Contribute
Register

How to Configure 4K Resolution for an Optiplex 3090 MFF ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell Optiplex 3090 i3 MFF
CPU
i3-10105T
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
BACKGROUND: An Optiplex 3090 MFF iGPU-HD630 is outfitted with Monterey \ Opencore REL-077-2022-01-10:

The Optiplex is connected with a 4K DisplayPort cable to a 4K monitor.

ISSUE: the higher resolution is 2560X1440.

QUESTION: What can be done to configure 4K display output?

UPDATE: A Windows-10 SSD was booted in the Optiplex 3090: it automatically detected and configured the 4K monitor for 3840X2160 (4K) resolution. If only Monterey could do the same... and deliver from Displayport to HDMI.

Last edited:
You need to configure the bios so that DVMT is 64MB or higher. Some bioses give the option, some you have to find and set the variable using ru or modified efi shell.

Some bioses give the option, some you have to find and set the variable using ru or modified efi shell.
The latter is true for every Dell I've ever owned. The DVMT BIOS setting is hidden from the BIOS GUI.

Last edited:
Here's the directions for how to extract the BIOS and find the DVMT variable so you can modify it.
If you want 64MB for the DVMT pre-allocation then set it to 0x02.

Attachments

• bios_tools.zip
    15.8 MB · Views: 54
Glad that there is a remedy: increase BIOS parameter DVMT.

* Any guidance for choosing a optimal setting (64MB vs 128MB) is appreciated. I expect a 32GB RAM chip for the system tomorrow

* " find and set the variable using ru or modified efi shell" What is "ru"? What is a modified efi shell?

From the Optiplex 3090:

1) outfitted with a Windows 10 SSD
2) Downloaded JimLee1996's BIOS tools (click here) from GitHub
3) via Windows OS: BIOS_Backup_TooKit.exe to fetch BIOS rom

Step 3 produced a 16MB ROM file (attached)

4) ./ifrextract 3090MFF_BIN.bin output.txt returns:

Input: 3090MFF_BIN.bin​
Output: output.txt​
Protocol: UNKNOWN​
error: Unknown protocol​

ROM viewer (UEFI Tool) crashes when opening attached ROM file.

Have I provided enough for senior members to diagnose the cause of the crash? Is there a problem with Step 3? Grateful for the support and helpful responses.

Attachments

• 3090MFF_BIN.zip
    8.1 MB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Is a change to config.plist a possible remedy to the 4K problem? I ask because it seems less risky to mod the config.plist vs. patching the BIOS.

Last edited:
Is a change to config.plist a remedy to the 4K problem? I ask because it seems less risky to mod the config.plist vs. patching the BIOS.
There's no BIOS patching involved. All you're doing is discovering a hidden BIOS setting, then changing it via ModGRUBShell.efi. Really very minimal risk involved. Have you ever changed a BIOS setting such as Legacy to UEFI ? It's really no different to change DVMT 32MB to 64MB. Why Dell had to hide that option from view, we'll never know.

Glad that there is a remedy: increase BIOS parameter DVMT.

* Any guidance for choosing a optimal setting (64MB vs 128MB) is appreciated. I expect a 32GB RAM chip for the system tomorrow

* " find and set the variable using ru or modified efi shell" What is "ru"? What is a modified efi shell?

From the Optiplex 3090:

1) outfitted with a Windows 10 SSD
2) Downloaded JimLee1996's BIOS tools (click here) from GitHub
3) via Windows OS: BIOS_Backup_TooKit.exe to fetch BIOS rom

Step 3 produced a 16MB ROM file (attached)

4) ./ifrextract 3090MFF_BIN.bin output.txt returns:

Input: 3090MFF_BIN.bin​
Output: output.txt​
Protocol: UNKNOWN​
error: Unknown protocol​

ROM viewer (UEFI Tool) crashes when opening attached ROM file.

Have I provided enough for senior members to diagnose the cause of the crash? Is there a problem with Step 3? Grateful for the support and helpful responses.
Have a look at this post by Craig H. He was able to figure this out. It's always rather fiddly for beginners. As expected. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...600-integrated-gpu.282589/page-5#post-1999339

Also this post by nicksoph is a good description of the process. I always use a DVMT value of 64MB instead of 96. Works perfectly with my Dell machines. Really no advantage to set it any higher than that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back