then add Clover for a boot loader.

Aaahhhhh I totally get it now. Thanks so much.
I'l actually try this.

I solved the problem of creating a usb with this string: sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Mojave\ Beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/usb && echo Mojave Drive Create

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back