Contribute
Register

How to connect my Dell monitor (DisplayPort) to my new mac pro (Thunderbolt 2)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello guys. I know this is a very lame question and I don't want to make a case out of this... I just want to connect my Dell u2211h DisplayPort (NOT MINI) to the new mac pro (Thunderbolt 2 output).

I've also read the FAQ at apple but is not helpful at all. So, let's get to the point:

Do I need an adapter and also a cable? Or there is a cable-only solution?

1. If I need to use an adapter: Do the adapter should be attached directly to the mac pro thunderbolt output, or should it be attached directly to the DisplayPort in my monitor? In one case I would need to use a thunderbolt 2 cable, in the other a displayPort cable... what would you do?

2. If i can use a cable-only solution I was thinking of using a Mini DisplayPort to Displayport cable, this is to connect the Mini DisplayPort side to the mac pro thunderbolt output, and the other side (DisplayPort directly into my Monitor input... is that possible?

I feel like i'm missing something, oh, Ideally i'd want to go with the less intrusive and degrading path.

PS: My display also has a DVI input, but i guess that Thunderbolt to DisplayPort would be a more smoothly transition...

Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back