Contribute
Register

How to Configure 4K Resolution for an Optiplex 3090 MFF ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
the highest resolution i could get is 1080P...is there a way to achieve the 4k resolution...here is my efi please help
You didn't make the suggested changes to get 4K working. Try the attached. (Don't forget to re-add your rig's information)

"To get 4K to work, you need to change Device Properties (DP) and copy the settings you see in the attached screenshot."

Attachments

• Dell optiflex 3070 EFI-32223-4K.zip
    16.9 MB · Views: 63
You didn't make the suggested changes to get 4K working. Try the attached. (Don't forget to re-add your rig's information)

"To get 4K to work, you need to change Device Properties (DP) and copy the settings you see in the attached screenshot."
i used the device properties setting as attached after boot up black screen please help

i used the device properties setting as attached after boot up black screen please help
Not sure what else you can try. The settings I used worked for me. Note that I was using a different processor than yours.

This issue took me a while to figure out and I had to look all over the place.

At least you have 1080p working....

You could try removing line 3 (which my config doesn't have). It shouldn't matter though as it deactivated the external GPU which you shouldn't be using as it is unsupported. (NVIDIA GeForce MX150)

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-23 at 9.02.37 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-23 at 9.02.37 AM.png
    301 KB · Views: 37
What is your DVMT setting? Is it at least 64MB?

I did not have the right command for DVMT modification: this is the obstacle prevented 4K. The DVMT_offset for the Optiplex Micro 3090 is 0xF5:

IT IS PROBABLY NOT THE SAME FOR YOUR 3070 MOTHERBOARD

WARNING: Be certain you are using the right offset for your particular motherboard

After I used modgrubshell to set DVMT and remove framebuffer patches, 4K started to work!

Screen Shot 2023-03-24 at 4.43.54 PM.png

WARNING: Be certain you are using the right offset for your particular motherboard. My motherboard uses 0xF5

From modgrubshell.efi (tool):

DVMT: read one byte from offset=0xF5:

setup_var_cv SaSetup 0xF5 0x01

DVMT: write one byte of 0x02:

setup_var_cv SaSetup 0xF5 0x01 0x02

* If I recall, 0x02 sets DVMT to 64MB, which enables 4K.
* Remove the framebuffer limits in your config.plist.
* Let us know if you are successful?

DVMT Offset = 0x8DC : Optiplex 3070 Micro
=====================

Other do not use modgrubshell.efi:

Based on: https://github.com/bfrorum10/DELL_OptiPlex_3070_macOS_Monterey_OpenCore-0.7.9-and-macOS-12.3-21E230

While you are there you should unlock CFG-Lock

PLEASE CONSIDER POSING ALL FUTURE QUESTIONS REGARDING YOUR 3070 TO ITS OWN THREAD.

Last edited:
@gatorback - Sorry about that. I tried uploading my EFI but it must not have worked. Hopefully it will work this time.

To get 4K to work, you need to change Device Properties (DP) and copy the settings you see in the attached screenshot.

The what and why I believe are that these settings create the correct memory set-asides for 4k to work.

Take a look at my EFI. There are 2 configs. One for an external display, and the other one is for 4K. Look at the one that says 4K.

Let me know if you need further explanation.
Thank you for your response. I was able to unlock 4K by increasing DVMT TO 64MB and removing the framebuffer patches. See my previous post for details on how to do this from the modgrubshell.efi tool

Thank you for your response. I was able to unlock 4K by increasing DVMT TO 64MB and removing the framebuffer patches. See my previous post for details on how to do this from the modgrubshell.efi tool
It seems like there are two possible ways to get 4K to work. Much better than the "zero" solutions we had before!

how about problem in sleep wake?

how about problem in sleep wake?
I will confess that I moved to a different graphics card as my monitor is 5k (?). The computer in question is running as a PC with a very simple monitor.

I was able to get 4K and I don't remember having sleep/ wake issues.

i am using 4k lg monitor

I will confess that I moved to a different graphics card as my monitor is 5k (?). The computer in question is running as a PC with a very simple monitor.

I was able to get 4K and I don't remember having sleep/ wake issues.
@dss862 In the nicest tone possible: I suggest that you start a new post. Describe your problem, system and what you have done. I would not expect any meaningful assistance if I posted a "one-liner".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back