Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really have no idea about that. Is that measurable? As in, if you let it idle before and after sleep, and take a photo of ipg, is it visibly lower after sleep? Or is this just something you feel?

After Wake, CPU Idle permanently drops below 1.2 Ghz frequently down to 1.0 GHz..

Screen Shot 2018-02-01 at 19.44.21.png

Not the it bothers me with respect to system performance.. It is hardly noticeable. No lag, nothing.. System behaves well.. But my PWM Fan led seem extremely sensitive in this frequency range and permanently change between illumination and led drop out after Wake when fan rotation drops below 200 rpm.

Well I am sure I can fix that somehow in BIOS by freezing min. fan rotation.

Only note that the CPU behaves slightly different after Wake at Idle! Else the CPU behaviour seems unchanged and not affected from Sleep or Wake! It is definitely not a change in the HWP settings after Wake as demonstrated before. I rather guess it is a weak desynchronisation between the threads and cores neither fixed by VoodooTSCSync nor your simplified kext.

Last edited:
After Wake, CPU Idle permanently drops below 1.2 Ghz frequently down to 1.0 GHz..

View attachment 310227
Not the it bothers me with respect to system performance.. It is hardly noticeable. No lag, nothing.. System behaves well.. But my PWR Fan led seem extremely sensitive in this frequency range and permanently change between illumination and led drop out after Wake when fan rotation drops below 1000 rps.

Well I am sure I can fix that somehow in BIOS by freezing min. fan rotation.

Only note that the CPU behaves slightly different after Wake at Idle! Else the CPU behaviour seems unchanged and not affected from Sleep or Wake! It is definitely not a change in the HWP settings after Wake as demonstrated before. I rather guess it is a weak desynchronisation between the threads and cores neither fixed by VoodooTSCSync nor your simplified kext.

Are you observing the same behaviour when you're not OC (BIOS on stock CPU settings)?

Last edited:
Are you observing the same behaviour when you're not OC (BIOS on stock CPU settings)?

Which relation OC should have with sleep/wake? System behaves else totally as expected despite the low Idle frequency after wake.. see no reason to check on OC..

@interferenc already provided you with the correct answer in post #4755.

Good luck,

KGP
Didn't see that one. Thanks, I'll try the old nvidia driver.

Btw I compared the file you attached in the last guide update post, it's the same size as the one I downloaded yesterday from post #1. I suppose this means that I flashed the new one yesterday, right?

Didn't see that one. Thanks, I'll try it.

Btw I compared the file you attached in the last guide update post, it matches the one I flashed yesterday. I suppose this means that I flashed the new one yesterday, right?

Not at all! Filesize mantained identcal between the two different firmware versions!

You are faster by flashing once more your BIOS instead of writing 20 posts full of identical questions, taking everybodies time.. ;)

Last edited:
@interferenc ,

please keep in mind the low CPU idle frequency after wake.

Else my lightning storm PWM fan led blinking issues at low CPU Idle frequencies after Wake have been solved by fixing the minimum fan rotation in BIOS to 600 rpm instead of 200 rpm :thumbup: ..

Thanks for your patience ;)

Lightning storm PWM fan led blinking topic closed.. :lol:

Last edited:
Alright, thanks for the correction

Thank you so much @interferenc
My machine is running great with your latest BIOS patches applied, with all xpcm related kernel patches disabled in Clover. Sleep and wake both work perfect.

For those that have problems with wake or sleep I would like to suggest you check in Terminal with command
Code:
pmset -g assertions
that there are no tasks or processes that are preventing the system from going to sleep.

FYI, I have set darkwake=0 in Clover and disabled Wake for network access and Power nap in Energy saver preferences. Enabling any of these gave me all kind of weird problems in the past, albeit with a completely different hardware. Also, when putting the machine to sleep or - letting it go into idle sleep - I like my machine to stay asleep and not wake once every hour for whatever. Just my 2c and YMMV of course :thumbup:

I also can confirm fully working Auto Sleep with boot flag "darkwake=0" enabled.

BTW.. Seems that with 10.13.3, the old energy settings with two scroll bars for "Computer sleep" and "Display Sleep" returned..

There are just two further settings which can be adjusted:

1.) "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" has to be checked.

2.) "Wake for network access " can be unchecked.

Former options like "Prevent computer from sleep" or "Power nap" apparently have been removed again.

Screen Shot 2018-02-01 at 23.32.08.png

Last edited:
Which relation OC should have with sleep/wake? System behaves else totally as expected despite the low Idle frequency after wake.. see no reason to check on OC..

Could be a BIOS CPU setting related to multiplier regulation, such as speedstep or turbo boost. Which is why I believe you should try to run stock settings and check if the issue is still there.

Wifi:

Hi Everyone, I'm a newbie, so I apologize in advance if this question has already been answered or if its a very basic knowledge.

Regarding the OSX WIFI card:

I am not getting a good speed or signal with the wifi card vs my macbook pro in the same location...

1) Does the 5g network work with this card? The wifi card doesn't seem to recognize 5g but 2.4ghz works fine, but very slow.

2) Is there a compatible longer extension cable/antenna for the WIFI card? That I can buy on amazon or ebay, etc....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back