Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
This problem is driving me crazy now.
'POWERCOLOR RX580 4GB is being used, the system will be down when the final cut H264 encoding is performed.

We are using the ' SSDT '.
Frame buffer is using '. '

Encoding other than encoding seems to be working well.

If I change the SMBIOS to Mac 6.1,
It is not system-like but has a failure message.
Why You are using ssdt for rx580? A editing all the time on FCPX with RX 580 and always everything was OK.

Hi,

I'm monitoring the Mac but I still saw it waking up on its own.
I applied the patch and copied the ssdt file in the patched folder.
The PC is waking up less often now but I saw it waking twice.
Im using also X299PlatformPlugin.kext for better power management. (Must be install in L/E)

Attachments

• X299PlatformPlugin.kext.zip
    153.5 KB · Views: 104
Hi KGP,
thanks for sharing this. I'm going to start a new x299 build following your guide.
I'm wondering if i can use the usb - c port on the mobo with a thunderbolt adapter or it's mandatory to use the
thunderboltEx card to have fully functional TB.
Another question is about the build noise level. I'll use it for audio production and i need it to be really quiet...
Thanks for all
Tozzo

Hi.

After I had read this a couple of weeks ago, I ordered myself one of those https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Wir...F-M-2-WLAN-WiFi-Adapter-with/32818286646.html

A DW1560. The article arrived today, a bit disappointed that it wasn't new and had obvious signs of tear.
But I installed the kext as you described...

Working beautifully now. I no longer have a broken wifi icon in the top bar ;)
Of course I have no use for wifi... but that's a detail :)

Edit: It works greatly with my Apple trackpad 2, with the stock BT modules (all cards: Asus, Gigabyte, ASRock), I had to always repair after each reboot (or use it via USB)

Great to know!

I received a *new* one from eBay for $28.

I was having issues with the USB Power Distribution with Bluetooth dropping out but with proper SSDT (or) the really cool X299 USB kext shared kindly by DSM2 it will get rid of those dropouts.

So far I'm loving the fact that I can have "native" Wifi/BT with this board. Really really solid board Gigabyte made without fancy and (to me) ugly RGB lights. It's more understated and looks like a workstation mobo.

I still haven't set up TB3 yet, but will soon.

Last edited:
Just download Clover Configurator, mount your EFI Partition from your USB Thumb Drive with CC.
Copy the EFI Folder, mount your EFI Partition on your MacOS Drive and Paste the EFI Folder in it and that’s it!
Alright, and the next time I boot, we'll see! I have it backed up on the desktop in case something goes awry. Thank you!

DSM2, Thank you! It was quite simple (I figured, but I work on this thing when not on the laptop; I didn't want to risk it). That was the hardest part, more than the selecting and buying, building, testing, Clover Configurator GPU adjustments, etc. :lol:

My only issue is: Is there any way whatsoever to get this UA Arrow Thunderbolt 3 audio interface working? @kgp mentioned in the initial guide that installing Windows on a separate HDD will cause the MB to recognize the TB3 card (set in BIOS to the corresponding slot, etc.) -- am I missing something? I believe someone else then mentioned using Clover Configurator to install Windows, so you could select either OSX or Windows at startup (like BootCamp); but then that could pose problems, according to what I recall reading, so it might be best to keep them separate -- and I don't mind hitting F8 at startup to select the OSX or standard Windows drive. Will installing Windows on a separate drive separately cause the MB to recognize it and no longer instantly freeze OSX when I plug in the Arrow?

(See, I have paid attention!) Thanks! :idea:

If I read correctly earlier and if this method works, should I disconnect the OSX HDD to avoid errors?

Great to know!

I received a *new* one from eBay for $28.
The one I got was 23 euros, after I complained that it wasn't new and had obvious signs, they refunded 10 euros (using the AliExpress complain thing)

I was having issues with the USB Power Distribution with Bluetooth dropping out but with proper SSDT (or) the really cool X299 USB kext shared kindly by DSM2 it will get rid of those dropouts.
I can't say I've noticed anything of the sort. but my only BT accessory is my magic trackpad.

The Designare is a beautiful board. I kept changing because I was always hoping to solve my sleep/hotplug issue, but no matter which board it always ended up working as poorly.
If it was to do it all again, I would get the designare again.
While the GB has less USB ports, they are all straight from the PCH.
On the Asus, only the USB 2.0 are direct, and 1 USB 3, all the 3 other USB3 are via an internal hub
And the USB 3.1 gen 2 ports are also sharing bandwidth.

