Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I now intent to run the LG 34WK95-W via TB3. As the LG 34WK95-W only implements an Alpine Ridge controller the two mini-DP port inputs of the GC-Titan Ridge are still treated as two separate DP1.2 ports. And that' also why unfortunately I see two screens under macOS at present without any fix for this issue. Display settings DP1.4 seems to be a must also via TB3. With display setting DP1.2, no image on the LG 34WK95-W.

I think your screenshot shows that the display uses a Titan Ridge controller: pci8086,15ec is "JHL7540 Thunderbolt 3 USB Controller [Titan Ridge 4C 2018]" which has driver named AppleUSBXHCITR where TR = Titan Ridge.

Is it possible that Thunderbolt mode supports 5K with both DisplayPort 1.4 SST (Titan Ridge) and Dual Link DisplayPort 1.2 SST (Alpine Ridge) methods or just the latter? Another method could be DisplayPort 1.4 MST similar to DisplayPort 1.2 MST used by old 4K displays before they started using DisplayPort 1.2 SST but I don't think they would go back to that method.

It would be useful to have a utility that can dump the entire DPCD (DisplayPort Configuration Data) of both Thunderbolt DisplayPort links. The EDID of the two displays might be interesting (post the EDID hex data here?) but the DPCD will tell what kind of connection is allowed.

I wonder if the display can support 5K2K 60Hz using the Moshi USB-C to DisplayPort cable (connect the USB-C end to the Thunderbolt port). The notice on the LG UK website says that USB-C only supports 4K 60Hz, but the manual says the max resolution of the USB-C port is 5K2K 60Hz.

Reactions: kgp
Apparently yet compatibility issues yet with Titan Ridge under 10.14.1. Does not work either with macbook 15" (2018)

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8621179

Just to keep it in mind: I am running 10.13.6 and can display 5k via a MacBook Pro 15" via TB3 with no issues. However, my lid is closed during display, I do not need a 2nd display.

Apparently yet compatibility issues yet with Titan Ridge under 10.14.1. Does not work either with macbook 15" (2018)

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8621179

Glad I saw this before I bought one. It's baffling. I don't recall there being these problems with Thunderbolt 2. Dang. Anyway, has anyone else here run the "Instruments" app while hotplugging to record what bad thing happened where. I did and I'd like to share it, but IDK if uploading a file that's in another forum counts as a double post. I found some interesting addresses and messages that were recorded with the app. LMK if you want to see the labeled screen capture.

@kgp -here ya' go... I hope this is of use. I was also trying to record data by moving some of the knobs that tie into the software/consloe for this UAD Apollo, just to see if I could make the Instruments app record something along the TB connection. I'm using the GC Alpine Ridge TB3 card, the rest is in my signature. All-Apple dongles and cabling.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...l-p2715q-4k-60hz.252989/page-102#post-1861933

Last edited:
Glad I saw this before I bought one. It's baffling. I don't recall there being these problems with Thunderbolt 2. Dang. Anyway, has anyone else here run the "Instruments" app while hotplugging to record what bad thing happened where. I did and I'd like to share it, but IDK if uploading a file that's in another forum counts as a double post. I found some interesting addresses and messages that were recorded with the app. LMK if you want to see the labeled screen capture.

I am trying right now to run the monitor on my X99 rig with an Alpine Ridge. Nothing straight either.

Just to keep it in mind: I am running 10.13.6 and can display 5k via a MacBook Pro 15" via TB3 with no issues. However, my lid is closed during display, I do not need a 2nd display.

Maybe the problems are related with Whatevergreen. However, I boot into black screen without it. Vegagraphicsfixup does not help at all in this issue.

Everything would be straight and easy if there would be some effortable DP1.4 splitter and one could simply forget about TB and connect to PCs via the switch simply.

Everything would be straight and easy if there would be some affordable DP1.4 splitter and one could simply forget about TB and connect to PCs via the switch simply.
You haven't confirmed that the USB-C connection can't support 5K without Thunderbolt yet. So you might have two DisplayPort 1.4 inputs.

Last edited by a moderator:
You haven't confirmed that the USB-C connection can't support 5K without Thunderbolt yet. So you might have two DisplayPort 1.4 inputs.

I do not have a USB-C to DP1.4 converter and the latter approach would not help me at all. There is only 1x DP1.4 connector on the monitor and I have 2 PCs with a Vega each. I can just connect one PC via DP1.4 and to do so, I simply use one of the Vega DP1.4 ports which perfectly works with the appropriate 5K resolution. If there would be a second DP1.4 port on the Monitor, I could also connect the second PC simply via the DP1.4 port of its Vega. A USB-C to DP1.4 converters is basically useless in this context and just provides another DP1.4 connectivity that I can't sue because of the single DP1.4 port implementation of the LG 5K2K.

BTW... Also the DP1.4 port of the GC-Titan Ridge works flawless with the LG 5K2K.

I think your screenshot shows that the display uses a Titan Ridge controller: pci8086,15ec is "JHL7540 Thunderbolt 3 USB Controller [Titan Ridge 4C 2018]" which has driver named AppleUSBXHCITR where TR = Titan Ridge.

Is it possible that Thunderbolt mode supports 5K with both DisplayPort 1.4 SST (Titan Ridge) and Dual Link DisplayPort 1.2 SST (Alpine Ridge) methods or just the latter? Another method could be DisplayPort 1.4 MST similar to DisplayPort 1.2 MST used by old 4K displays before they started using DisplayPort 1.2 SST but I don't think they would go back to that method.

It would be useful to have a utility that can dump the entire DPCD (DisplayPort Configuration Data) of both Thunderbolt DisplayPort links. The EDID of the two displays might be interesting (post the EDID hex data here?) but the DPCD will tell what kind of connection is allowed.

I wonder if the display can support 5K2K 60Hz using the Moshi USB-C to DisplayPort cable (connect the USB-C end to the Thunderbolt port). The notice on the LG UK website says that USB-C only supports 4K 60Hz, but the manual says the max resolution of the USB-C port is 5K2K 60Hz.

Here are the SwitchResX EDID dumps:

1.) DP1.4 port Titan Ridge
2.) TB3 Port Titan Ridge

Attachments

• LG HDR 5K Titan Ridge DP1.4(OK).txt
    12.7 KB · Views: 90
  • LG HDR 5K Titan Ridge TB3 (2 Displays).txt
    14.7 KB · Views: 139
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back