Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's interesting that I was not able to complete this task using the BIOS EZFlash Update option under Tools, which is how I originally tried it. Regardless of the name of the file, it would not accept the patched BIOS file.

Because additional verification is performed by EZFlash in order to check the BIOS file is legit and from ASUS (that it wasn't altered), which is not the case when using a patched BIOS. Hence why we have to flash it the hard way.

I have a follow up question. I'm running into Aptio memory issues. I've tried all the various combinations but nothing seems to work, I continually get stuck at the ++++++, line. I'n going to go back an retry all combinations but if you have a combination that is working well, I would greatly appreciate the insight.

Could you please list the files you have in your EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder here?

Because additional verification is performed by EZFlash in order to check the BIOS file is legit and from ASUS (that it wasn't altered), which is not the case when using a patched BIOS. Hence why we have to flash it the hard way.

Thanks @Thireus for this information, good to know for future BIOS patching.

Could you please list the files you have in your EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder here?

I'm using KGP's EFI folder, so just the base ones he puts in there. Here's a screen shot:

Screen Shot 2018-01-28 at 10.54.30 AM.png

Thank You @kgp and everybody who contributed to this Life Saving Masterpiece Guide !!

I am successfully running High Sierra 10.13.3 with latest EFI folder and Bios Patch !

EFI-X299-10.13.3-Release-iMacPro1,1-270118 !!

System boots flawlessly no glitches so far! brilliant !!
Gpu works Oob ! no need for WhateverGreen.kext v1.1.4. and Lilu.kext v1.2.1 !

Setup :

Mainboard: Asus Prime X299 Deluxe
CPU: i9-7980XE (18 core, 4.4Ghz)
RAM Memory: Tridentz DDR-4 3200 Mhz 32GB (2x16GB)
GPU: XFX Radeon RX VEGA 64 8GB Liquid Cooling
System Disks: EVO 960 NVMe M.2 1TB
Power Supply: Corsair AX1200i
CPU/GPU Cooling: Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing RGB 240 Liquid cooling system
Case: Thermaltake View 71 RGB 4-Sided Tempered Glass

Thank you !!

PS.
was wondering if its possible to make the clover boot faster with maybe some flags turned off or on ?

After a clean install the boot process should not exceed a few seconds (max. 10 sec), independent of NVMe or SSD.. ;)

was wondering if its possible to make the clover boot faster with maybe some flags turned off or on ?

Check if your partition is APFS or HFS.

APFS boot takes more than 40sec (and lot of other stability issue are associated to APFS)
HFS+ boot takes about 10sec

Read more here: #4411

EDIT: In case you're using NVME.

Last edited:
Thanks @Thireus for this information, good to know for future BIOS patching.

I'm using KGP's EFI folder, so just the base ones he puts in there. Here's a screen shot:

View attachment 309166

Looks fine to me.

Check if you have the correct kernel patches enabled/disabled:

- KernelToPatch 1 (not required if you have a patched BIOS):
#1 (without this one you'll stay stuck on a loaded "using reloc block: [...] +++++++++++"
be030000 0031d2e8 72fcffff
be030000 0031d290 90909090
xcpm_core_scope_msrs © Pike R. Alpha

- KernelToPatch 2:
#2 (without this one you'll stay stuck on a loaded "using reloc block: [...] +++++++++++"
07000000 31d2e88f fcffff
07000000 31d29090 909090
10.13 Installer/Updater essential

In your case #1 must be disabled, and #2 must be enabled.

Check if your partition is APFS or HFS.

APFS boot takes more than 40sec (and lot of other stability issue are associated to APFS)
HFS+ boot takes about 10sec

Read more here: #4411

@haybear ,

Wrong! I have system disks in APFS and HFS+. Absolutely no difference between APFS and HFS+ in boot time if everything is properly set! 10.13.3 (17D2047) System boots within 8 sec., in depended from NVMe, SSD, APFS or HFS+...

Enjoy and have fun,

KGP

@haybear ,

Wrong! I have system disks in APFS and HFS+. Absolutely no difference between APFS and HFS+ in boot time if everything is properly set! 10.13.3 (17D2047) System boots within 8 sec., in depended from NVMe, SSD, APFS or HFS+...

Enjoy and have fun,

KGP

o_O

Well, I just switched from APFS to HFS with the same NVME drive. I can tell that really solved a bunch of stability issues, boot speed, and small system hangs (mouse teleport).

Slow boot with APFS and TRIM

The new APFS file system is much more sensitive to SSD hardware/firmware compatibility with regards to TRIM than HFS+J. Incompatibility will result in slow boot and other problems (battery status not showing, trackpad prefpane not showing, etc).

Two solutions available:
- disable the any TRIM patch you may be using (eg. no TRIM support for your SSD in that case)
- or, install on HFS+J

For installing on HFS+J, read here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...n-high-sierra-update-or-fresh-install.232855/

Maybe @haybear can see for himself if that resolves the issue. Assuming APFS is indeed the issue.

o_O

Well, I just switched from APFS to HFS with the same NVME drive. I can tell that really solved a bunch of stability issues, boot speed, and small system hangs (mouse teleport).

Maybe @haybear can see for himself if that resolves the issue. Assuming APFS is indeed the issue.

The information you provide seems outdated. When I tell you that after a clean install of 10.13.3 (17D2047) an APFS System Disk takes roughly 8 seconds in booting than it is like this. Proofed by my own system, sorry!

Thanks,

KGP

Last edited:
Hi KGP,
I have a quick question, I'm shopping your whole set up as much as I can, but I already have the GPU
ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1080 Ti DirectX. Does this work with the same reliabilty as the original set up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back