Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this really necessary ? More cores equal more power draw, then more heat production. Need for a more expensive liquid cooling system. Spend a lot more money to get a job done at a slightly faster rate, that can already be done by what you have. If you've already spent nearly 2000 dollars on an 18 core i9 why even bother with this ?
New chipset = potentially more PCIe lanes (seems likely).

Hm so this reloads it and then you restart? Interesting... yeah I do like that the 10GB will be onboard but don’t think it’s worth the price difference for one less pci device and the hassle of selling my original sage.
No restart needed. After running these two commands it works after 10 seconds. And of course you would need to do it after every restart. Or to make it semi-permanent - reinstall SmallTree kext "as usual" :)

BTW Nvidia SSDT works great, thank you for that! I think I finally have everything working perfectly, except this network problem.

No restart needed. After running these two commands it works after 10 seconds. And of course you would need to do it after every restart. Or to make it semi-permanent - reinstall SmallTree kext "as usual" :)

BTW Nvidia SSDT works great, thank you for that! I think I finally have everything working perfectly, except this network problem.

Oh that’s good news! I’m sure you could make a script that runs it automatically on each reboot. Already dropped off my board at fedex but oh wells the original sage is still good :) Awesome glad that worked out for you!

@cloudconnected666 just curious if you lose 10g and go to about this mac->system report->Ethernet it’ll show no cards installed. But when you run those two commands and go back to system report does it show up again?

Ioreg will also show fakepciid vs smalltree8259

Under PCI and one of the 10GB cards it’ll show MSI: Yes when it’s installed vs No

Last edited:
@cloudconnected666 just curious if you lose 10g and go to about this mac->system report->Ethernet it’ll show no cards installed. But when you run those two commands and go back to system report does it show up again?

Ioreg will also show fakepciid vs smalltree8259

Under PCI and one of the 10GB cards it’ll show MSI: Yes when it’s installed vs No
I think I tried today and it shows there after running these commands, yes. Seems like it fixes the problem temporarily before restart.

I think I tried today and it shows there after running these commands, yes. Seems like it fixes the problem temporarily before restart.

Hmm so if we make a script to run those two commands on each boot then 10GB shouldn’t be an issue.

Update on LG 34WK95U

So I have jumped into the cold water as we say and I can now report about the new LG 5K2K display in combination with our beloved Hackintoshs.

The behavior after 2 hours of testing is unfortunately not as expected. There are many things to notice:

1. The crappy display resolution during boot-up is history. I wrote @kgp in the past that he should switch from DP to HDMI in order to get a clean boot sequence. This can now be reverted. DP 1.4 seems to solve this issue.
2. Full resolution under Windows with RTX 2080 Ti and DP 1.4 confirmed
3. Full resolution with MacBook Pro 2017 and TB3 confirmed
4. BUMMER: As soon as you try to run full resolution via DP 1.4 under Hackintosh OSX Mojave, you are screwed. This was THE big thing I was hoping for. It would have bypassed all TB3 related GFX to TB3 to monitor solutions and would have given us just a clean DP 1.4 5K2K connection. It is so sad to realize it is a working thing under windows and not under MacOS. The biggest aesthetically acceptable resolution is 3440x1440. This is nothing better than former 4K displays by LG and they are way cheaper nowadays.

Since I am out of PCI lanes, I am not really closer to 5K2K on Hackintosh and I am thinking about returning the LG monitor.

:thumbdown :banghead:

Update on LG 34WK95U

So I have jumped into the cold water as we say and I can now report about the new LG 5K2K display in combination with our beloved Hackintoshs.

The behavior after 2 hours of testing is unfortunately not as expected. There are many things to notice:

1. The crappy display resolution during boot-up is history. I wrote @kgp in the past that he should switch from DP to HDMI in order to get a clean boot sequence. This can now be reverted. DP 1.4 seems to solve this issue.
2. Full resolution under Windows with RTX 2080 Ti and DP 1.4 confirmed
3. Full resolution with MacBook Pro 2017 and TB3 confirmed
4. BUMMER: As soon as you try to run full resolution via DP 1.4 under Hackintosh OSX Mojave, you are screwed. This was THE big thing I was hoping for. It would have bypassed all TB3 related GFX to TB3 to monitor solutions and would have given us just a clean DP 1.4 5K2K connection. It is so sad to realize it is a working thing under windows and not under MacOS. The biggest aesthetically acceptable resolution is 3440x1440. This is nothing better than former 4K displays by LG and they are way cheaper nowadays.

Since I am out of PCI lanes, I am not really closer to 5K2K on Hackintosh and I am thinking about returning the LG monitor.

Something is definitely going wrong over there at your side... I would not see any reason why with a DP1.4 of a Vega 64 8GB the max. resolution of the LG 5K2K should be limited to 3440x1440 pix under macOS.. This makes no sense at all.. Even I am driving my LG38UC99 @ 3840 x 1600 pix resolution and 75 Hz (my display is 4K UWHD and just supports DP1.2).

I am convinced that you messed up something in the configuration. If you are not able to properly configure the display under System preferences try to use SwitchResX instead.

I am sure that also @izo1 can give your further helpful advises.

Good luck and please demonstrate patience. No reason to trough everything just after 2 hours of playing.

BTW.. to boot my system via HDMI is totally useless... while the boot resolution would be adequate, my monitor would drive @30Hz under macOS via HDMI...

Last edited:
I would rather have more patience and more money in my bank account. ;)

Time is money...
If it saves you several minutes on a job you perform many times a day, it doesn't take long for the gain in speed to pay back for itself.

I will happily pay $2000 if it saves me several days worth of wait by the end of the year... I also assume you don't make your clients pay for the time you're waiting staring at your screen while waiting for a job to be complete.
If you do, the person who did spend than $2k will be better value for money than you

Update on LG 34WK95U
4. BUMMER: As soon as you try to run full resolution via DP 1.4 under Hackintosh OSX Mojave, you are screwed. This was THE big thing I was hoping for. It would have bypassed all TB3 related GFX to TB3 to monitor solutions and would have given us just a clean DP 1.4 5K2K connection. It is so sad to realize it is a working thing under windows and not under MacOS. The biggest

So basically, you're saying that there's no DP 1.4 availability under macOS. not too surprising though, the only machines with DP 1.4 availability is the macbook pro 2018 with an AMD graphic. And most of the time, the AMD isn't active, the intel 630 is. And the intel only supports DP 1.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back