More annoying, the Asus internal 3.1 gen 2 port is shared with the only usable PCIe slot for me (where I would plug the TB card). And if you plug anything there, the PCI slot is disabled. Worse, it doesn't implement the 3A 12V USB-C standard. The Designare does so much more nicely.

The Asus PCIe slot position makes it painful to upgrade. Two graphic cards will cover all PCIe slots but one.. With the designare 2 are usable.

And it's better build too.

However, total cost of the Asus with ASRock TB3 card was 150 euros less than the designare.
And I just can't be bothered re-doing the thermal paste on my processor.... 7 times I've done it...

The one I got was 23 euros, after I complained that it wasn't new and had obvious signs, they refunded 10 euros (using the AliExpress complain thing)

I can't say I've noticed anything of the sort. but my only BT accessory is my magic trackpad.

The Designare is a beautiful board. I kept changing because I was always hoping to solve my sleep/hotplug issue, but no matter which board it always ended up working as poorly.
If it was to do it all again, I would get the designare again.
While the GB has less USB ports, they are all straight from the PCH.
On the Asus, only the USB 2.0 are direct, and 1 USB 3, all the 3 other USB3 are via an internal hub
And the USB 3.1 gen 2 ports are also sharing bandwidth.

More annoying, the Asus internal 3.1 gen 2 port is shared with the only usable PCIe slot for me (where I would plug the TB card). And if you plug anything there, the PCI slot is disabled. Worse, it doesn't implement the 3A 12V USB-C standard. The Designare does so much more nicely.

The Asus PCIe slot position makes it painful to upgrade. Two graphic cards will cover all PCIe slots but one.. With the designare 2 are usable.

And it's better build too.

However, total cost of the Asus with ASRock TB3 card was 150 euros less than the designare.
And I just can't be bothered re-doing the thermal paste on my processor.... 7 times I've done it...

Sleep works fine for me using the X299 USB kext. I never use sleep, anyway, so it's not a big deal for me. I just let the displays sleep and have for the last 15+ years.

On the Designare, the 4 USB3.0 ports next to the ethernet ports are also based on a USB3.0 hub. As far as I know, the front panel USB headers that are on the mobo are true single ports and not a hub like the rear ports. The rear USB 2.0 ports are also not on a HUB.

The two things I still need to test:

1. USB-C
2. Thunderbolt 3

Haven't had any time to try these but will do soon.

To me, based on this guide and all the feedback here, this is probably the most stable Hackintosh I've ever built. There's never any freezes or hangups. And no need to deal with nVidia drivers on every update.

10.13.4 which is around the corner should iron out many issues and move us away from WhateverGreen and Liu, and the next .dot updates will make High Sierra very very stable. It's a daily driver for me and I haven't had any issues whatsoever.

I do miss CUDA though and I wish I had the Liquid edition of the Vega Frontier, but I got a good deal on this GPU so can't complain. I was never a fan of blower-style GPU coolers as it creates too much heat in the rear and also not enough to keep a very hot GPU like Vega cool. If I run any GPU benchmarks under Windows, it always hits 85c on full load, which I'm not a huge fan of. I had 2x Maxwell GPUs before and a 1080 and the latter was the coolest card. I need to shuffle around some fans and have more cold air hitting the GPU. Under Windows a lot of people with the Vega FE underclock the HBM2 RAM by about 5-10% and that chops off around 5-10c in temperature without impacting performance. Thankfully under macOS we can't really push the GPU to the max unless you're using bench tools like Furmark and The Valley.

Last edited:
Hi KGP,
thanks for sharing this. I'm going to start a new x299 build following your guide.
I'm wondering if i can use the usb - c port on the mobo with a thunderbolt adapter or it's mandatory to use the
thunderboltEx card to have fully functional TB.
Another question is about the build noise level. I'll use it for audio production and i need it to be really quiet...
Thanks for all
Tozzo

The Thunderbolt card is necessary for the direct to CPU PCIe lanes utilized by Thunderbolt 3.

I have yet to get mine working in Slot 3, I'll throw out the batsignal again for anyone who has it in slot 3 of their Asus to please let me know specifically what you changed in your SSDT.

Why You are using ssdt for rx580? A editing all the time on FCPX with RX 580 and always everything was OK.

The reason why I use it is because I have two monitors.
By any chance, is the graphics card you use 8 GB of memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back