Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I am currently running 10.13.4 with the supplemental update installed. However, I still have a persistent problem.....

First, I have the fix for the Vega fan installed -- works fine. Also, I am using the VegaGraphicsFixup & Lilu kexts as well. Second, I am using a single display -- LG Ultrafine 5K.

The trouble I am having, is that just about every time I boot up, only half of my desktop appears --- the right half of the screen stays black (see attached picture). If I then unplug the thunderbolt cable from the back of the display, and plug it back in, I get the full desktop.......except, OSX does not see the camera or speakers built-in to the display.

I am confident that this is not a problem with my video card or display, as I also run Windows 10 off of a separate boot drive in my machine. When using Windows 10, I have never had this or any kind of display issue.

Any of you guys have any thoughts as to what is going on, and what I might try to fix it? As always, any help would be greatly appreciated.

With VegaGraphicsFixup it should just work, I don't' have the LG one but the HP, but internally the connection is the same (2 DP streams).

Maybe for your case, just look at how to enable thunderbolt hotplug. At least when you replug the screen the camera and microphone will continue to work

It may be worth noting that you need to boot under 10.13.3 several times before the AQC107 get recognised (about 5 times)

Also, rather than using this patch:
Code:
AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion      0F84C003 0000      90909090 9090      Aquantia patch ©Mieze

you can rename the "built-in" property with clover into something else and it will have the same effect.
The advantage of this method is that it will likely survive a macOS update (as the first Mieze patch depends on a particular instruction set)

Did you read the recent update of my guide at all?

I clearly mention the necessity of booting several times with 10.13.3 (just 6 times are btw no warranty and I had to totally switch of my rack several times in addition) to perform the firmware update.

I also provide the patch of Mieze...

Maybe you want to explain others in more detail how to rename the built-in property in clover? This certainly would be a contribution appreciated by everybody.

Many thanks and cheers,

KGP

Here you go.

Few notes:

1. Remove the Broadcom kexts if you don't have the wifi module I do.
2. Change the boot properties to the correct ones for your system (usually default works), mine is customized for my own system. If you use these your system probably won't boot so edit the config.plist before you start using it.
3. Edit X299USB.kext that matches your system chasis if needed. I am using the onboard USB3.0 ports (2x front USB header) on my chassis.
4. I'm not sure what GPU you're using on the Designare EX, but I'm using a Vega FE. If you use nVidia, remove WhateverGreen and Lilu and follow the nVidia GPU guide.

You know... I tried to switch from an RX 560 to a GTX 1060 and I never could get iTunes video working. Then I bought a RX 580. Tried to config everything the same as before, still no workie... I had to remove Lilu, Whatevergreen, and the Nvidia fixup kexts and restore your version of Lilu and whatevergreen. BINGO, it all works again. I am happy. Not sure why the newer versions failed. Thank You again.

With VegaGraphicsFixup it should just work, I don't' have the LG one but the HP, but internally the connection is the same (2 DP streams).

Maybe for your case, just look at how to enable thunderbolt hotplug. At least when you replug the screen the camera and microphone will continue to work
Just curious, does the HP 5K display allow you to view BIOS screens when booting?

Just curious, does the HP 5K display allow you to view BIOS screens when booting?

The LG 5K Ultrafine does, so I don't see why the HP wouldn't.

@kgp I wanted to stop back in and say thank you. I've built a really nice rig using your work and documentation, and I'm grateful. You didn't have to write this all up, nor continue to answer endless questions, but I appreciate that you did.

Bravo :)

Reactions: kgp
The LG 5K Ultrafine does, so I don't see why the HP wouldn't.
I have heard that the Dell 5K will not display BIOS screens --- never having owned one, I don't know first-hand if this is true.

I'll look at this --- is it easy like a Clover kext or kernel patch?

You know... I tried to switch from an RX 560 to a GTX 1060 and I never could get iTunes video working. Then I bought a RX 580. Tried to config everything the same as before, still no workie... I had to remove Lilu, Whatevergreen, and the Nvidia fixup kexts and restore your version of Lilu and whatevergreen. BINGO, it all works again. I am happy. Not sure why the newer versions failed. Thank You again.

You don’t need WG or even Lilu (unless you’re pairing with another kext) with 10.13.4.

I removed WG and only have VegaFixUp to enable the other DP ports.

All works perfect day in and out. The only downside is Adobe still hasn’t optimized their apps over the years for macOS. AECC2018 has been horrendous lately. The UI lags (and it’s not related to a Hackintosh, this happens on real Macs I have too.)

:headbang:I have a question that has most likely been asked here, but worth a shot if anyone has time :wave:

I have 2x 27” Apple Cinema LED displays (mini dp to dp) and all works perfect.

However Amazon Prime Video won’t play back in HD due to hdcp. These monitors have HDCP even though they’re very old by today’s standards (I’m waiting for Apple to release new displays in 2019).

I tried Shiki but it’s a no go with the Vega FE. I’m sure I’m making some dumb mistake since HDCP never really crossed my mind on a workstation.

Cheers :headbang:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back